Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Proposal Review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proposal Review
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had the second woman refuse to sign my proposal in less than a month, I am wondering if my wording is wrong. Excuse the long quote below, but this is what my proposals say, and my brother the lawyer even OK'd this prior to printing.

I have been using the same proposal since 1993. I do plan to get new ones soon, as the sketch fee listed is only 25 bux, and the vehicle washing fee is low too. Apologies to Brooce for the over-use of SIGNAGE! Please let me know if this is out of line:

-Terms and Conditions-
We propose to furnish materials & labor, as described above, for the estimated sum of:_______
Colors to be determined upon design approval, if not already done.

All artwork is the property of Jill's Custom Signs. It cannot be reproduced or used until purchased from, or work completed with Jill's Custom Signs. If you should use this artwork/design but not secure our services, Jill's Custom Signs will bill you. A maximum of two (2) sketches will be provided. Additional sketches will be provided for a fee of $25.00 per sketch.

Signage over $200.00 requires a 50% deposit ($_____) upon design approval. This deposit will go for materials andwill assure your place on our work schedule. Signage under $200.00 may require a $25.00 deposit, depending on the type or size of sign requested. FULL PAYMENT is due upon completion. All signage is the property of Jill's Custom Signs until paid in full. Signs left on the premises three working days after notification of completion will be charged a daily storage fee of $2.50.

All signs are subject to a 6%PA sales tax, unless otherwise specified. Please do not insult our creative intelligence by questioning our prices.

Any changes to the above proposal need to be addressed beyond this estimate. This estimate is an approximate cost for the signage detailed above. Any unforseen changes that arise will be conveyed to you before going any further. Any needed permits for the proposed signage are to be obtained by the customer. Vehicles must be washed prior to lettering or a washing fee of $10.00 will be charged. This estimate is good for 45 days from the following date. Thank you for choosing Jill's Custom Signs!

(space for my signature, the date, and the client's signature, printed on a two-part paper)

Any suggestions on new wording would be welcome. I want to change the part about the sketches to say that designing will not commence without a deposit.

The woman who refused to sign today insisted that this is a contract not a proposal. It says "proposal" and "estimate" all over the place.
Hellllp!
Thanks & love.....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get rid of the "Please do not insult our creative intelligence by questioning our prices" It sounds too confrontational

maybe "I supply high quality work with superior products and stand behind all of my creations and pricing" --This needs tweeking, but try to say it nicer with out assuming they are out to insult you when they wonder why the cost is so high.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Williams
Visitor
Member # 846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Williams   Email Ed Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would leave that line out, also.

--------------------
Ed CJ Williams
CJ Graffx
Christiana,Pa.
cjgraffx@comcast.net
Just have'n fun....

Posts: 296 | From: Christiana,Pa. | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that vote number three.... Sorry. I just don't like it.

As far as her not willing to sign it, me thinks she got scared when she read that you get paid for something no matter what... meaning she probably was looking for a "freebie" sketch to shop for the lowest price.

There is nothing other than that to bind her to anything. Why do you suppose she was so against signing it? She is right in one regard as to it being a contract... it says she can't steal your design without compensation.

Damn shame... being made to be held accountable for keeping your word. Sheesh. Go figure.

Stick to your guns!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the reason the woman refused to sign on the dotted line was because she saw she wasn't going to be able to "have her way" when doing business with you.

It could have happened because your proposal says things she didn't want to hear.

In that case it did its job.

I do have to agree about the pricing line though. Although I agree with your sentiment, there's got to be a better way to say it.

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, I'd cut the hard numbers as much as possible. 45 days is a bit long to hold prices.
All artwork remains the property of Jill's Custom Signs unless written change of ownership is completed. Any reproduction or use other than by Jill's Custom Signs without written permission will be charged accordingly.

The agreed-upon sketch fee will include a minimum of two (2) sketches. Additional sketches will be provided for an additional fee.

Projects over $200.00 requires a 50% deposit and signed estimate for work to be scheduled. Balance is due at completion. Projects under $200 must be paid in full in advance. All signage is the property of Jill's Custom Signs until paid in full. Signs left on the premises three working days after notification of completion will be charged a daily storage fee.

All signs are subject to PA sales tax, unless otherwise specified. If this project is tax exempt, a valid tax exemption certificate must be received by Jill’s Custom Signs or tax will be charged.

Any changes to the above proposal need to be addressed beyond this estimate. This estimate is an approximate cost for the signage detailed above. Any unforseen changes that arise will be conveyed to you before going any further.

Any required permits for the proposed signage must be obtained by the customer.

Vehicles must be washed prior to lettering or a washing fee will be charged.

This estimate is good for 30 days.

Thank you for choosing Jill's Custom Signs!

If she was just suppost to sign to acknowledge the stipulations about design, etc than I can see her point.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too verbose, there's a time & a place for everything. For a simple job this one is overwhelming.

