Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How would you handle this Re-Furb?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How would you handle this Re-Furb?
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you tackle this project?
The whale:
 -
This piece, measures approx 9"x28". Hand gouged, looks to have several coasts of varnish, (front & Back) carved letters, what used to be gold leaf and a black pinline.

While I was out, a customer brought this in to be sandblasted, saw my 'sign' (I share space with the blaster) and decided to leave it, for me to have a looksee. Obviously, someone in their family is an 'artist' and they had planned a DIY. (Do It Yourself)

It would be one thing, if I was making this from scratch, but to refurbish? It's not the greatest workmanship to begin with and to me, looks like a nightmare and a time consuming project.

What would you do? How would you go about removing the varnish? Would it be okay to apply gold leaf over the re-varnish?

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take some paint stripper to it and strip everything off and see how it looks from there. When stripping, you want to get put the stripper on, let it sit, and then scrub off with a nail brush and toothbrush. If the wood is in good shape, just polyurethane. If the wood is discoloring, rotting, etc., you may have to get one of those rotary sanding wheels that goes on a drill and re-sand it. Just make sure you get one with a pretty fine grit. You'll probably lose some or all of the gouge marks.

ps. Except for where it looks like some of the varnish came off, I love it because its got that beautiful patina that you can only get with age.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Laura,

The only area where the varnish is completely gone (in places) is along the top of the piece. (sun damage) What you're saying about the 'patina' may actually compliment the 'look' of an actual whale, under water.

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheryl,
You may be able to lightly sand the top part to smooth it out and then polyeurthane again. My concern is that that new poly won't have the patina and will stick out like a sore thumb.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not use poly...wont hold up outdoors. take it to a local marine yard and have them bury it in awlgrip.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Bob, I didn't know that. I always used it on furniture that I was making or re-doing...and of course everything was for indoors.

I do have a question. I am doing a sandblasted cedar and part of it is going to be the natural wood and I don't know what to use to seal it. Any suggestions?

[ September 29, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an MDO sign with enamel paint and vinyl lettering years ago. The customer thought he would extend the life of the sign by brushing on a coat of polyurethane. Six months later the poly turned yellow and fell off in sheets and flakes leaving the original sign looking brand new and in the condition he received it.

If you're painting a cedar sign Laura, use any good primer and paint with either enamel or latex. Make sure you have at least two finish coats of either medium and expect to refinish in five years time.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!