Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The mental saturation point . . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The mental saturation point . . . .
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Have you ever done something so much that later, when you try to relax, it keeps poppin' into your head, or you dream about it??

I have had this happen after bein' on a ladder or scaffolding all day. Later, just as I relax and go to sleep...BAM!! 'I fall off the ladder' . . or, BAM!! 'I drop a can of paint 20ft to the ground'.

Well, it's been happening these few days tryin' to learn to use this plotter!

Last night I had a dream that Emily and I were standing on a downtown side walk looking up at the power lines...
Every minute or two a transformer would blow completely apart and send wires with flames coming out of the ends of them in every direction.

It was dark and brooding.

I think it means I shoud quit dealing with the plotter and computer before I burn the house down . . .(lol)

Thursday was the worst.
On thursday, I spent over 6 hours TRYING to do what I had actually managed to do only a few days before...but the plotter would not cut!! [Bash] [Bash]

I'm SO frustrated!! But I refuse to call anyone for help.

Click-click-stare-move the vinyl-click-click-push-push-stare-click-push-click-move the vinyl-click-click-stare.

This went on for hours and I'm aware, all this time that I'm losing my mind.

I clicked on all kinds of things and locked up several layouts in such as way that I can't move them in or out, or even get some to appear...just messages that say basically: "wrong path".

I push all kinds of buttons and look at all kinds of things...then I look at the clock.

I have 8 minutes to pick up my child before the school closes!! When I arrive, I get chewed out by the principal...not for being late but because Emily can't do 2 pages of subtraction problems in 4 minutes for a math competition/pizza party prize.

Still in a plotter problem-induced haze, I stare blankly at the droning principal as she gets me thinking of how 8 lines of 4" Pizza copy would fit on 2ft plot panel.....if only the plotter would cut it . . . .

We go straight back home where I come to myself and finally succumb to calling a freind...but there's not much anyone can do....but, 2 minutes after we hang up . . .
. . .I discover a loose plotter connection!!! [Embarrassed]

Happy birthday RT.

Later, I finally kick-back to watch a movie, which I can seldom do because I fall asleep....I'm all cozy and comfortable on the couch . . . the TV sound slowly fades away . . .

WHAM!! It's that plotter-cutting sound and a wad of vinyl jammin' it up!!
I sit straight up on the couch and instantly realize where I am....I look over at Emily and she looks at me funny . . . .

Later, we go to bed. It's been a long day . . .
And then . .just as I'm dozing off...
BAM!! A giant sheet of 1.75" black copy of business hours fills my head . . .all those zeros', fours . . .8's to be weeded.... [Eek!]

I shake it off and get up and walk to the end of the house pretending to check the back door...I get water. . .

Emily is in the la-la land of sleep.
I go back to bed and snuggle down under the covers and get drowsy...drifting off to sleep now....

when . . .SCREAM!!
The puppy brushed against my hair . . .I thought he was release liner...I thought his toenail was an exacto blade . . . [Eek!]

I thought...I cut wrong and wasted, and cut right and weeded, WAY too much vinyl in the last 3 days....

In case you did'nt know before, now you know what mental saturation is . . . . [Roll Eyes]

But . . . how can my mind be so saturated with all this and I STILL don't know nuthin' about it??? [Big Grin] [Confused]

[ January 08, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or you could be OCD...OBCESSIVE, COMPALSIVE DISORDER....hahahahahahahaha

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Ferguson
Resident

Member # 33

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Brad Ferguson   Email Brad Ferguson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]
Hang
in
there.

--------------------
Brad Ferguson
See More Signs
7931 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64111
signbrad@yahoo.com
816-739-7316

Posts: 1230 | From: Kansas City, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL OP . .look man...that's spelled "Obsessive Compulsive" . . . and it's something you 'have' not something you 'be' . . .except in certain linguistically-challenged cultures where you can say: "I be compulsive obsessive disorder."

Anyway, you know how obsessive I am about spelling... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They DO have meds for this as I am going through
my situation!

Used Once a night, before retirement.
It will give a good nights sleep(removing ALL) the "clutter" with NO ill effects to the body.
That they watch VERY carefully (in my case)
The product is called RESTORIL/and their is a
generic.

p.s. Your "note" came today
Thanks

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,

You could have a second career as a writer. Very funny story - i kept laughing every few lines.

Try warm milk and a happy movie or happy book before bed. Usually the last thing i'm doing before falling asleep is what i dream about. I've got to quit playing my grandkid's gameboy before bed - keep trying to jump over bombs in my dreams...

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PAT!! WOW!! That was fast! The mailman is on his toes!!

LOL . .I do not have OCD . . .I have IMPCPF...

Inability to Mentally Process Computer-Plotter Functions

I'm a little LD . .. ya know?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, what program and plotter are you using? Maybe someone here can help you out.

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahaha ,...Barney Phife on the Andy Griffith show used to call it a compellsion,....hollar at me if ya need help Gal,......

