Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Detroit International Gold N' Oldies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detroit International Gold N' Oldies
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I am finishing the details for the food and I began to think of Dessert. I am looking for suggestions as to what kind you would like to have. We are looking forward to seeing and sharing with our Brothers and Sisters of the Brush. For those who have not registered yet, now would be a good time to send those in or please e-mail with your conformation. A $50 deposit will be accepted for those who wish to pay at the door. I want to make sure there is plenty of food for everyone. Thanks for the support and we will see you in Detroit. Have a Great Day.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 230 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice article about your meet in Signs of the Times, Kevin.
Remember to get some ice cream sandwiches in case the Heads wanna do their annual not-so-secret ice cream eating contest! (urp)
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a real good chat with AL Grand today. It sure was nice to hear stories from the old days. He started in the Sign Business in the 1930's On Saturday the 20th he is coming down to spend some time with us and share his knowledge of Gold-Leaf. Although I did not recognize the names he spoke of, they sound like near friends of the Craft. I am looking forward to the sharing of knowledge with all.

Jill, I am curious about this contest and wonder if we should include all flavors of ice cream. I was thinking about having the Belt Sander contest as well. Is there any interest?

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 230 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just get regular old El Cheapo Ice Cream Sandwiches. About 6 boxes will do ya.
I had Klondikes at Mars and the chocolate coating was too crispy and they were too heavy of an ice cream for mass consumption.
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got my Signs of the Times too. Jill I think I am closer to them so how did you get your first.

You are right about the article about Kevin and the Detroit meet. It was a really nicely written article. Way to go Kev.

ps cheesecake

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up on the Article. We are getting ready for the last leg of the race and looking forward to seeing everyone. See you in Detroit.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been to enough meets now to know that each meet takes on a life of its own. There seems to be 2 types of meets... those of friends getting together to paint and shoot the breeze and then the meets where there are those that love to teach others. Both are letterhead meets...just different.

The meets that I have been to recently seem to be old friends getting together, sitting should to shoulder, painting gorgeous panel after panel (or wall after wall), eating together, drinking together (if you drink) and sitting up to all hours of the night playing and singing all the words that we can remember from the songs from the 50's or 60's or else listening to good bands.

The meet in Detroit seems to be turning into the latter. I know that not many from letterehead.com have signed up and those that have, don't post alot. Those and the others that have signed up are alot of the old timers that loved to teach and pass on their knowledge. The others signing up seem to be newbies or those that want to learn something different.

I have been a little down that not many from letterehead. com have seemed to be interested in posting or signing up for the meet but that didn't last for long. I have been hearing of those that are coming and am getting REAL excited because its more of the type of meet that I like to go to...one where there will be sooo much to learn and take in. I really want to learn as much as I can about goldleafing, gilding and embellishments...maybe some airbrushing too. I can't wait. I hope that I don't have to work too much.

This is not a put down to those that don't want to come to Detroit. I understand that its just not your type of letterhead meet. To those that are coming. It is going to be go cool.

ps. I have been told that the two columns in the ballroom that we will be goldleafing will be worth about $10,000. each if we were charging the Temple for the work. I have seen the proposed design. Its a diamond pattern that is really awesome.

[ July 30, 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Laura Butler ]

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the popular "pickles on a stick"

hope this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that anything like bobbing for pickles?

Pat,
Are you two going to be able to come up? I tried calling you back. Call me back on my cell.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Hey Laura, can you drop a few names of exactly will be there? Who are the "old timers"?

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

I do not refer to them so much as Old Timers, but
for their experience in doing some of the early work that has helped to inspire the Spirit of Letterheads. On Saturday Al Grand will be traveling down to visit. He started in the Sign Business in 1930's. He is well known for his Gold work. Ken Millar, who taught at the Chicago Sign School will be teaming up with Bob Behounek on Saturday for a seminar on Sign Layout and Design. Bob was an apprentice of Ken's. Bill Riedel is also coming as well as Gary Anderson, Jay Allen, Keith Knect, Dan Donnati, and others.

Noel Webber will be teaming up with "Wild Bill" Betz for a seminar on the Subject of Gold-Leaf Glass Gilding and the finer points. Kent and Judi Smith will be doing seminor's on Paint and Business. Kent on Paint and Judi on the Business . Bill Masters will be heading a Wall Mural from the 1930's. Dennis Gibb will be headlining the Pin-Head Meet. John Jordan from Australia will be coming up to show-case a Gold-Leaf Glass project from Down under.

The Meet is designed to revert back to some of the tip's and trick's of the trade. I believe in preserving Knowledge from some of those who have seen the changes and are still willing to help in sharing in these idea's.

I hope there are some names that will help in your decision. Look forward to seeing everyone in Detroit.

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
kbsigncompany@att.net

Sharon Halbert
Visitor
Member # 4706

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Sharon Halbert   Email Sharon Halbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kevin

What a great article about you and our up and coming Motown Gold N Oldies International meet. Thank you Signs of The Times.

Sharon Halbert

--------------------
Sharon Halbert
Argyle Signs Company, Inc.
19500 W. Davison
Detroit, Michigan 48223
(313) 835-6630
Argylesigns@Yahoo.com

Posts: 11 | From: 19500 W. Davison Detroit, Michigan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!