Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tinnitus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tinnitus
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the doc the other day, and ear nose and throat type doc, and he said he belives I have tinnitus. Dang ringing in my ears.
As long as I am working around noise,cant even tell it, but when its quiet its a bitch.
There aint much they can do for this ailment, some meds seem to help. It aint really bad, as long as it dont get any worse. Then I might have to walk around with a cd player all day. [Smile]
Anybody have any problems with this?
I know, I know, Im falling apart. First CTS, now this. Sheeeeessssh.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, me too....it sucks when you're trying to get to sleep in the quiet.....too many rock concerts when I was young I reckon! [I Don t Know]

Hang in there John

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have this...since I was 13. Someone told me once that what I was hearing was the sound of the cosmos...after that it didn't seem so bad [I Don t Know] . It's pretty annoying sometimes, but I've learned to live with it.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinnitus ...your friend for life!

Better get used to it!

Eventually you will learn to ignore it!

I started cometition shooting in High School, combined with being a Weapons Instructor and Range Master, I've had Tinnitus for over 50 years.

I only hear it when i pay attention to it, the rest of the time, I simply ignore it!

Learn to ignore it....or it will drive you crazy!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i call it deafening silence...thats the only way i could describe it. it just kinda takes a back seat to all the little voices. [Wink]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I've reached a point where I have to have some sort of noise such as a fan or HEPA filter running in the room just so I can sleep at night.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Broussard
Visitor
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Broussard   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Broussard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, here too. I got mine listening to the headphones too loud. I can never experience total quiet.

Funny thing, place I used to work at had a medical bus come over and test our hearing. I got in the little booth and when they shut the door it was pretty quiet except for the generator hum. That's when my ears started ringing. I heard the first few tones and pressed the button accordingly, but after a while I couldn't hear them and I was just pressing the button in the dark thinking, man I know there must have been a tone!

Got out the booth and the lady said you have a good bit of hearing loss. I then told her of my ringing ears.

It sucks. I heard it drives lots of folks into deep depressions. I look at it like this, I am the one who ruined my ears, so I'm stuck with it. What am I gonna do, kick my own a$$?

--------------------
Tony Broussard
Graphic Details Digital Media
Loreauville, LA

Posts: 395 | From: Loreauville, LA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill blames his tinnitus on being a drummer in a H.S. band. I think the "selective hearing" issue can be raised on occasion though! [Wink]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got it also, but ive done a lot of meditation and that helps take the mind off hearing it.
also during the day i tend to have either a radio or the tv going in the background and it stops the ringing or makes just enough distraction i dont hear the ringing.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's God's way of saying I've got yer number.
Only time I hear it is when I think about it.

Move to the Oceanside........it goes away.

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jack has a great idea there John!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
that's the PHONE! Answer it!

[Razz]

I'm sorry to hear you're fallin' apart at such a ripe young age . . .

Are you bein' followed by a Moon Shadow??

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some cases it's so severe that it can drive people insane to the point of suicide. My long friend and high school art teacher has it so bad that he goes months on end without seeing guests at all. I think I have some early signs of it coming on. Oh well, everything breaks down eventually.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who suffered really badly with that.
She was at the stage that she was crying half the time it was so distressing. She ended up going to a clinic in Calgary and they fixed her up with some type of machine that feeds her brain white noise which desensitizes it to the Tinitus. She says it is a lot more bearable now. She has to wear the machine for an hour or so a couple of times a day to keep the tinitus at bay. I'm not 100% sure of the exact details, but I know her state of mind sure has improved.
She also has to stay away from any loud noise or she has major setbacks.

Edit .... for more information check out the smart google ads at the bottom of the page [Rolling On The Floor]

[ September 30, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee . . . I had no idea it was such a potentially serious condition . . .

Is it that sound in your ears that sounds like when you put a seashell to your ear, or like a whole bunch'a crickets far-off??

Is it (only) caused by being around loud noises all the time, like loud music, tools ect, or is it a hereditary ailment, or caused by other things like what you do or don't eat??