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, what program and plotter are you using? Who else do you know with a similar set up? There are many ears-hearts-minds at the other end of the wire and you just need to call. There is little merit or relationship resulting from stubborness.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,

I once had a dream where I went through an entire day of work, when i woke up, I was exhausted [Smile]

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember dreams often anymore. Only time I have re-occuring dreams is when I'm sick with bad flu or something like that. There are 2.

1, I'm really little, like 3 years old and I'm in front of this giant TV kinda thing that has a pattern of boxes in it. They're black & white boxes, little box in center inside a bigger box, inside a bigger box and they're moving...1 time, the big box is closest to me, next time the little box is closest to me & it seems to be trying to suck me into this tv type thing.

2, I'm in this room that is total pitch black except for something like a strobe light that flashes in alternating colors. This one always wakes me up cause I feel like I'm moving.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

My freinds...my problems have little to do with the program or plotter I'm using and more to do with the fact that regardless of the program or plotter . . .I've only been on the computer since 2003 and just got a plotter hooked up Thanksgiving weekend, and am really spending time on it now that the holidays are over.

For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to doing my taxes.

Apparently y'all, it's going to require not only stubborness, but dedication and an enormous amount of time making mistakes to learn what to click and what NOT to click AND when. . . .
~~~To click or not to click . . .that is the question . . . [Big Grin]

I hope neither me nor my mouse is lysdexic...

OH yeh...and to make sure the thing's plugged in is always a step forward.

Today I managed to cut all the vinyl for a van . . .for some reason, at one point, when I loaded another sheet and clicked plot and 'func' . . .that plotter took off at a strange angle for over 30 inches!! [Eek!] [Bash]

I'm sure it has NO idea how much vinyl it's wastin' . . .I can't 'fire' it...or hit it with a hammer altho' that little bash gremlin does make it look like a really good idea . . . [Big Grin]

This thing is like a Son-of-Sam serial killer of vinyl . . .you never know exactly when it's going to strike, but you know it will, and you know it's going to be bad . . .

But look, WITHOUT drugs . . .I WILL eventually figure it out by cullin' out all these wrong procedures . . .If I survive the increasing mental problems, I'll make even more money than I've already made with it . . . [Big Grin]

Now...the real question is . . .how many hours can one spend on a learning curve??

How much can the human mind take before it's saturated to the point of explosion??

How long before I get all comfortable, and cozy and about to drift off to a nice, sound sleep . . . .and WHAM! A slicing sideways cut...and that freakin', terrible grinding sound of poorly loaded vinyl. . .

A mind is a terrible thing...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're really worried about the state of your mental well-being, here's a situation to consider if there's a possibility of Paranoia. Does anyone here know exactly who NUMBER 3 is? The reason I ask is when I recently opened a brand new package of underwear, this little piece of paper tumbled out of the package, with the message: Inspected by No. 3. Next day, I opened a box of chocolates that my daughter had given me, and again, a slip of paper with that same message: Inspected by No. 3. Who in hell is this person, and why are they inspecting the stuff that I consume ??? This psycho has inspected everything from paints, sheets of substrate, underwear, chocolates, and over-the-counter medications. Think back into some of your recent purchases, folks. You too are being watched over, and the only clue to the mystery watcher's identity, is a tiny slip of paper that says: Inspected by No. 3 [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila - happens to me after I've been involved ina big project...I either have to knock off for the evening before 9pm....so I have time to get my mind into something else, or watch something like the Andy Griffith show before hitting-the-hay to help get my mind off what I've been doing.

Kissy - in your dream, as you're sitting in front of this big tv watching the funny pattern....you don't suddenly turn your head and say, "Theeeeir baaaack" do you? hehehe...I thought that was going to be your next sentance because your description made me think of the "Poltergeist" flick...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other night I dreamed I was awake, but when I woke up, I was still asleep.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Latham
Visitor
Member # 4477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Latham   Email Michael Latham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, your problems could very well have something to do with your plotter and program. On my Sign Wizard, if I plot and nothing happens on the plotter ) a gremlin I think) and replot without clearing the plotter goes wild. I can have the whole 4'x8' plot in 1/2 square inch with 2 lines 3' long. I find I have to clear my plotter if something malfunctions mysteriously. Punching and reppunching commands all of a sudden crashes your plotter and it goes wild.
As for Kissy, I have the same dreams, could it be the drops of acid in the early 70's and 80's? I attribute mine to that and it relaxes my anxieties enough for me to function without crashing and drawing lines 3' long and collapsing signs to 1/2". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Michael A Latham
Tee's Me Shirt & Sign
16462 Jefferson Davis Highway
Colonial Heights Va. 804-835-3299
signdogopie@aol.com

Posts: 379 | From: Colonial Heights, Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Micheal. . . LOL!! You described one of my problems EXACTLY.

I learned that a proper click is one that deletes all previous plotter changes creating a clean slate to begin a new plot.

I shudda called ya when the 'call a freind' option was still in the cards.

Now I've learned what you just said, but through a series of nightmarish events . . .

