Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Having to get a "proper" job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having to get a "proper" job
Barbara Murrell
Visitor
Member # 3879

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Barbara Murrell   Author's Homepage   Email Barbara Murrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I haven't been here for a while but needed a boost so I've popped in for a while.
I really fed up as I have had to apply for some normal jobs this week. I just can't keep waiting for those sign writing jobs to come in. My bank balance can't stand it any longer.

At first I thought it would be nice to do sensible hours and get paid every week or month. But when I really think about it I will really miss being at home and getting my brushes out.

Does anyone know how I can get some kind soul to take me under their wing and teach me properly?
I don't need a lot of pay, just enough to pay the bills and eat.

Well ho hum, probably new year blues too.

Thanks for being there guys, I don't feel quite so alone.
Love Barb

--------------------
Barbara Murrell
4 Elements (Global)Ltd
Ware Herts
England
barbara@4elementsglobal.com

Posts: 87 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barbara, it'll get better!

When I first started in biz, I managed to do pretty well. Still, I decided to work one night a week at a local pub/eatery, specializing in cuban/caribean food as a waitress/bar keep. I took the job because, thru a friend, I heard they were looking for help just for Saturday nights at this place.I figured I'd make a few extra bucks and I'd get to add alittle social activity to my life, ... without spending money. hahahaa

Lo and behold, it wound up being a pretty saavy business move too. While there, I would tell folks what my "REAL" job was, and often brought in my portfolio, or talk about my latest job. I also painted a mural on the restaurant beer fridge, which got some attention, and served to start the conversation towards my business.

Maybe a part time job as such could get you some exposure and boost some sales for you?

Just a thought.
In the meantime, Cheer up ... it's never as
bad as it seems and there may be solutions to consider, which could serve both your creative and financial needs.

Best of luck to you , and Happy New Year!
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg McRoberts
Resident

Member # 3501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg McRoberts   Email Greg McRoberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nettie, that's what's cool about you. You always seem to turn a downstoke into an upstroke.

Barbara, I wish I had something to add, but Nettie's right on the money. Just try not to get too far off course and by all means, hang around here to help keep you motivated.

--------------------
Greg McRoberts
MacSign
Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 388 | From: Dayton, Ohio USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Nets right, things will change.

...In the meantime, why not go around looking for signs that need repainting? There are bound to be a few out there, and some may "blossom" into other sign work.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barbara, the kind soul you need is someone to help you in business skills. You have demonstrated you will take care of the craft side on your own, but money problems get solved by understanding how to market, promote and run your enterprise like a good business should.

I wouldn't settle for just getting by or paying bills, at least not long term. Find your niche, your market and make sure it is enough to sustain you for a career.

Maybe handpainting isn't enough and you will need to do some vinyl signs and use subcontractors to augment your sales.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do a "trump loi" on your front door/office wall/at a business that you are freinds with. try to pick your clients.....with this kinda work. go to HOME DEPOT when they are having there painting instruction classes,if you can take a couple pieces there to show your work...gar-on-tee you will get some work. HOME DECORATING IS BIG MONEY....and with paint....people want home decorating on an individual basis...do some vines & flowers around your door way in your house...use this as selling tools...AND CHARGE LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!!!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barbara....
You live on a boat, right?
Could you see if others around you need their boat names repainted?
It might not be the best time of year.
And I'm sure that you live in an area full of vynull signs. It's hard to be a painter in a plastic world.
I think Nettie has some great advice.
So did David.
And OP has a good idea even if he can't spell it right!
Be careful about advetising yourself when you do get a proper job tho, I almost got fired from McDonald's once when someone asked me about painting their truck!
I am VERY seriously thinking of getting a lunchtime hostess job at a new restaurant across the street. They as yet have no sign. I did a cold call there just before Christmas, but they never called back.
I dread the thoughts of going out into the real workd, but I guess we are both going to need to before we starve!
Chin Up.
Love.....Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Barb, sounds like you just need to get out and socialize with people that might need your services, ie: promote!

