Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » hold the lawyer jokes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hold the lawyer jokes.
James Donahue
Resident

Member # 3624

Icon 14 posted      Profile for James Donahue   Author's Homepage   Email James Donahue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father passed away last year. He kept to himself, I didn't even know he was in that bad of shape 'till the very end. He gave my cousin power of attorney over his finances.

She called me awhile back and told me she found a retirement-profit sharing account of his, and there was about 15K in it. I have two siblings, so it would be split 3 ways. She started the needed paperwork.

The next time she talked to the company that had the account, they said:"We must've been wrong, it appears there was only 11 or 12K in the account. So she kept on working on the paperwork.

The next time she talked to the company, they said:" You know, we were wrong again, it looks like there's only about 5K in the account. So she tells them:" You'll be hearing from my lawyer".

At this point, I'm thinking, hmmm, 5K divided 3 ways, AFTER the lawyer takes his fee, man I might be able to take the kids out to pizza. I turned it over to God.

Next thing I know, I get some paperwork from the company to fill out for 1/3 or 15K. Of course, the IRS got 20%, but I deposited the check Monday. I guess it's the 'ol "one phone call from the lawyer trick".

--------------------
James Donahue
Donahue Sign Arts
1851 E. Union Valley Rd.
Seymour TN. (865) 577-3365 brushman@nxs.net

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch,
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2057 | From: 1033 W. Union Valley Rd. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Burke
Visitor
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Burke       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing more amazing than some people's love of money is their fear of lawyers...

That is shameful.

--------------------
Steve Burke
Cascades Inc
NS Canada

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you

Posts: 359 | From: NS Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Higdon
Visitor
Member # 2990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Higdon   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Higdon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,
Glad everything worked out and sorry about your dad . I went through the same thing last year and found out the "Power of Attorney" dies the second that whoever you have it on passes, I also found this out the hard way to. If your ever in this situation again make sure they have a will however simple and someone trusted is the executor of it to handle these situations as they arise and 9 out of 10 times you will still need an attorney to resolve financial matters. It nothing fun and no matter the decissions made they always seem to be sticky in one way or another. Glad everything worked out and you and your family got what the were supposed to. I learnead with my dad and now am dealing with my Moms situation a lot differently, but this to is part of life.

Magic

--------------------
Mark " Magic" Higdon
Magic Kustom Graphix
18025 Elton
Alvin, Tx 77511

Posts: 72 | From: Houston, Tx | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!