Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Advice Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice Wanted
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you go about recruiting NEW sign artist
that have a "burning desire" to learn painting by
qualified WINDOW SPLASH veterans?
The Earn as you Learn easy method.
The ones I call Phil Inn (between the lines)
panel coating apprentices.
For..Low Wages,Long Hours, Agressive Self Starter
with Dependable Transportaion.
For learning the MOST rewarding type of work EVER!

High School Art Classes?
Art School Participants?

As I feel OJT is the best way to learn.
Why not get "PAYED TO PRACTICE"

your thoughts would be helpful

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianTheBrush
Visitor
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianTheBrush         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,
Until recently, we used to take in kids through our local B.O.C.E.S. classes, a "ttrade" division of the county schoold system.

In NY, they have what they call their "shadow program". I've hired kids for both the sign shop and the paint shop this way.

But I learned early on that your primary intent had better be teaching, and not producing. You spend a lot of time hand-holding and explaining...but it's really fullfilling when one of those kids carries through and ends up working in the trade.

I still go in a couple times per year, and spend a half day talking about and demonstrating airbrush and custom paint techniques, and striping. So many of these kids are eager to learn.

Posts: 465 | From: / | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Nichols
Visitor
Member # 2842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Nichols         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,
I've had good results with this method over the years. You get em young enough with no bad habits, and generally eager to work in a 'cool' environment, although reality generally dulls some of that shine in a hurry. Contact admins or guidance counselors at high schools in your area and ask them to put you in touch with the art teachers or pass the word to them about what you are looking for. As with all hiring, I believe the key is a good interview, even for Phil and his cousins. Heck, ya never know, you might find that diamond in the rough, and inspire the next Daddy Finegold! I hired a nervous student from the Art Institute of Atlanta once, as an assistant to an assistant, and she later went on to become a senior art director at Young & Rubicam. I liked to think I could see my typographical influences in her work, but that was probly just my overactive imagination...

Good luck with yer search.

--------------------
Jay Nichols
ALPHABET SOUP

~the large print giveth and
the small print taketh away~

Posts: 176 | From: SW Florida | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,

Contact the nearest vocational school. Many have work placement programs for recent graduates....including the commercial art students.

Got werk for me....a LOOOONNNNG time ago.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard Sappington
Visitor
Member # 4562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard Sappington   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard Sappington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call the Art teacher at the local High School ?

--------------------
Leonard Sappington
lenopam@verizon.net

Posts: 123 | From: Clinton, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad always just had another kid.
But I didn't want to have 5 kids.
I use distributive education program.
but they don't stay with you,
I have 3 former students that have
carried through, gone to art school and are in some art related profession now. One of them makes video games. And a lot more money than me LOL.
I also have hired kinfolk. at one time there were five of us Husband, Wife, Son, Nephew, and Niece
hired in that order. The niece got married and retired though so now we are just 4.
Bill

--------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud 10 year Supporter of the Letterheads Website
www.artssigns.com
"MrBill-" on the chat page
MailTo:biggsbb@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early this spring I had a young man show up to my place asking for a chance to do a summer internship as he is majoring in graphic arts. He'll be a junior in college this fall. I really didn't know what to think when first approached but welcomed him with open arms.

He's now been working with me 3 days a week for about 4 weeks now. It's working out great and he's been very helpful. He's fascinated with all aspects of this business and is most happy coming to work for free to learn all I can teach him. WIN-WIN situation.

So, my advise. Contact some local art colleges and see what they've got for kids who need this type of internship.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOOD advise everyone.Of course not looking for
anything long term.More like "Snappers-R-Us" gig.
where the said journeyman/women would outline,fix
ALL work.
Kind of a "POOL" of these youngsters for referals
to be used when needed State Wide.
NOT spoon feed teaching,as much as..put this color in that area type of exposure to the scheme
of things.
If questions are ask,so be it.I can TALK and PAINT
at the same time.
This is how I would want to be taught.
NO perfection,LEARNING the way the brush works,It
is ONLY paint and can be fixed,TRUSTING the worker
with the work.While completing a finished product
that can be viewed,bragged on,and shown to friends
as an accomplishment.

