Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Printing out a sign proof in Corel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Printing out a sign proof in Corel
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone, when working in corel 11 on a sign layout that is larger than your printers paper, like say a 2' X 3" sign, is their any way to print out a proof of the layout for a customers approval. I have done the print preview then fit to page, but it doesnt look right, as it just crams the picture on your paper . Is their any way that it will print the border of the size sign you are working on and scale it down any further on the page, so that it is a small picture on the page with an outline of the sign shape. Thanks

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio just clic on the corner and drag to the siz you want-lets sayyour page is 8.5x11" bring it down to 4"x6"and print?????

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you have a printer that will handle 24" material corel will print to it.....if your asking if you can print 8x11 sheets and tape them together....you can do that to in corel. corel will only print what it sees on the desktop page. so yes you could do this you would need to put registation marks every 8 x 11 of the 2'x 3' drawing. print each one and then tape it together.
or take the drawing as a jpg to a print shop or another sign shop tht has a big printer and have it done that way....also if you hada inkjet wide format printer 13 x 19....it will make a good print of that layout. these printers have come down in price and if your gona do many of these you could invest in a 13 x 19 printer, these will also do 8x11, 11 x 17....and down to 4x5 pictures. seen some for under $400.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
draw a box that is the same size as your page before you print.
in the print menu go to layout
reposition image to center
and choose the % of scaling

you now have the border

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try working with a drawn rectangle for the sign shape rather than adjusting the page size to the size of the shape. Then drag your entire drawing down to fit on the letter sized page. Or copy and paste into another file or page, in order to keep the original size as a work file.
I hope I did understand your question right.
Good luck.

One more advantage when you have a drawn shape, you can also give it a shadow which looks cool for presentations, or you can add posts, grass,etc.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok lets see if I can give you an idea of how I work in CorelDRAW.
Always know ahead of time the size of the sign you are building and use that page size to layout your sign as in your case set page size at 2' x 3'. Next after you do all your work designing your sign this is where I double click the rectangle tool this puts a rectangle that is 2' x 3' directly on the page. Now since your layout is perfect and it now has a rectangle on the page you can choose to remove any color fill and outline or add a color and fill. Now in the print dialog when you fit to page it now uses the rectangle as what it uses to fit to page. If you then print straight to your plotter just remove the rectangle or leave it and use it for a weeding border.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lotti
You work very similar to me but I do alot of different types of design work from page layout to signs so I have to have my page set in advance. I find if you shrink down or up a layout and the line thickness is an important factor it will not change in proportion to the drawing unless you work with your line set to scale with image.

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corel has the ability to design in scale and has tools to call out the measurements for that specific scale to fit the page size of your printer.

Once the sign is approved, size it up and start making the sign.

If the sign is full size, scale down 8.333% That will give you 1"=1'-0", then scale it 300% and that will give you 3"=1'-0". This should fit horrizontally on an 8 1/2 x 11". If you have a ttle block add it, another thing, if you have various signs of different scale for presentaion, the designing in scale metheod is better than "fit to page" because your title block and placements will be consistant, and makes for a more proffesional presentation.

[ February 10, 2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Rick Chavez ]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julio,

In print preview you can actually grab the corner of the selected item and shrink it. You can also click on the item and move it around on the page in the preview window and it will print exactly what you see.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw your image the right size, say two by three feet on a large size page (We like 100'X200'). Select it and duplicate it. (Now you won't have to resize it back up to the original size.) Take the duplicate and shrink it down to a size that will fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 page by grabbing one of the corners with your mouse and pulling it in. Go up to 'view" select "show" and then check "printable area". That will give you a bounding box to put your image in so it will print. Move your image so it fits in those dotted lines and print. [Smile]
AND make sure you sign it or put your name on it somewhere so that hopefully it can't be duplicated by another shop. [Wink] AND CHARGE them for the sketch! [Applause]

[ February 10, 2005, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Jane Diaz ]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
select what you want to print
Ctrl-p,
on the print page select the layout tab,
Image position and size
select"FIT TO PAGE".

Et voila!

Afterwards you can select the preview, and relocate and/or resize on page.

Working corel 10 here
Hope this helps

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My method is probably old fashioned but it works for me.

I do all my layout work in full scale, with the page size set to the way I have it set up for plotting.

When I want to print a proof, I select the whole layout and duplicate it. I then re-size the duplicate to 8" wide. (or 10.5" wide if I am going to print in landscape view)

I then re-set my page size to letter size (landscape or portrait) and move the smaller duplicate onto that page.

Hit file>print and it prints.