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have it a little bit, and not loud enough to worry about. Probably from exposure to jet engine noise on the flight line when I was in the AF. Mostly, it's like a high pitched single tone.

Yeah, we had jets then, in addition to the fabric, wire and duct tape biplanes.

Don't really think heredity or diet has much to do with it. More likely environmental racket.

bill preston

What did you say?

What?

[ September 30, 2005, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Bill Preston ]

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a mild case of it for years. A couple years ago it started getting worse. Then dizzy spells started up. It worsened into full blown vertigo with throwing up. Frequency increased, then the hearing loss started. One morning I was laying in bed with my good ear on the pillow, awake, and I saw my wife talking to me but couldn't hear what she was saying. I also noticed from switching the phone from one ear to the other, a significant change in volume and tone of the ring tone.

I went to the EN&T doc and had my hearing tested. Permanent loss they said. [Bash] They put me on Prednisone for 2 weeks. With no change the diagnosis was Meniere's disease. [Bash] [Bash] While there, they took my blood pressure it is was extremely high. After taking BP meds for a month, the dizziness went away, my hearing was restored, and the tinnitis is almost completely gone. [Applause]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Wow Dave! [Applause]
That is wonderful that you saved your hearing which is a very precious gift.

Hey, but . . .if you ever did lose it . . .at least you know 'sign' language . . . [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember hearing that using aspirin will accentuate the ringing. Evidently it thins the blood effectively enough that it rushes through the ear differently.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it bad from an ear infection years ago. Usually its just that same old tone but sometimes it gets so loud it drives me crazy.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what??

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it as well. I can lay in bed at night and actually pick out 3 or 4 different tones all ringing in my head at once.

Most definately aggravated by loud noises. Even driving with my windows down is enough to aggravate it.

Not fun.

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicola Rowlands
Visitor
Member # 5371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicola Rowlands   Email Nicola Rowlands       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get it too...its worse when i drink too much coffee or red wine..and the fact i have an underactive thyroid doesnt help it is very annoying

--------------------
Nicola Rowlands
RGS Signs & Screenprinting
Reval Green
Finavon By Forfar
Angus scotland
01307 850 260

'learn from the mistakes of others..you can't live long enough to make them yourself'

Posts: 108 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it was a widespread problem, but never thought this many people here would have it.
I performed in rock and country bands since I was 16 years old, so I guess thats where mine came from. Its nowhere near bad enough for me to
lose my mind, although sometimes I think thats already happened. It does get a little bothersome at times when its quiet, but I usually do something to block it out.
Ah the nuances of growing old-er. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many years at the race tracks for me. And I guess the concerts had something to do with it. Like Dave said, high blood pressure can also cause it.

Just look at how many of us innocently have contracted it. Imagine in a few years, all these young kids listening to that headbanger music and rap crap with 40 thousand watts, inside the car. Their most common conversation will be "huh?"

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pencil me in too, been 30 years, the Doc can't help,loosing a lot of high freq. ability now (can't hear higher freq. like womens voices, sirens,kids)

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always had a super high-pitched ringing in my ears, but I have considered it normal. I only only hear if I pay attention to it, but it's always there.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Hey Roger . . . is that why you can't hear a siren until it's pretty much almost right immediately behind or you or beside you????

I just figger'ed that was something to do with aerodynamics and proximity rather than my own hearing . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too. [Bash]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had it for as long as I can remember. It's very seldom fatal, LOL. I got mine from a very high fever when I was a little kid and improved on it with guns, saws, and high wattage guitar amps. The only thing you can do is mask it with a sound conditioning device or a fan.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had it since I fell off the back of a truck in 1983. (No..it wasn't a turnip truck..lol)
Since my head injury, I have had several inner ear infections which caused hearing loss. The ringing is just in one ear. It is a very shrill high pitched ring, it gets louder when I am very tired. After hearing it for 22 years, it seems natural.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!