Any other Hints???

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbara Murrell
Visitor
Member # 3879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara Murrell   Author's Homepage   Email Barbara Murrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat, I wish I lived in Florida!!
I'd be at your door like a shot. I would love for someone to take me under their wing and give me on the job training.
I'm not too worried about the money either.
Maybe if I ever get back to the States after the Detroit meet I'll come to Florida and knock on your door.
Good luck finding someone.
Barbx

--------------------
Barbara Murrell
4 Elements (Global)Ltd
Ware Herts
England
barbara@4elementsglobal.com

Posts: 87 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 16 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on down Barbara;
We have a "special" Letterhead Guest Room that persons like Cheryl Lucas and Others can testify
to as comfort/hospitality abounds

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Cheryl Lucas
Visitor
Member # 1656

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lucas   Email Cheryl Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,

I'll be there, in a hop, skip & a jump! [Wink]

Just say the word...

Cher.

--------------------
Co-Host:
SANDCASTLE Panel Jam
'a Dixie Letterhead Reunion'
Fort Myers, Florida

Cheryl Lucas a/k/a "Shag" on mIRC
Vital Signs & Graphics, Etc.
Cape Coral, Florida
239-574-4713
VSignsNgraphics@aol.com

Posts: 987 | From: Cape Coral, FL USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PKing,

You would be the perfect person to teach a Letterhead newbie seminar and if you could do it on a semi-regular basis and put out some flyers for the occassion, it might draw some locals in too. I know you're prolly perty busy and wouldn't want to have to schedule work around these things but it might help you get a team up to work with in the future.

I wish you much success with this endeavor!

LSE

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl Cheryl,always knew I could count on YOU!

Good idea Linda,as usal work gets done when I decide it will be done.

Think 4 times a year would resonable?
Winter,Spring,Summer,Fall
geared around "other" MEET dates. [Dunno]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Richard Girard
Visitor
Member # 371

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Richard Girard   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Girard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pat It's me the lurker. Pat you might want to get ahold of the High School (NE High School) on Andrews and NE I think it 16th Street. They have a night class and some day classes teaching sign painting as well as the sticky stuff. By The By Donna says howdy and stop by sometime.

--------------------
Richard Girard
Girard Signs & Graphics
Oakland Park, Florida
richard@girard.com
954-772-0059

Posts: 148 | From: Oakland Park, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny Baugh
Visitor
Member # 3275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny Baugh   Author's Homepage   Email Penny Baugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might contact the local arts council. Meet with the director and discuss what you're looking for. They work with the local school systems and often have an artist's registry that includes high school and college students who would love an opportunity like this.

--------------------
Penny Baugh
Lee Edmund Spyro Design Group

Spyro Graphics
3458 Main Street, East
Fort Payne, AL 35968

(256)638-ARTS
penny@spyrographics.com

Posts: 159 | From: Northeast Corner of Alabama | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat

It is no secret that I had a huge struggle when my artist left for other ventures late last year. I learned so much between January 1 and April 1 this year. I hired and let go four artists in that period of time.

Because my prior designer was so good, and stayed for so long. I was not very experienced at the whole hiring thing. When I started to interview, I was amazed at the "Graphic Artists" with bachelor's degrees who had absolutely no talent or common sense. I interviewed over 40 artists! It is very important that you "click" with them. A friend of mine once said "there's only one thing worse than not having a designer.....that's having the wrong one"

Today, I have a talented woman designer, who is a real contribution to the team we are building. I have found that hiring someone slightly older can be an advantage.

The four college grads I tried out wanted to know what is in it for me, My designer is asking "what do you need me to do" I hope this helps.

Regards,

[ July 04, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3489 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!