an' don't forget, I also learnt the plug-connection needs to be attached to the plotter...duh. [Roll Eyes]

I need to get 2 little screws to help hold it in there . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila Darlin'.....
You would be wise to LISTEN to Rick.
So many here would be willing to talk you through your plotter woes and they are all just a phone call away.

Quit being so stubborn!

I am a control freak at times, and I have learned that it is nearly impossible to control a computer/plotter/program. You can learn it the hard way through trial and error and lots of wasted material though.

Or you can post about it here and get instantaneous HELP.

I know that it is horrible to go from painting, which just comes naturally to some of us, and feels so good to do....to plotting, which is a misearble way to earn a greenback. But I did it.

I struggle through scanning/cleaning/node editing/plotting/weeding/masking thinking the whole time that I could have had the damn thing painted, paid for, and out the door in half the time. (and for about ¼ the materials)

But my dear friend, ya gotta give the people what they want. You will feel better after you have conquered running that darn plotter. You may even resort to vynulling out the dreaded Coro yard sign!

Please tell us which program & plotter that you are using so that someone can help you. It doesn't have to be this difficult. Just think of the deep sleep you will be able to get.

Keep your chin up. Let go and let Letterville!

Love....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheila you need your lithium & stelizine. plese take your medication as prescribed.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

LOL Jill!!

I did say out loud several times to Em'...to the walls...to the plotter...

"G'YAAAAAAAAAAA...I cudda DONE had this painted, dried & d'livered and had a check clear the bank!!"

[Big Grin]

Yes. Yes. I admit and say it now.....

I'm stubbern.

OK?...THERE. [Roll Eyes]

lol

The green?? I must say, I ALREADY feel SO much better about not giving any more of it to Gregory... [Wink]

Mabey I'll crash now, and still mentally obsessed with all these things I'll have a head-rushing flash of money going INTO my pocketbook . . . [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

PS: It's a Sign Wizard program which is why Latham's info was so . . .identical?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Jim Upchurch
Visitor
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Upchurch   Email Jim Upchurch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it helps to get some counceling, here's what I got when I called our local service"

Answering Machine at Mental Health Hospital...

"Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline."

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want.
Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred
to the mother ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice
will tell you which number to press.

If you are a manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number
you press, no one will answer.

If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the pound key
until a representative comes on the line.

If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, telephone
number, date of birth, social security number, and your mother's
maiden name.

If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, s-l-o-w-l-y &
c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y press 0.

If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the
beep or before the beep or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have
short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss,
press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All operators are
too busy to talk to you.

If you are menopausal, hang up, turn on the fan, lay down &
cry. You won't be crazy forever.

If you are blonde don't press any buttons, you'll just screw it up.

--------------------
Jim Upchurch
Artworks
Olympia WA

Posts: 797 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Largent
Visitor
Member # 4606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Largent   Email John Largent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, you're in the wrong biz . . Stephen King has made millions writing the stuff your dreams are made of . . Your computer problems sounds like a chapter out of "Song of Susannah"! Heh, heh . . .

--------------------
everybody dances different!

large-hotrodart

1022Palmer
Pueblo, CO 81004
719/543-7440
large44@comcast.net

Posts: 161 | From: Pueblo, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

JIM!!!! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

Jack Keith
Visitor
Member # 4499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Keith   Email Jack Keith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila;

Phil. 4:6&7...but you know that already, don't ya?

Keep at it girl...you'll get it. No southern girl gonna let a 'lectric thing git th' best of 'em.

Your posts reminded me of when I bought my first computer and plotter. I hadda buncha all-nighters trying to get computer & plotter literate. Almost lost it a few times and hadda repent a couple times there but I finally got to the point I could cut some vynal without havin' to tape my mouth shut...heh heh.

Jack
"Did I spel that write?"

--------------------
Jack Keith
Keith Signs and Graphics
12400 Stemmons Drive
Cabool, MO 65689

Posts: 131 | From: Cabool, MO | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila,

Maybe you need a huge break or diversion, Sheila?

Let's see, I used to go around and around a 4 by 8 in my dreams, never could get all the corners completely coated, sometimes falling off the ladder scaffold and then letting myself go and bouncing, or catching myself in the middle of my sleep, chasing customers around, trying to dig the corners of vinyl...etc!

It's after a long stressful month and long hours, I think. But depending on what I ate that day too, or when I had been under the gun for deadlines; all these factors influenced my dreams.

Then, there were the creative dreams, and that was after the creative jobs, or the ones that I had huge satisfaction over! Always after a meet, or being around other artists, my dreams are awesome. Maybe it's time for a meet? Worrying about kids and finances? Your a highly accomplished lady you know!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!