Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pee Shooter in the router wars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pee Shooter in the router wars
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I went & picked up a new toy for my small shop. A Gerber Dimension 200 CNC router. It is small and old but has a light of fight in it yet I'm told. It has almost 36" x 36" cutting area. I don't plan on running with the big dogs yet, but I will still have fun, and hopefully make money using it.

Does anyone have one of these still? I have to set it up & learn how to use it..perhaps without an instruction manual.

(I did a couple of searches on here & they came up blank twice.)

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Philip. I'd highly recommend finding a manual! I know you are a man and everything, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask for directions! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philip,

Follow the link to the Dimension 200x Router pdf based manual. If you are using ArtPath to push the router, that manual is here. Great little machine that is still used in many shops, daily. One I am aware of not to far from our location pushes out a lot of ADA type work.

Was recently up in your area to attend a meeting at the request of a client. [Cool] Beautiful! [Cool] Walked around and lodged in Saratoga Springs the evening prior then drove north in the morning just east (south-east) of your location.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow- Ask & ye shall receive.

Thanks Bob for the two links. You really saved me some time!

...and I think it should be peA shooter, not pEE shooter. Ooops. I don't think there is a little Graemlin for that one.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I like my fancy dancy MultiCam, I suspect you could turn out the exact same work on this machine. It might take a little longer, and you might have to work around some things I get to blast through, but the results should be the same.

It's not about the machine, but rather the person inputting information into it. I look forward to seeing some amazing things.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in school (5 years ago) I worked in a shop that had that same router. They bought it used and ran it just about all day every day for a few years without any problem that needed a service call. As far as i know it is still in use for address signs and things like that.

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's one with the "accordeons" on each sides... if so I worked on one of those.

I have to agree with Dan, a machine is a machine, it's just a tool like a brush. I've seen ugly s**t come out of brand new machines, yet some of the finest signwork that made me go "AAAHHHHH" was done using an old, old brush.

And for the "pee" shooter comment, you'll soon have snow on the ground to practice your calligrapee... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I thought someone was routing little Calvins...

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5095 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.

You can work this equipment much easier by getting one of the later software packages. They are user friendly, and will keep you from making mistakes.

A couple of these are ArtCam, & Enroute. RAMS is much cheaper, not 3D but does great V carving.

J.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy H. J. Hilliard
Visitor
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guy H. J. Hilliard   Author's Homepage   Email Guy H. J. Hilliard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil; You may have a pea shooter but I have a Mechano Set, A ShopBot. It arrives in a deceptively small (2' X 3' X 8.5') and heavy (1200 Lbs) box with "some assembly required". I've been running it for 4 years now with no problems other than minor lube and maintenance. It's not the prettiest, fastest, or most accurate machine around but for sign, hobby, and cabinetry work it is more than "good enough" and the price is still hard to beat.

Sorry to be contrary but I use RAMS to run my ShopBot and if the model airplane plug I just carved isn't 3D I'd really like to know what is.

Unlike Enroute and ArtCam, RAMS does not have a design function. All of the design work is done on another program and imported into RAMS to generate the instructions for the router (G-Code, PRT file, whatever). I use CorelDraw for a lot of my V carving and 2D cutting design work and Rhinoceros for 3D designs. And yes it does Great V carving.

[ October 16, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Guy H. J. Hilliard ]

--------------------
Guy Hilliard
Sawdust and Noise
CNC Routing /
Laser Cutting and Engraving
Brampton, Ont.
Canada

Posts: 164 | From: Brampton. Ont. Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guy,

Yep RAMS does fine for the level it's for but doing a testured background as Dan has shown, requires a bit more power in the software.

I too have a Shopbot and use RAMS driven by Flexi. I also have ArtCam Insignia. There not anyclose to the same.

Joe
www.normansignco.com

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the old saying goes, "Its not the size but how you use it!"

I looked around for ages for a Dimension 200 as I thought that would do me fine, then found a used Sabre 404, but got offered a great deal on a Multicam, and then an even better deal on an AXYZ [Smile]

Good luck with it!

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philip,
I have the D 200, it's a great machine with some quality engineering in there . I have used sabre 408's and the even bigger Tekcel router from OZ but now working out of my garage , find the 200 does all that the others do. They are all 3 axis routers. Cutting is 35 1/2" wide
by 31 1/2" long, but you can do pull throughs to any length. I have done 20 foot signs a few times on mine. If you can try and find someone locally and get some basic training. you will need it! the main thing in routing is that the machines do what you tell them to do 99% of scew ups are pilot error, its a big learning curve but as Dan has shown if you apply yourself to it you will get the results you want. e mail or call if you need any help any time
Cheers Terry
email terry@vintagesign.wanadoo.co.uk

[ October 17, 2005, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Terry Colley ]

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!