Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Corel Users -- Good Use for the Transparency Tool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corel Users -- Good Use for the Transparency Tool
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everybody,

Been awhile since I posted here! I just posted a a good step-by-step at www.signs101.com and thought people here might benefit from it. (Or, hey, I thought it was a good step-by-step, anyway).

Instead of reposting it, I'll just put a link in here:

Using the Transparency Tool For Better Vehicle Lettering Designs

I'm "SouthPaw" over at Signs101, BTW.

Cheers,
--William Bass

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty swift. I'll do it from now on.

I use Transparency all the time to vectrize images and logos from bitmaps.Import the BM into Draw, stretch it out nice and big, and lock it. Then make transparent all the geometric objects that will go into the new vector-file. Some effects, like Contour, won't work on a transparency. So, opaque it until that's done, then bo gack to Transparancy so I can sort-of see what I'm doing.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool tip William!

Thanks,
Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty good tip, Thanks

P.S. maybe get that dent in the door fixed

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Bass   Email William Bass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Denis,

I probably can't afford anything like that right now, but I was considering putting somewhere on the van:

Paint & Body Work by Ivan

As hurricane Ivan is the fellow who put the dents and dings in it.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Posts: 636 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
William or? what would be the purpose for that proceedure?Still learning the computer. [I Don t Know] [Bash]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

Hi Randy,

Well, mainly it will give you more realistic and better-looking printouts to present to customers.

Now if you don't present printouts to customers...it probably is very unneccessary, I guess.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

William Bass
Visitor
Member # 4929

And I'm sorry, I have discovered that the transparency operation should be set to "MULTIPLY" not "SUBTRACT"...it's even BETTER!

SUBTRACT helps lighter colors very nicely, but I noticed that it made dark colors TOO dark.

MULTIPLY is JUST RIGHT and makes light and dark colors look very realistic.

--------------------
William Bass
wjb71@bellsouth.net
Northwest Florida

Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use transparency a lot in CorelDraw.
Now that I'm having more and more work printed instead of cutting in vinyl there's no extra time involved in rendering special effects. One of my favorite tricks is to copy and paste (duplicate) an item directly onto itself and give the new layer a different fill with a transparency so you can see some of the other color or texture show through.

Touch and drag on the item while the trans tool is selected to make it a gradient. Have one color or texture 'morph' into another. Add a hint of texture to any panel (slate, stucco, woodgrain etc) using transparent bitmap fills.

Bitmap fill not quite the right color - no problem, turn yellow pine into mahogany by duping the object and changing it's fill to a transparent maroon. You never need to have a boring solid panel of any color again by using multiple layers with differently angled and colored gradient transparent fills.

And that's just with the 'Normal' setting. I must experiment now with the 'Multiply' setting. Thanks for the tip Wm.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice....thanks

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1257 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!