In a specific proposal lay out your terms & conditions for that particular job, not your entire shop policies and views on life in general.
Don't say that a deposit may be required, and never state why you need a deposit, your reasons for requiring a deposit are your own; no explaination is necessary.

State exactly what will be required for the particular quote, ie. Terms: Design deposit $____, fabrication 50% down, 50% on completion. 6% sales tax not included.
Clearly specify delivery schedule, no mention of 'and will assure your place on our work schedule'. .

'All artwork remains the property of Jill's Custom Signs.' will cover you for copyright, and not just 'til they buy 1 sign from you. The rights are yours forever.

Don't list charges that may occur, that you're not likely ever to apply ie. "Signs left on the premises three working days after notification of completion will be charged a daily storage fee of $2.50" - When was the last time you collected for that one?

Municipalities & Contractors are likely used to long contracts, the average small business may not be.
Yer scaring the bejaysus out of them. [Wink]

Love,

Mike

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dido on leaving that one line out. We use $500 as our benchmark for the 50% down. We don't require it of our better customers. It may be the good old boy way and the wrong way to do it, but it is the way it is until we start having numerous problems. With the $500 benchmark, I don't have to bother with deposits to pinstripe somebody's car or pickup.

We must live in a more trustworthy area, because I never get money in advance under the $500 figure, and have been stiffed under 10 times in 26 years. I think you can come on so strong it makes you appear like you've got an angle. We rarely ever take deposits,and because of the repeat work, we have long lasting reliable customers.

I keep hearing about deposits and security measures, and I think it all depends on your area and customer pool. I guess we've been lucky, because the vast majority of our customers are on the up and up. We can kind of tell the deadbeats and with them -- well -- we're too busy.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mike's comments are correct and to the point.

And I'm pretty sure an accepted proposal constitutes a contract. If not, then what is it? A contract is simply an agreement to do certain things for certain compensation. Don't you mean for the accepted proposal to be that?

We require and receive a design deposit of $100 to $500 and/or a 50% deposit on all jobs in our shop. We do this by simply listing payment terms of "50% on order, 50% due on receipt". Our cover letter on all proposals asks our customer to "confirm that all information is correct, including payment terms and delivery date". It goes on to say that production will begin "upon receipt of your deposit and approval of artwork". "To accept this proposal please sign and return by fax or e-mail".

There is no lengthy text on the proposal itself. Just a description of the work, the price, payment terms and delivery date.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always require a 50% deposit on all jobs, regardless of total involved. As soon as I begin work, or buy materials for a customer, I begin using "their" money, not mine.

edit:
BTW check out my SHORT policy. If you get through THAT, look at the FULL policy. [Rolling On The Floor] Short Policy
I reserve the written policy for new customers whenever I get that "feeling" up the back of my neck.

I would think it is necessary to have the policy posted in a visible manner in your shop. Let them know it is there, and then it is up to them to read it or not.

[ February 07, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Gene Golden ]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much what everybody else is saying, Jill. I think what needs to be in there is something along the line of "if you accept this proposal, then it becomes a contract, if I get the job."

That is poorly worded, but you get the general idea.

bill preston

[ February 07, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Bill Preston ]

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask for the deposit before any design happens and get paid for your time whether they like the design or not.
A timeline would be good, a budget not to exceed on the design, the sign, and the install, for the descibed work they are asking for, that way they get an idea of the seperate cost.

On the initial call you already have an established budget, what they want and what it's going on. Then propose up to thier budget.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn Right it's a contract and one which she was afraid to break. Get those prices up, my 12 year old won't wash a car for $10, and take the line out, so you don't insult their intellegence(goes both ways).

Edited for the usual finger glitches.

[ February 07, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JILL'S CUSTOM SIGNS

• SIGN PROPOSAL
  • ARTWORK: $xx.xx
    (describe here if a consultation, & illustration, or a scan & trace etc. "Includes one revision")
  • SIGN: $xx.xx
    (describe materials, dimensions etc. "layout to match approved design")
  • INSTALLATION: $xx.xx
    (describe specific fasteners or mounting methods as needed. "vehicle work to be installed on clients CLEAN vehicle")
  • TAX: $xx.xx

All artwork is the property of Jill's Custom Signs.

A 50% deposit is required upon design approval. The balance is due upon completion.

This estimate is good for 45 days from the following date. Thank you for choosing Jill's Custom Signs!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jilly,

Got a question for you to ponder:

How do you feel when you read the 'fine print' and see all the otherwise hidden charges?

Personally, I become skeptical, wonder what I'm getting myself into. Get any 'proposals' for a credit card lately?

I'm with Mike O'Neill;
quote:
State exactly what will be required for the particular quote, ie. Terms: Design deposit $____, fabrication 50% down, 50% on completion. 6% sales tax not included.
Clearly specify delivery schedule, no mention of 'and will assure your place on our work schedule'. .

I would also add whether installation and permits are included, or not.