Here in the US, restaurants and bars (pubs) that have all sorts of memorabelia and artwork on display are pretty popular. You could make up some small signs for your own business and see if the owners will hang them up on the wall. Murals like Nettie's are great. We have a new Chili's restaurant in town (popular franchise in the US) and they put some of my photography on display along with all the other photos they have. They also have some really neat chalkboard artwork on display that depicts the local pasttime - boating.

Trade out some inexpensive work in return for publicity!

Get out and pound the pavement, they cannot come to you if they don't know you're there. [Smile]

I know how hard it is to get out there, I'm no social creature by any means. I just do what I gotta do to earn the living I want.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the world of signs!
Start with "small business" courses.
Chip Carter from right here in Letterville.Has one you can "down load" that is full of information geared towards the SIGN BUSINESS!!

Do a "search" here and you are likely to come about to it.

The actual "writing" part is not that hard to do!

Most of (us) are small business owners.
Try to find the LARGER(more employees)sign company in your area,and yes get a REAL job to pay the bills!

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbara Murrell
Visitor
Member # 3879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara Murrell   Author's Homepage   Email Barbara Murrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your kind words, it's really cheered me up.
David, I think you are right, it's the business skills I need to brush up on.
With my decorating business the work just came to me and I guess I was spoiled.
I'll have to be brave and pound that pavement.

Thanks guys
Barb xx

--------------------
Barbara Murrell
4 Elements (Global)Ltd
Ware Herts
England
barbara@4elementsglobal.com

Posts: 87 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Streicher
Visitor
Member # 4515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Streicher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while you are pounding the pavement looking for a real job "YUCK" pound on just as many or even more doors with your portfolio and some biz cards and drum up some sign work, profits are better than wages any day

--------------------
Dan Streicher
Slidell, LA

Posts: 445 | From: Slidell, LA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your vehicle lettered? It realy works for me. Ya need to yell it out to the world. But don't feel to bad if you need to get a job in the meantime. How about getting a job in an area that needs a lot of signs? We're all pulling for you.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3832 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OP,
Barb didn't tell you but she has been doing interior decorating for years and came to Detroit this summer to learn to letter. She did a marvelous job under the tutelage of Bill Ridell.

Barb,
Where have you been painting at? Can't be much room on a boat that is less than 6' wide. I know that you were starting to hate decorating but are you still doing it at all?

[ January 05, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I read this post I had to wonder what makes my job "improper"?

It has fed, clothed and housed me for 35 years...sure it has been slow from time to time but if you truly love this trade you gut it out and find a way to make it work...even the majority of people that go looking for a "proper" job make a wild swing back into the unique craziness of the "best job in the world".

You can't and shouldn't be sitting waiting for the work to come to you...go out and get the work and shove the "blues" in the trash where it belongs.

"Whoa is me" never fed anyone.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This time of year it is especially easy to get the blues. But Monte is right, they won't do you much good if you entertain them for long. Hopefully we can (and have) served to encourage you. I would also venture to say that most of us find the marketing side of business difficult. I'm stuggleing with that issue too. But take another famous Brit's advice..."Never, never, never, never, never, never, NEVER GIVE UP!"

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thereyago...now you got it!
[Smile]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love selling. I wish that I had more time to do it.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Osborne
Visitor
Member # 4569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Osborne   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Barbara,
Sorry to hear things are not so hot,, Signwriting's always gonna be a tough way ,But it beats working for a living.
Hang on in there,keep pushing the good stuff and you'll get yourself noticed.
I've struggled along for 11 years against a tide of vinyl shops -all competing for the same jobs-and still pushing my traditional stuff ( so far its worked out)
If I can be of any help or advice to you ,please give us shout

--------------------
Wayne Osborne signs
Midhurst W.Sussex U.K
www.osbornesigns.co.uk

"When happiness shows up always give it a comfortable seat"

Posts: 353 | From: Midhurst ,West sussex, Britain | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!