Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pricing small vinyl decals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pricing small vinyl decals
Les Wynn
Visitor
Member # 4528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Les Wynn   Author's Homepage   Email Les Wynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I was just wondering if there was a special, top secret formula for pricing out smaller vinyl decals.

I'm trying to make my own window decal collection and was just wondering how to best figure out the pricing for them.

I've done a couple of elk, an antelope, a whitetail, a ram, and would like to do a bunch more, just need to get me some good pics to use as models.

Anyway, if there's a trick to it or an easy way to figure it out and you wouldn't mind letting me in on the secret I would really appreciate it.

I've seen some that seem way expensive and then I've seen some that I don't know how they could possibly do it for such a low price.

Thank you all. Hope ya'll have a great day,

Les

--------------------
Les Wynn
NetKennel.com
Tooele, UT

Posts: 24 | From: Tooele, Ut | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Horn
Visitor
Member # 4037

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dale Horn   Email Dale Horn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The higher prices usually correlate with the businessmen/women that are retailing for profit. They are accounting for overhead (everything you need to do to keep the lights on and service the customer, variable production costs (everything you actally do to make the product,eg. consumable material costs),they have margin benchmarks and profit benchmarks to realize a return on their investment.

The second group that makes you wonder "how they could sell it that low?" are not including the all the above costs required to service the customer. They don't account for overhead they just focus on the variable costs. For example if I have vinyl at price 1X and I cut it and retail it at a price of 5X. (I wish gas companies thought this way) Would the person be making a profit? Doubt it if you have overhead/labor costs/taxes a small business has.

Some inexpensive calcualtion spreadsheets are on signs101.com Check out Estimate.com website for a database calculator. Profit is a good word [Big Grin]
Best of luck.

--------------------
Dale Horn
Zennova Systems Inc.
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
CANADA
306 665 1438

Posts: 51 | From: Saskatoon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Les Wynn
Visitor
Member # 4528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Les Wynn   Author's Homepage   Email Les Wynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much Dale.

--------------------
Les Wynn
NetKennel.com
Tooele, UT

Posts: 24 | From: Tooele, Ut | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you can draw up good looking designs that people will want to buy... then that is your most marketable talent in this equasion.
Anyone can weed vinyl. The next most valuable skill to consider would be finding someone who can sell a line of stickers to a retail chain. That would probably be your most profitable scenario.

Weeding small detailed designs is not going to be very profitable IMO. I have a line of stickers & I started printing the detailed designs on clear vinyl with my Gerber Edge. Then I have a simple cut path that outlines the entire design (offset 1/8" from edge of artwork) This way I can weed an 8' page of 100 stickers in about 5 to 10 seconds. The extra cost of the ink on top of the vinyl cost is about $6.00 for that 8' sheet, so at $60/hour shop rate, I just need to save 10 minutes in weeding time to consider my costs the same. Since many of my designs take well over 6 seconds to weed, I was very happy to switch production methods when I got the edge.

I haven't got out & really tried to sell these stickers, but I have one surf shop that orders about $500 worth every 2 or 3 months. I print one color designs on clear at about 3" x 4" I sell for $1.50 ea. & the surf shop sells them for $3.00

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Les Wynn
Visitor
Member # 4528

Cool Doug,
Thanks a lot.

Les

--------------------
Les Wynn
NetKennel.com
Tooele, UT

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find someone that needs some extra cash and get them to weed the decals so you can spend your time acquiring "dealers".

In that kinda market, the design is not a major selling point - it's just a $3, $4, $5 decal afterall. The market most likely won't bear much more than that, depending on the size.

Create your collection, run off 20 or so of each design and time yourself. Figure out material costs, labor cost, etc.

Once you have *your* cost on each decal, double it (at the very least) and that is your wholesale/dealer cost - note: selling to dealers still nets you 100% profit BUT they need to sell volume to qualify. Double your dealer cost and that's your retail price.

When working with dealers the important thing to remember is to price your products so your dealers can't make more money on them than you do.

Present your collection to possible dealers/retailers and when you have orders roll in hire someone at minimum wage to weed them all.

There's profit to be made on small decals, don't let anyone fool you. You just need to be smart about it and not spend your own time (at $60/hr) doing the gruntwork.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Les Wynn
Visitor
Member # 4528

Thanks a bundle Mike! I appreciate it.

Les

--------------------
Les Wynn
NetKennel.com
Tooele, UT

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike makes some good points, but I've got another good one of my own, if you're smart... everything your $10/hour help does is billed out at $60/hour [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Les Wynn
Visitor
Member # 4528

Great!

Thanks everybody for all your help.

Les

--------------------
Les Wynn
NetKennel.com
Tooele, UT

Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two words

Estimate Software.

-Know your costs-
-Know your profits-
-Price consistantly-

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, that's part of what I already posted. [Smile] Figure out the costs based on $60/hr labor doing the work, but hire a monkey to do the work ($10/hr just to weed? sounds generous, sign me up!) [Smile]

I like Estimate too but you still have to tweak the sliders around a bit to finesse the right price out of it - especially when it comes to smaller decals.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

$10/hour may be generous... but for any less & right when you get em trained, they shrivel up & die of starvation 'round these parts [Smile]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Robert Larkham
Visitor
Member # 2913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Larkham   Email Robert Larkham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I charge 11 cents per square inch.

--------------------
Rob Larkham
Sign Techniques Inc.
Chicopee, Ma

Posts: 607 | From: Chester, Ma. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Doug,

See that's the difference in markets..

If I advertised $10/hr just to sit and weed stickers all day, I'd have to beat job applicants away with a baseball bat, and that wouldn't even deter them! [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!