Curious by nature, I ask plenty of questions prior to proposal which also gives me the chance to 'feel out' the client and verbalize art fees, up-charges and conditions, etc.

I don't normally itemize pricing as Doug mentions, unless required. Simply, the bottom line. Though, I itemize these things when I figure a job, in the event I'm asked or need to re-figure the job later on.

As for washing a vehicle, it's figured into the job whether the client washes it beforhand, or not. I use a bucket of soapy water and a hand sweep. (not a wisk broom) I can wash a vehicle in a matter of minutes, including tires and rims! It's no detailed job, but uniform and impressive. Then, prep the areas for vinyl, with Rapid Prep...

Hope this helps...

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the record, I will offer my reasons why I do some itemizing. If they want another signs & the artwork is done, that price is already figured. If they want to hire me now for art & maybe later for a sign... that price is already figured, if they want to install themselves to save money (I like that, less liability & I can stay here in the shop & make money)that price is already figured... & lastly... if they are bidding apples & oranges because the shyster down the street rolls out one low number & tells them later that art & install are extra... this may clue them in to asking what all is included in that other price.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

oh yeah, I forgot to add... quickbooks keeps track of these different accounts, so that is convenient for tracking where the money comes from to help in marketing strategies etc.

Of course, that may not be needed on proposals that don't turn into jobs, but QB makes the quote into an invoice with one click, & I figure my quote based on the seperate value of the different aspects of the work anyway, so to input it into QB is easy enough.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I don't think Cheryl is saying don't itemize the costs. Rather don't show the itemized costs on a quotation, and again it depends on the situation.
I work mainly with large industrial clients, if they request a price (rfq) for a sign, that, for them, is one line on a Purchase Order, they don't want to see 2 or 3 line items on the quotation. They don't care how you calculate it, all they want is the total cost. Often these companies will do repeat orders using the first order price.
I've had cases where I've quoted on 10 small decals, included layout charges in the total price, and then had repeat orders in quantities of thousands at the same per unit price. If I'd quoted on thousands to begin with the unit price would have been much, much lower, but who am I to question a signed P.O.? [Wink] If these companies want me to requote on thousands, I'm happy to do so and already have my costing worked out. On the other hand if I know an item is likely to be repeated, I won't charge artwork at all, even on a small initial order, thus making my quote (bid) low and assuring me of the contract.

I guess a good addage would be never to put more information on a quotation than is necessary to meet the needs of the particular client.

[ February 08, 2005, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Mike O'Neill ]

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Eisenreich
Visitor
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenreich   Email Steve Eisenreich       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Please do not insult our creative intelligence by questioning our prices.) This line insults the customer I would not sign it for this reason alone.
Some customers must haggle with prices it is just something they do. Question to you Jill "have you ever found a product or service that you thought was over priced?" Now how would you feel if you asked about the price and the business owner told you that you where insulting. When you buy a car do you pay the price on the sticker?

[ February 08, 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Steve Eisenreich ]

--------------------
Steve Eisenreich
Dezine Signs
PO BOX 6052 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Alberta
T9M 2C5

Posts: 774 | From: Cold Lake | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
The line: "Please do not insult our creative intelligence by questioning our prices." startled me. I would leave that out.

If you just intend this to be a proposal and are only wanting them to sign it to acknowledge that they understand that your artwork is not to be reproduced, I would have a line at the bottom beside a space for their signature:
"I have read and understand that this document is a proposal only and not a binding contract. I also understand that all artwork obtained from Jill's Signs is the copyrighted property of Jill's Signs, unless otherwise noted, and has been submitted to me for the purpose of making a sale. I agree to pay Jill's Signs in full for any artwork if used by me."_John Hancock_
If you do submit artwork before payment I would state what the fees are somewhere in there and I would save all of the $10 washing fees etc. for the actual contract when closing a sale.

But it works better for me not to do any artwork without a deposit. I would also charge a 50% deposit on ALL work.

[ February 08, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike O'Neill:

I guess a good addage would be never to put more information on a quotation than is necessary to meet the needs of the particular client.

Exactly.

Don't try to answer questions that haven't been asked yet, and don't volunteer any more information than what's absolutely neccessary.

Proposals are supposed to be very generic in nature, just a rough idea or concept. They should not be long novels, customers just want a very simple answer to a very simple question and they're always open to changes.

A proposal turns into a quote after more detailed discussion about specific requirements.

A quote becomes a contract after all the details are hashed out, a price is agreed upon, and a signature is written.

Don't put the cart before the horse. I used to give longwinded responses to emails, spent lots of time on each one getting detailed information together.. when I never heard back it would sipp me off. One day I was talking to my dad tellin him about it, he asked me to forward one of my replies to him, and he says "Hmm. Your response is too long, gives me info I never asked about. I wouldn't buy from you either. I made the same mistake too."

Now, I get a one-liner email, I give a one or two line reply. If they have any other questions they can ask in another email, if not it's a guaranteed sale I can take to the bank.

Keep it simple.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!