Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Practice Shhmaktice- Glass gilding question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Practice Shhmaktice- Glass gilding question
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who makes custom stringed instruments who wants some gold leaf window lettering. I have never done such a thing...yet.

Chances are I will practice on an in shop piece of my own or glass door or something.

My question is: Can I apply the gelatin size and leaf and backup paint on the interior of a COLD window? He has REAL OLD glass in his big window, so it is not insulated. Temperatures here in Mid-Upstate New York are in the Mid 30s and going colder. Is that too cold? How cold outside does it have to be to make it too cold on the glass to apply it inside?

[ December 08, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Philip Steffen ]

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can he wait until Spring?

Gilding a window at those temperatures is going to be a real problem! Chances are that the gelatin/water solution will freeze, or at best, never really give up all the water, and bubble the first warm day. Warming the glass is a disaster waiting to happen! What does replacing a shattered window cost?

Other more experienced guys may have a solution...lets hear from them!

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was done here last year during the "Winter Muster"....Don't listen to the California wimps....it can work..I've done it.

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike- did you have size freezing or anything like that? The indoor temp I imagine will be around 60 degrees, I just don't know much about this type of thing...yet.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Lang
Visitor
Member # 336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Lang   Email Jeff Lang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil,
First thing you should do is get the book,
Gold Leaf Techniques by Kent Smith.
That will cover many different situations you will face while learning to glass gild.
As to the cold, like Mike said, it will work, but it probably will work a little different than your sample piece done in the conditions of your shop.
One thing you can do in order to combat the extreme cold or extreme hot, is cover the entire area of the outside of the window with foam insulation. This will help the glass stay closer to room temperature.
Practice will be the best preperation.
Good luck,
Jeff

--------------------
Jeffrey P. Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

oldelangsigns@msn.com

Posts: 157 | From: Pittsburgh, PA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have the book already- been studying it in the evenings. Great stuff. I get excited with new stuff like this.

Anyone else with advice for cold window gilding?

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St

Scott Telfer
Visitor
Member # 3949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Telfer   Email Scott Telfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Philip

I was working on the glass piece in Mazeppa
and although it was only my 2nd Glass Gild
I had no problem with the size actually freezing,
or the application for that matter.
The only problems on my part were lack of experience and c££p technique.
It wont be easy but it is do-able.

--------------------
Scott Telfer
C.S.T SIGNS
0141-633 0391
scott@telfer27.freeserve.co.uk

Posts: 189 | From: SCOTLAND | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Jeff said...that helps....If it's 60 INSIDE, ya got no problems.
Nothing frooze except yur feet going outside to see how it's lookin'.....Schnapps works good for coating the inside of the Sign Person's Stomach which eventually makes any stress go away.....unfortunately makes any profit go away the more you drink it on the job..(hick)....
Scott Telfer did one window and Barb Schilling did the other...both are excellent and look fantastic! I would drive to the Adirondacs, chill out in a Adirondacs "CHAIR" in a coffee shop, read the Gold Leaf book....Go back thru all your "A Magazine About Letterheads" and press yur nose to the pages with all the Gold Leaf eye candy, then do as the 1980 Olympic Hockey team did and GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!!

Game On!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move to Florida!!!!!!

hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rovelle W. Gratz
Visitor
Member # 4404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rovelle W. Gratz   Author's Homepage   Email Rovelle W. Gratz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gilded the sign on a glass panel and hung it inside the window. I did this for a business that was relocating in a few months, but it is a thought and would be easier to start out on in your controlled environment of the shop.

--------------------
Rove Gratz
Gratz Signs
342 Walden Station Drive
Macon, GA 31216
rovegratz@aol.com
Home Page: http://rove-342.tripod.com

Posts: 861 | From: Macon, GA 31216 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Yeah, Florida....Do they have Hurricanes there?

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the interior of the store warm, there would be no freezing. If you're in a dry climate, the size will dry quicker than it does here on the coast. The cold might slow things a bit, but shouldn't hurt.

Rick Glawson used to tell us how he read that little book about how to do a gold job that Swift used to put out, and did his first sellable jobs with the book in his hand.

I prefer getting together with someone that knows and can teach me, and I then have someone to hold hands with during the process.

Who can you get together with for a private letterhead meet this weekend?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6718 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its been many, many years but I've gilded glass in the cold of winter in New York and yes it can be done. Not as much fun but the money pays the same. You should be glad that you have a customer who is willing to pay for the real deal.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Bob- pay shmay, I will probably be trading for a mandolin or violin for my sons. He makes awesome instruments. This one won't be one of his hand made instruments though, they fetch $4000 to $6000. I'm not doing THAT much gold leaf.

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!