Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Get it done...so it can sit here...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Get it done...so it can sit here...
Jeff Spradling
Visitor
Member # 1615

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jeff Spradling   Email Jeff Spradling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the longest you’ve had a finished job sitting before the customer picked it up?

How do ya get’um to pick’um up when they drag their feet? [Bash]

ONE of my recent ones...A 4’x8’ has been here since June 6th...they needed a truck and the sign done right away. (Repeat customer) That was when they called in early January...I got the proposal done January 14th...they didn’t come and look at it until April 26th...I did the truck and sign June 6th...employee picked up the truck...I have called the owner twice about the sign...”they’ll get down here (3 miles) in the next few days”. [Confused]

The last job I did for them sat here 5-6 months...I finally delivered it...it was paid for up front so it wasn’t a lack of money issue.

This time they paid half down, so there’s a balance owed, therefore I don’t want to just deliver it.

Do ya do like automotive shops and have yet another policy posted stating a storage fee will incur if items are not picked up within a certain time after completion? [I Don t Know]

Just pondering out loud I guess...

Jeff [Smile]

[ August 03, 2005, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Spradling ]

--------------------
Jeff's Lettering
Lisa,Luke,Dara, and Jeff Spradling
5742 Shattuck Rd. Belvidere, Il.
61008 815-544-0167

Surviving another day.

Posts: 626 | From: Belvidere, IL USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1986, took the photo today.

As their business card. A mixture of painted graphics and 4B cut vinyl lettering.

Don't think I would have picked it up either! [Smile]

-

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, Arthur....I like it. It's older than my second child!
Darn, I thought I had Jeff beat. My longest hang-arounder was a 4x8 aluminum ballfield sign that I moved around for 18 months.
Right now I have sitting on my plotter a dozen small stickers for an auto body that have been there 10 days that they were in a huge hurry for.
It happens to all of us, Jeff.
My worst $$ one was a big-ticket deposited-on sign that was supposed to be picked up 3 days before Christmas but sat until 3 days after New Years. Santa had to use my Visa card that year.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got one from seven years ago that's still sitting here- it works OK to stop draughts in a corner of the shed. It was for a shed building company, needed in a hurry, then they decided to mothball their company & go into concreting & bob-cat work.

It was a sort of 'favour', but it was never collected.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jill, try the squint test on it!

I loved the 4B in those early years.
"Now, what font shall I use on this job? I KNOW! – Helvetica Medium ".

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, Arthur, I was thinking the same thing- but there was always Clarendon if you needed variety!
(Isn't it so 'mid-80s' !)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a realtor pull up in his Hummer to pick up signs he had ordered 6 months ago. And I have stickers laying there that were ordered but not picked up and I have no idea who ordered them; my son took the order and didn't write it up; a "cash" job you know. The phrase "I need this yesterday" has definately lost it sizzle for me. I just play along and work it in with the rest of my stuff.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 3 double sided alumalite 4'x4's & 3 magnets sitting here for 3 months, kept calling the guy, & the last time I spoke to him, he said he got into a little trouble with some coke & a girl.

I then was told by a cop's brother that I would never see my money, forget the guy, he is in jail!!! Yep, seems he & some girl were doing coke, she ODs, his son resuscitates her, then they do more, & she dies. Then, they propped her body up in field, no one found her after 3 days, so they went back & buried her. It bothered the 16 year old son & he told his mom, & she called the police. The father is in jail for abuse of a corpse, & the sons have been in & out of juvenile detention & foster homes. The mom is now a crack addict.

Very very sad.

I ended up stripping the alumalite & re-using it, & actually, the guy did pay for the material cost up front.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One year on a pair of magnets. the customer recieved a call from my helper after a year and said he forgot, even after I repeatedly called in the early months. He then came in and ordered a pair of small banners he was in a hurry for. I took my time, putting it on the bottom every time it came up, after a month he calls up and says are his banners ready? I said yep...come on by... he shows up 3 days latter. Orders 3 more small banners he's in a hurry for...that's been a few months ago....

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got two 8x4 sheet metal signs doing the rounds of the shed for the past three months now.

They always seem to be in the way! PITA!!!! Can't store them outside 'cause they packed in cardboard and it looks like it might rain at last.

Fully paid for. Just waiting to be collected.

I refuse to spend any more money on calls to his cell phone reminding him [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Luck
Resident

Member # 5292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Luck   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Luck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jeff,
I have an aluminum 4'x10' sign leaning against the wall of my garage for the Boys & Girls Club. Paid in full from last June! They had to include it in their budget last year and ordered it before they had tuckpointing work done on the old brick building. Tuckpointing still isn't done so the sign is still here. It's too big for my mini van to deliver. I have other magnetics and coroplast signs that are still here from last year that DIDN'T get paid for. I'll probably never see that money. Trust too many times and the law of averages shows up!
I have learned to get deposits more often from this lesson!
Sign-cerely, Steve

--------------------
Steve Luck
Sign Magic Inc.
2718-b Grovelin
Godfrey, Illinois 62035
(618)466-9120
signmagic@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 870 | From: 2718-b Grovelin Godfrey, Illinois 62035 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Feb of 2001, I went back to see what I could do to help my father who was in drastically failing health by that time. While I was looking around in the basement by the laundry room, I noticed a 4 x 8 sign, completely finished for one of his big customers. I asked him about it and he said that they guy had ordered it, he made the sign and then the town where the guy had his business changed the sign ordinance and the sign wasn't legal anymore. I don't know the details. I believe that the sign had been down there for some time.

In Dec of that year, my father finally passed away and I went back to clean out his house/studio in January - 2002 by this point - and the sign was still there. I was there for a couple of weeks and the last Saturday I was there I had a memorial service for him at the house. Just before the service (just a gathering really) the guy shows up to pick up the sign. LOL

I was so startled I just pointed him to the basement and told him to take it. Talk about ballsy.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimberly, are you saying this guy knew your dad had passed, & then came to get it? Rude!!!!!

Did he pay for it?

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Takes all kinds, Kimberly.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!