Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Electric Pounce with Transformer. Know How?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Electric Pounce with Transformer. Know How?
Joe Sciury
Visitor
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Sciury   Email Joe Sciury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had several years ago seen an electric pounce made out of neon transformer. Does anyone have specifics as to how this is done? Thanks for any help!.......Joe

--------------------
Joe Sciury
Sign Here Graphics
East Sparta, Ohio
www.signheregraphics.net

Posts: 236 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahahaaaa...I built one like that many years ago! Didn't take me long to smash it onto the floor! Most are way too powerful to use for an electric pounce.

If they aren't setting the paper on fire, burning much too big holes, then they are zapping you!

Forewarned.....all you need to do is attach one lead to the metal backer, and the other to your stylus. If you must cut down on the power, then a rheostat must be attached on the input side...thus bringing the cost up to the price of a professionally built one.

[FYI] ...... [Dunno]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy a Pounce Master. In fact, get the Senior with a rheostat switch. I've worked in several shops with those home brews and they are deadly! I bought a used one from a very nice fella right here on the BB -
Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arklie Hooten
Visitor
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arklie Hooten   Email Arklie Hooten       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,
Don't let those crusty old smart guys pee in your corn flakes. Truth is, they once were do-it-yourself type guys. Now that they are rich and famous driving Lexus 450s, they forgot what is was like to save a buck.

I'll tell you how to build your own. I've got one of these and also a real king daddy size, bought "Electo-Pounce". My home made one works just as well.

1. Get a pull chain window neon window transformer (5000 volts or so) from your junk pile. Old beer sign transformers work good. Or buy a new one for $35. Don't use a electronic (new style) it won't work.
2. Mount on side of your easel
3. Run a ground wire from the transformer to the sheet metal surface on your easel.
4. Cut off one secondary GTO lead short, and screw on a red wire nut to protect it from shocking you. This lead will not be used.
5. Extend the other lead to a length that will allow you to reach to the far end of your easel with some additional slack.
6. Get a cheap stick BIC pen and slide the guts out of it and discard the guts.
7. Stop by the welding store, or by your welder friend and steal a couple pieces of tungsten that any heli-arcer would have laying around. Probably a couple of bucks each.
8. Shove tungsten into one end of BIC pen, and the GTO from the transformer in the other end. Make sure gto and tungsten are touching inside.
9. Let the tungsten protrude a little from the business end. Maybe crush the end on the Bic body before inserting tungsten to help capture and hold
10. Use black tape on gto end to prevent gto from pulling out.
11. Turn on transformer and pounce like a mother.
12. Oh yeah, Always use a metal yard stick for a straight edge wilst pouncing.

Arklie Hooten
Pioneer Sign Company
Up in the Mountains of East Tennessee

--------------------
Arklie Hooten
Former SignPainter
Elizabethton, TN

Posts: 28 | From: Elizabethton, Tn | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arklie, are you for real? A metal yardstick?
Thats a shocking idea.

OK now if your serious, what or where can i get the proper transformer. what would i ask for?

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot one = #11 1/2 = train video camera toward easel.
Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Sciury
Visitor
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Sciury   Email Joe Sciury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gentleman for all your advise!

--------------------
Joe Sciury
Sign Here Graphics
East Sparta, Ohio
www.signheregraphics.net

Posts: 236 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summertime sweat rollin' down your hand whilst holding an electro-pounce set on "Hi" with a bladder full of morning coffee -- Sweet Jesus!!! Fond memories!!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! a friend Gary Berg showed me how to hook-up the transformer from the electric cow fence to make one. I'm still afraid to go near that fence! [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using one similar to what Arklie is describing for years. My only suggestion is to
buy a foot operated switch for the on/off. That
way, you can coordinate on/off with the end of
the lines you're pouncing and prevent setting
the pattern on fire when drawing the stylus away
from the paper.

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean-Claude Theriault
Visitor
Member # 966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean-Claude Theriault         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The beer sign or any 5000 V neon transformer idea works fine. A neon transformer is really 2 transformers inside the metal case (ie. 5000 = 2 x 2500V coils) so if shorting one lead to the casing you are only getting 50% of whatever the rated output it.

I've also used oil burner transformers with success.

One additional idea is to add extra insulation to the Bic pen by using a piece of 10,11 or 12mm neon tubing or a length of GTO covering to wrap around it.

--------------------
South End Signs
Jean-Claude Theriault
Halifax, NS

Posts: 172 | From: Halifax NS | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!