Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » upgrading software

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: upgrading software
shirley houston
Resident

Member # 4021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirley houston   Email shirley houston       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] i am using signlab 5.0 rev 6.3. signlab has emailed me stating they no longer support signlab 5.0. there presently is an upgrade special to upgrade to signlab e6. this will offer 1 year technical support. maybe i am wrong, but it seems to me if you spend your money to buy a software program they should continue to support it -- not force you to upgrade and then offer free support for only one year.

my question to anyone out there is this. has anyone upgraded to the e6 version? if so, do you recommend this upgrade or should i consider purchasing vinyl master pro. i have not learned all the features in signlab, but vinyl master pro appears to have the same features plus some.

i am really just looking for suggestions and advice as to which way to go.

thanks to anyone who answers this.

shirley houston

--------------------
shirley houston
shirley's etc
384 hillcrest st.
marianna, arkansas 72360
870-298-2624 shop
870-295-5409 home

Posts: 127 | From: marianna, arkansas 72360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shirley,

I started with e6 so i can't compare. I do like SignLab. Many of its capabilities seem patterned after Corel Draw. I'm trying to learn both at once. The only complaint i have about SignLab is their instant replay feature is hard to learn / use compared to Corel's Object Manager.

I got the Training disk free which has been a tremendous help for a first time user.

I guess one thing to consider is will your old files from SignLab be compatible if you switch to a new software package.

And yes, they really get you on software upgrades. I bought Corel Graphics Suite 11 about 10 months ago. Now version 12 is out and i get no break on the upgrade price... they only have a 30 day protection for upgrades.

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Shirley and welcome aboard.
I can't compare the software because I don't use either pogram.
However, for the cost of most sign software upgrades, you can purchase full versions Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. These programs are just as powerful, if not better than a lot of sign making programs and they're a fraction of the cost.
If you search the archives, you'll find a lot of info on how it's done.
As for upgrades and support, would you sell a custom hand made sign and guarantee it forever? What about when a client wants to update their look, will you repaint their sign for free? These things are just part of the cost of doing business. This also affords the programmer the opportunity to improve their product and make it better.
We as craftspersons are always trying to improve our skills. Whether it's buying new tools or learning new techniques, these are expenses that we have to pass along to our clients. If we didn't raise our prices to acommodate for these upgrades we would be out of business.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ernest Clark
Visitor
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ernest Clark   Email Ernest Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shirley
Buy Vinyl master Pro,you won't be sorry.I have had it since ver.1.5 and now it's better than ever.
Ernie

--------------------
Ernest Clark
Dahlonega Sign Co.
101 Whispering Winds Dr
Murrayville,Ga 30564
Been there, Done that, Probably do it again.

Posts: 134 | From: Dahlonega,Ga. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Gluchy
Visitor
Member # 231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Gluchy   Email Joseph Gluchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shirley
I upgraded to version 6..yes I paid for the upgrade...
it is a bummer, but that is the nature of the beast. I upgraded because I changed my OS to
Windows 2000..the old version was not compatible
with Win2K. I bought the short cut version.
I do all my graphics in Corel and export as an
EPS to Signlab6...It works very well...
Hope this will give you some idea when you decide what to do.
Joe Gluchy

--------------------
Joseph Gluchy
Montreal, Quebec

Posts: 67 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley,
I've used SignLab since 1995 and presently have SignLab 5.0 Colormaster Rev.12.I find it to be the best sign program available. I use CorelDraw only to convert files from SignLab when sending customers and printers files.I haven't recieved information that Cadlink will no longer service it.Reckon I better check into that. Thanks.
I have tried a demo of Vinyl Master Pro and it does have some neat features.
Joseph,
My OS is Windows 2000 Pro...SignLab is working with it. However I do have glitches from time to time. It seems options are changed without my help. How much is the upgrade to e6 now? I have heard that SignLab7 is due out soon.
Judy

[ February 28, 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Gluchy
Visitor
Member # 231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Gluchy   Email Joseph Gluchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shirley
I am using Signlab 6.1. It works just fine...
As I said previously, I do all my graphics in Corel and export the image as an EPS file to Signlab and I just use Signlab for cutting.
At this time I see no reason to upgrade.
I was having problems with version 5.xx..from time to time I noticed that there were misses in
some of the cuts. If you want any other info,you can also email me directly...gluchy39@magma.ca
Joe Gluchy

--------------------
Joseph Gluchy
Montreal, Quebec

Posts: 67 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shirley, I have Signlab e6 Colormaster. I had
Signlab 5 and upgraded to E6. It is worth the upgrade. I am in El Dorado, Ark. If you would like to come and see it first hand, you are more than welcome. I have never regretted the purchase
of e6. E6 is quite a bit more stable than signlab 5 and very seldom crashes. Like I said, feel free
to come and see it first hand! Just get on hwy 79
and take a left in Fordyce.

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!