I do the same thing for sending e-mail proofs. Duplicate, re-size to 8" wide and then export at whatever resolution is acceptable (usually 72 DPI)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8883 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julio Tome
Visitor
Member # 4701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julio Tome   Email Julio Tome       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your help, I went from not knowing how to do this to now having about 10 ways to go about it. You guys rock!!!

--------------------
Julio Tome
Affordable Graphic DeSIGNS Co.
Surrey, B.C.
email@affordablesigns.ca

Posts: 34 | From: Surrey, B.C. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, don't cha just love it here! I think it's a hoot that there are so many ways to do the same thing... you just need to pick which way is easiest for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Keith
Visitor
Member # 4499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Keith   Email Jack Keith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi y'all;

I work backward to most of you. Figures, I guess. I'm kinda a backwards person.

I draw to scale, having started designing signs way back in the dark ages BC (before computers). I used a drawing board, etc. for a long time before I bought my first computer and Corel 2.0...whew, does that date me! I have a proposal layout with my logo, etc. that I drop in the finished drawing and then print it. If it works I use the transform menu to increase the project to the actual sign size, taking care to check the "scale with image" box in the outline menu. That is really only necessary if I am going to print it on the Color Camm. Otherwise, I save as a .cmx file and open it in Flexisign for plotting. Flexisign ignores the outlines when plotting.

Since I paint a lot of the stuff I do and use an overhead projector to layout on the blank, I need to start with a small size drawing anyway.

OK, I better go do some of the stuff I've been talking about.

Jack

--------------------
Jack Keith
Keith Signs and Graphics
12400 Stemmons Drive
Cabool, MO 65689

Posts: 131 | From: Cabool, MO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that 11 ways Jane,.......

I'm with Rick Chavez here on working in exact scale. I always design in a scale that my design will fit on a standard page for presentation purposes.If I intend to lay the sign out by hand on a very large wall or billboard & or simply lay cut vinyl the measurements are there with the help of a simple architect or engineers' scale rule. If you don't know how to use this tool,...it's time you learned.

In coreldraw 11 once you have a standard page,lets say for this circumtstance a standard letter sheet will work(8.5x11) in landscape orientation,you need to change the scale of the drawing.

To do this you choose the layout menu then click on the page setup option in the drop down menu.
Now that you have another window open with page setup options,in the left window expnd the document entry,then expand the guidlines entry under that and finally select the rulers heading.

On the right side of the window there are numerous settings that can be changed to make your document
better suit your design needs,but for now we will deal only with the edit scale button.

Once you choose the edit scale option button another window will appear,..inside you will find many options for many different scales,all industry standards for different design procedures. For your purposes on this design you will need a scale that will allow you to put a 24 inch design inside the margins of a standard letter size page.

I have found it much easier over the years to use an architects scale as I measure in feet and inches and that type scale is best suited for this purpose for accuracy.

So lets do the math,...the page is a little less than 11 inches considering the printer margins and your design is 24 inches wide at the largest measurement. one inch equals a foot will make your 24 inch design two inches wide by about a quarter inch high,..way too small! So lets find the scale that the largest measurement will fit neatly on your page,....the next larger scale in inches to feet is 1 1/2 " =1',...that would make the 2 ft design on your page three inches by 3/8" on your printed page,..still too small,...finally we get to 3" equals a foot,.....the design will be 6" x 3/4" this will be quite ample for your client to read if the design has only one line of copy so lets go with that scale,....start clicking ok as you close the options window and corel will make all the elements in your design read as if they were actual size,...

Keep in mind they are to scale,....a blueprint so to speak,...the drawing need not be as big as a house to actually build the house,to coin a phrase,....Exact measurements only smaller to fit on your design. Now when you print the design not only do you have it to scale you can take an architects rule and measure the layout to acurately get measurements for production and layout (spaces and position of copy etc). This works great for communicating between the design station and personel involved with any production.
Everone has exact measurements if they can read a scale rule and you provide the scale in the lower right corner of your presentation.

On another note,...I always design to scale if there is any design approval and or presentations involved ,but this leaves a situation where if I have to output from corel to a perifial device such as a plotter or digital printer the actual size of the design is not actual size,...To remedy this I use the save as command and name a new file the same name with cut or print behind it(joe_customer_truck.cdr will become joe_customer_truckcut.cdr) . I then reset the scale in that file back to normal and enlarge the design back to actual size,for production purposes so it can be used for my reference only at a later time,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or twelve!
You could use CorelCapture to take a screenshot or use a little app. such as UltraSnap. With UltraSnap you can set or pre-set your maximum width or maximum height then pre-set the dpi (usually 72) and insert a picture in an e-mail or print out.

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!