Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Brush Box Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brush Box Wanted
Jim Kuhn
Visitor
Member # 5352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Kuhn   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Kuhn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone. I sold my old sign painters kit & have been kicking myself ever since. I'm having one heck of a time finding a wood box for my brushes & things when I leave the shop to do lettering jobs. Found a couple "machinist boxes" on ebay but they all tave too many drawers & no place for paint, thinner, etc. Anybody know where I can find a box? New or used it doesn't matter.
THANK YOU
Jim Kuhn
Seal Beach, CA

--------------------
Jim Kuhn
Jim Kuhn Signs
738 W. 17th St.
Costa Mesa, CA
Jim@californiablimps.com

Posts: 8 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard people say Dick Blick has something like that

I couldn't find the kind with drawers, but didn't look that long. This one has a tray like a tol box:
 -

[ January 10, 2005, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get Busy and build yourself one,
16 x 6 x 14 inch (long ways up) box out of ply ,When its all glued up -cut out a front drop down door
about an inch and half wide. Cut along (3 sides) top edge and down the two sides and then along the face of the box about 2 inches up from the bottom. hinge that along the bottom and fit with clips along the top ( this gives you a drop down tray to pop pallet, paints ect onto ,on site)
Fit the inside out ( say top half)with as many little brush drawers, and things as you want
This leaves the bottom half for paints thinners ect and because of the cut out door leaving a tray in the bottom of the box any spills stay in your box.( .............hope this makes some sense)

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
St. John Morton, who writes and advertises for AutoArt magazine offers custom wood painters' boxes. He's in California. 831-684-2026

Or check out bait boxes,tackle boxes, etc. I've got a plastic box made by Contico, who makes tool boxes for pickups that's 19"l, 12"h, by 81/2"w. It has a tray in the top, and the bottom is deep enough to put a quart can in. It ain't wood, but it ain't bad. I had a friend make me a wood one years ago. It was neat, but very heavy.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/index.htm

[ January 10, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: PKing ]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or try contacting Terry Colley (UK) he has plans for a great kit ...it is small light and very high class.

He's built several...I'm sure he'd send you a pic if you asked him too...you could make your own too... I've seen it and it's a very simple yet unique design.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The box Monte is talking about is also in the copy of Signwork by Stewart,...it is a british sign trade manual for sign writers . The plans are in metric but the design is simple and time proven,should be easy to convert to inches ,....

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how mine started out !
Be careful which edition you pick up though ! One of those books, I had( from a library) (pre 1987 edition I think)-had a big miss-print of those dimentions
You could end up with a much bigger kit box than you intended!

Jim ,if you want any more details or a copy of the page drop me an email.

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Perye Jr
Visitor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Perye Jr   Email Glen Perye Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowes has a small wood tool box with tray and a masonite bottom it sells for under twenty bucks.
the small style wood machinist on Amazon.com (tools) they sell two sizes. the large one like you can find at sam's club and a small one. the first one I bought the other half comindeered for use as a jewerly box. Its a little ubder 20 inches in widest side. The funny thing about the box it was packed in had printed on the ends tool box, art box, tackle box, jewelery box all with a square next to the word to check which one it is.

[ January 11, 2005, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Glen Perye Jr ]

--------------------
PTSideshow, been there, probally done that.
Wizard Works Show Supply
Magic Props FX Signage Banners Ect.

Posts: 120 | From: Mount Clemens,MI,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Colley
Visitor
Member # 1245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Colley   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
((((----PHOTO NOT COMING LIKENESS CLOSE ENOUGH

I have made a few sign kits and have another underway at the moment , the kit Monte was talking about was a small kit about 12"x 6"x 14" made from birch ply with five drawers inside I do not have any pics Bill Riedell has one of these kits I will read up on posting pics here and see if I can show some of the current kit soon to be replaced
Cheers Terry

--------------------
Terry Colley
The VintageSign Co
42 barrack hill Romiley Stockport
Cheshire, England sk6 3az
tel 0161 494 5089
terry@bullandbrush.fsnet.co.uk

Posts: 210 | From: England | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at Blicks today and saw the box Doug is showing. My wifes first impression is no, very cheap looking ( though price is too).

Depends what you want, something that will last a long time and sturdy? The other suggestions would be more in line for that. I did check ebay and there are plenty of good offerings. I would want a compartment that would store 1/2 pints also.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Nugent
Visitor
Member # 3743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Nugent   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Nugent       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried building my own sign kit once, but it turned into a boat trailer with one wheel that didn't touch the ground.

--------------------
Bob Nugent
Hotrodsonline.com
Gainesville, GA 30506
hotrod@hotrodsonline.com

Posts: 46 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a Different Option

Year before last I got my wife a tackle box style make-up case for Christmas ... my squeeze bottles of paint fit perfect in the bottom compartment ... she used the makeup, now what's she gonna do with the box [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!