Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Digital Auto Library

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Auto Library
Steve Thomas Greer
Resident

Member # 4566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Thomas Greer   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Thomas Greer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Crew....

Just recieved my 2005 upgrade Digital Auto Library outline Pkg from Christian.

Let me tell ya this stuff is AWESOME!

Give Christian a call 1-888-843-1325
or e-mail info@digitalauto.on.ca
or check out his site at www.digital.on.ca

let him know Steve from ABRACADABRA sent ya!

--------------------
Steve Thomas Greer
ABRACADABRA SIGNS & DESIGNS
102 Stanley St. Ayr, Ont. Canada

Posts: 602 | From: Ayr, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Thomas Greer
Resident

Member # 4566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Thomas Greer   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Thomas Greer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
opps sorry crew his website is www.digitalauto.on.ca

--------------------
Steve Thomas Greer
ABRACADABRA SIGNS & DESIGNS
102 Stanley St. Ayr, Ont. Canada

Posts: 602 | From: Ayr, Ontario. Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you would make a great salesman Steve. [Thanks]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christian does not only provide high quality rendings on a huge volume of current vehicles every year, but the amount of detail he goes into to make sure the dimensions are dead on accurate is mindboggling.

Anybody with a need for accurate vehicle rendering, you will find no better than his state of the art collections.

I've done plenty of vehicle renderings, and after speaking and corresponding via email with Christian, I bow to this guy's work!

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not trying to be a Smart Azz here, but Why? When a digital camera is all you need, you can't get anymore accurate than that. I'm sure his collection is great, but why? Is there something more to this than I know about? Or is the "Look" or "Feel" of a hand rendering, is what it's all about. Just Asking.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Neil,

If you have to time to go out and photograph just about every car and truck from 1993 to 2005 you may have an extensive collection like DAL but you would not be able to manipulate the images at all nor the availablity of having ALL of them at your fingertips.

Not to mention when you done photgraphing all the autos what will you have invested in time to do that?

[Razz] [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, you load the vectored art, enlarge it to be true to life, and then you can take your software measuring tool anywhere and have completely accurate dimensions, of any of the vehicles parts, interrelated or separate.

No need to go take the digital photo, or no need for the customer to drive the vehicle by. I ask for make and year, then I open the template, color the vehicle appropriately, and then design right on that.

When I first get the vehicle on the lot, after design approval and costs are settled without ever having to meet, ( Credit Card capability and Technology combine to allow that so well),
I test a single dimension on the car to see if I did not make a mistake and load the wrong model or year. And then I can trust any of the template

I do a lot of vehicles, and would feel lost without DAL and it's templates for anything on wheels and the beautiful and useful book Christian puts together so I can easily locate them all.

I have a 4x8 photo board in my shop, which mostly displays photos of lettered vehicles. Often I put the color printout of the design on a DAL template next to a photo of the finished car.
It impresses people. They study my board.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been with Christian on photo / measuring expeditions before and the time he puts in measuring all the details of a car is amazing - literally hours.

He explained to me one time about parallax distortion and how while you can roughly position graphics from a digital photo, they don't exactly fit. To the best of my understanding this is the result of both where you are standing in relation to the vehicle and the distortion from the lens.

He takes the pictures, stitches them together, then measures the whole vehicle and properly creates the templates. It's quite a piece of work.

The net result is that you can design on the template then cut the vinyl and never have to see the actual vehicle until it's time to install the graphics.

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pretty much with the others on this one, Neil. It is mostly a matter of convenience.

While a digicam has its place in the tool box, the matter of resizing a digiphoto to real life size in a cutting program is not something I want to experiment with.

The other thing that comes to mind is this--- how big a file in any cutting program will a photo create---just because it is a photo with all the extra background etc. Not being real adept at photo cropping, weeding out un-necessary details and so forth, give me the DAL anytime.

FWIW.

bill preston

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Coplen   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My knowledge of Christian's work is along the lines of Mark, and he's described it very well.

Christian takes all sort of measurements. Also, he takes 3 -5 photos of each view (sides, front and rear. Between the measurements and using photos from different angles to defeat the angle of view distortion you would get from working with one photo only, he gets as nearly perfect scaling as is possible today. I don't remember the tolerances, but it's 1/4" or less as I recall.

The benefits of having that accurate a vehicle rendering are that your designs will fit when you go out on a job for an install. Vinyl is expensive, and more expensive to do one job twice.

As icing on the cake, a well done vector vehicle rendering makes for a very professional proposal to show to the customer.

Without this type of tool, working from a digital photo of the vehicle will do in a pinch. When I started working as a designer of boat/RV graphics, we did all of our drawings on top of photographs. We gradually switched to vector vehicle renderings as the customer liked them much better and therefore we made more sales. The difference between that and DAL is that we drew all the renderings in-house, with as much as a day devoted to each new vehicle as it came in for our artwork.

If you choose not to purchase something like DAL, doing your own renderings is cost inhibitive for the majority of jobs, and working on top of photos is pretty much the only sensible option.

