Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Possible To Convert a .tif to a vector w/ Corel or Flexi?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible To Convert a .tif to a vector w/ Corel or Flexi?
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible to convert a .tif file to a vector using either Corel Draw 12 or Flexi 7? Thanks! Tim

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can in coreltrace...if the tiff is good quality.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what the drawing tools in Corel are for just import in the tif and draw in vector right over it and when done delete the tif. Or like Karyn said you might be able to use coreltrace but I am not a fan of trace programs trying to figure out how to vectorize a bitmap so I can use it as a signmaker.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be stuttering

[ March 22, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Steve Eisenreich ]

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catalin Dretcanu
Visitor
Member # 4136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catalin Dretcanu   Email Catalin Dretcanu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 100% with Steve. I'm not a newbie to use trace. Sorry if I upset someone. [Smile]

--------------------
Catalin Dretcanu
TIPART GROUP Ltd
www.tipart.ro
Address: Bucharest, ROMANIA
Phone: +40 722 621 512
E-mail: catad@yahoo.com

"Do or do not...there is no try"

Posts: 83 | From: Bucharest, ROMANIA (Europe) | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was my only alternative. I can do that, but this is for one small banner, so I was trying to save the customer some art time. I wish these so called "designers" would realize that their customers are more than likely going to need a vector file. I've been getting more jpg and tif crud lately.

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF YOU HAVE AN "EDGEII" YOU CAN SIMPLY PRINT THE TIFF, THEN APPLY TO BANNER

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR,, if you have an encad you can print the entire banner in one swoop.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me tomorrow and I will be happy to take you through vectorizing in Flexi.

Have a great one!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexi does it fast and cften rather clean.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6722 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fred Weiss
Visitor
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Weiss   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Weiss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flexi also has added some additional autotrace choices in later versions. When you get a low rez bitmap, try out the one called Bezier. It is, at times, remarkable.

--------------------
Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
4620 Lake Worth Road
Lake Worth, FL 33463
561 649-6300
allcompu@allcompu.com

Posts: 427 | From: Lake Worth, Florida | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim..Take Bruce up on the offer of assisting...

I don't use Flexi but one tip he gave me has worked well for me in Corel.

He knows his stuff!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8884 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim,
Go back to your customer and tell them that if they want to use the logo from that file it wll add another $65 to the job. It's amazing on what the customers can come up with when you put a dollar sign on it.
If they say go ahead you have your vectorizing work or an Edge print covered.
Either way, DON'T fall into the habit of working for free. I speak from experiance. It's feels so good to be the "nice guy" and "fix" their art but it sets a bad precidence with the customer.
Having said that, I'm a big fan of Adobe Streamline. Don't forget that any selection path that you can do in PhotoShop you can save as a work path and export as an Illustrator file also. I've been using that technique quite a bit lately.

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1357 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Flexi, select the bitmap, go to the bitmap pull down and select bezier, pull a rectangle around the bitmap. Then you can delete the bitmap.

If it's a clor trace, you need to select how many colors you want to use, and hit the green checkmark.

It requires a few seconds and no skill and very few decisions.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6722 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Thanks, Rick.
Bill, I intend to charge the guy for the vectorization. I was just trying to find out if there was a way to just import it. As you know, I'm not real familiar with all the file types and which are bitmap and which are vector, but I'm a learnin'! [Wink]

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim
Good point!

What is really a Bit-Map or Vector file!

Well one is a mechanical formula (True to the curves and lines needed to perform the image without any Colour)(Line-Art Only)

And the other is only a dot matrix that will assume an edge with tone's of Colour to smooth the Edge....
[Confused]
[Confused]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive been testing a vectorizer program called Eurovector.
MAde by Eurosystems the same ppl who make cocut pro. So far it seems to be very capable of turning bitmaps into vector files. Has any one else tried this one?

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!