Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Installing "Harley Decals" on gastank

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Installing "Harley Decals" on gastank
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There,
I have a friend who bought some pre-made decals from Harley Davidson. He has alredy messed up a set, and sent for another. This time he wants me to give it a go since I'm "supposedly" the vinyl
expert. I've explained that this particular job is one I've not tried before, and he understands that I claim no expertise. He's OK with that.

Are there any tricks to installing on the rounded surface? Wet or dry application?

Thanks for the Help!

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of Rapid tac ...

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trace the shape, lay the trace on your own vinyl, cut through the trace to produce practice "blanks" to play with. See if the flexability & strechability of your material & the curve of their tank make this possible or not. Just because you're the "expert" doesn't make this task possible, so hopefully the decals arn't too big, or the tank too irregular in the area decal is required. If so, some slits may be required & could be hidden in predetermined spots to achieve the "impossible".

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Sharkins
Visitor
Member # 4525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Sharkins   Email Pete Sharkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a few Sprint car tail tanks each year, and try to cover as much area as possible with vinyl. They have lotsa compound curves, like a bike tank. I do them very wet, and using a hair dryer (NOT heat gun) lets me slowly run wrinkles and creases off an edge. An OE Harley tank decal shouldn't be nearly as hard as one of these (due to their comparitively smaller size), so that method should work fine, IMO.

Working the vinyl slowly from center outward is key...

--------------------
Pete Sharkins
MotoArts Decals and Signs
New Kensington, PA
motoarts@yahoo.com
* All vinyl, all the time *

Posts: 138 | From: New Kensington, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know these decals get clearcoated!

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Pete...mostly. Except I'm not sure why you would want to use the wet method/hair dryer combo.

On compound curves on an object as small as a gas tank, I'd personally do it dry and with a hair dryer...doing as Pete suggested - squeegeeing from the center outward progressing in small increments in an ever increasing circular direction. Good luck.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they actually vinyl?

The last Harleys I did were a waterslide transfer, which I stuck down with gold size, then after it was all dry, clear coated with lacquer a few coats, sanded the edge/ridge down, and further clear coated. OK they were vintage 1940 & 42 WLAs.
The compound curve is never fun, but you just keep hand-squeegeeing the ripples out till it's all down & stuck. They do disappear, even though you have doubts in the beginning.

Good luck!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget the Rapid Tac on these, they are really too small for rapid tac. there's no need for it.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Vecoli
Visitor
Member # 2278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Vecoli         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my 2000 Softail standard, the gas tank logo is screenprinted right onto the tank, no decal ridge under the clear. Very slick! My Sportster has a regular decal, you can feel the ridge.

--------------------
JT

Posts: 230 | From: MN | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer Craig
Visitor
Member # 3411

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Jennifer Craig   Email Jennifer Craig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks All for the suggestions. I'll be sure to do some practice, and see what works for this particular job.
I'll get back to you.

Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer Craig
Bright Morning Signs
3908-190th Pl. SW,
Lynnwood, WA 98036
brightmorning1@msn.com

Posts: 72 | From: Lynnwood, WA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually remake them in Avery 900 and use heat gun great stuff

--------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Retired 3 Panorama Drive
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your troubles be little ones.
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything.

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!