--------------------

Posts: 4084 | From: ... | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

One other thing. We drew the vector renderings from one photo. I'd never heard the term "paralax distortion" before Christian mentioned it and explained it to me. It was more common than not that our first prototypes didn't fit when the salesman took them to the customer, and we would have to tweek them, sometimes two or three times, to get a perfect fit.

One design sale for us grossed a minimum of $250,000. (graphics for both sides and one pair of custom names for a vehicle x a minimum 1000 set order averaged $250 to $350 per set...the largest order I was involved with grossed $2 million, for one of the largest RV companies in the US). So, putting that much time into the renderings was well worth it. That would NOT be the case for a shop designing graphics for one vehicle.

[ February 01, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Don Coplen ]

--------------------

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Digital Auto Library is a great resource...but I offer a different perspective that probably aligns with Neil's.

I suppose it depends what variety of auto's you tend to do....and truthfully, I can see both sides of the coin here...

Mainly, I would be doing trucks, and vans from the Big 3....I tend to like the look of a digital camera shot of the vehicle, with graphics applied through Photoshop. I think the presentation is much more appealing and realistic.

Measuring is a cinch...and changing colors isn't all that difficult.

BUT....as Myra and some others suggest: if you're a very busy full time shop....the convenience of having a template would be invaluable.....

although I think that the presentation wouldn't be quite as impressive as a photo....

Is this important? I don't know that it is or isn't....

Time savings would definately be a factor though....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worked with his vector outline of vehicle before, They are a great tool BUT!

I prefer the digital camera way as far as a selling point of view. The customer see's the layout directly on the vehicle. That as sold lost of vehicle work for our shop.

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had DAL since 2000 and it is a good tool but truthfully, I don't need to be incredibly accurate so I rarely ever use it. The customer drives the vehicle to the shop, I measure the doors or whatever, write down the measurements, lay it out and git-r-done. No need to measure it with a micrometer only to cut it with an axe.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Signs Now gave ya an axe to cut vinyl? [Wink]

--------------------

Jim & Chris hetzler
Visitor
Member # 1709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim & Chris hetzler   Author's Homepage   Email Jim & Chris hetzler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use the digital camera on almost every job in our shop, when we make the initial contact with the customer either at their business or ours we always take a photo of what ever it is we are working on, either a vehicle or business window. We give a couple of color combinations and design layouts and they can see exactly what it will look like before we letter it. Its what we have been doing ever since digital cameras have been around. The customers love it!!!
Just our view....

Hetz

--------------------
Jim & Chris Hetzler
JC Hetz Studio
513 W 3rd St.
Muscatine, IA 52761
563-263-2803
jhetzler@machlink.com
www.jchetzstudio.com

"We are the one that makes you look good!"

Posts: 137 | From: Muscatine,Iowa,USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Digital cameras are the way to go IMNSHO, unless you are doing an all over wrap. For doors, graphics, or even pinstriping it is a simple matter for us to take the pic, throw it right into SIGNLAB, size it up by measuring a couple spots on the vehicle and placing corresponding measurements on the picture. Done it for fix or six years, no prob whatsoever. Tried DAL and did not like it. Customers just plain like to see it on THEIR vehicle.
As for having a library, that is just the point, I dont need to! I take the pic of the vehicle I need and that one ONLY. No need to be tethered to annual updates of images, HUNDREDS of which I will never ever use.

[ February 01, 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Barry Branscum ]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Digital cameras seem to be the best way, what about Truck caps, decals, seams and the lot. I've done hundreds if not thousands of vehicles using digital cameras, and never had an issue. Just measure a door, upscale in the design software, and there's never an issue, and like some said, the customer is imazed that they can see their own truck lettered right before their eyes... an Extremely powerful tool in my eyes.

Here's an example, before and after, to the trained eye you can tell what's before, but can most people?

-

-

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really good example Neil.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well there are 2 sides to this coin. I see more value in having an extensive library within my reach rather than having a customer come by, me go take a picture, make sure the angle is correct, measure the door, import it in, size it up to the measurement I took, and then letter.

With DAL, I would have already had the template in and had half the lettering done before the customer warmed up his vehicle to come over.

Not to mention the digital camera point is limited to a customer that already has the vehicle they are lettering. I have many customers start the design process well before the vehicle is in my thier hands.

taking a digital picture is too limiting and very time consuming compared to the DAL library.

But if you are comfortable with that then go for it.

BTW Congrats Steve!! enjoy~

[ February 02, 2005, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Coplen
Resident

Member # 127

Happy Bday to Barry, too.

Another factor in the vector renderings is that they use a fraction of the ink that printing a photo uses.

I don't think this is a post thread about one way is better than the other. It's turned more into a pro and con discussion. There are plenty of factors that make either a good way to do it.

I like the clean look of using a vector vehicle rendering. But, I also like what Neil posted. I would suggest checking out dal's site if you're undecided. I'm pretty sure they've been long time merchants here and so deserve at least a look-see.

--------------------

Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do both.

Bob made the point I was thinking throughout this post; the vehicle isn't always available.

If a customer brings his vehicle to our shop, we'll photograph it and take a few measurements. But I never seem to take enough.

How many vehicles a year do you have to do to pay for the cost of the software? One improperly measured truck and you more than paid for it.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!