Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Finally Back At it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally Back At it!
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That meet in Birmingham did wonders to rekindle my fires of creativity, and made me want to get back to doing the finer type of lettering and more "craftsman-type" signage.

I have a good customer who is doing an addition to his business, and wanted some real "folk-sy" and unique types of indoor signage for his store.

The top sign, I carved, ground and sanded 2" styrofoam to look like old logs, and painted them with acrylics. The sign was done on PVC, but painted to look old and worn, using a technique shown to me by Mark Fair. This sign panel was only a sample, to show him the effect (and to see if I could actually still pull it off). The final sign, may be MDO or .....?

The second sign was an old frame, rescued from a shed and restored, and a new sign inside, I painted for a sweet lady's restaurant I'm doing signs for.

I haven't done any signs like this, since I had that stroke, 2+ years ago, and it's been a lot of work, getting my old, worn-out body back in the groove again. Feels real good!! All Hand-lettered. They're out of order, but I'm sure youall can figure out, which goes where.

I want to thank Sam, Mark, Mike, Aaron, Craig, Nancie, Joe and all the rest of the gang at Birmingham, for getting me re-started. And thanks to Almighty God, first and foremost, for giving me the skills and talent to do it again.

[IMG]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg234/dfeicke/2013-04-2  - 2092937_zps2e2b6657.jpg[/IMG]  -  -  -

[ April 27, 2013, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are wonderful Dale!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shirley Carron
Visitor
Member # 2446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shirley Carron   Email Shirley Carron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Dale!
I know how you feel...I've been 'away' from signs for a few years now and am getting back into it again...and it does feel good!
Just a suggestion...would you consider dry brushing some brown on the logs? They look a little char-broiled in the picture. I have done logs and tree branches before, the same way and find that by dry brushing a couple, or a few, shades of brown they really look like wood.
I love your hand lettering.

--------------------
Shirley Carron
Black Sheep Designs
184 John St. N.
Arnprior,On.,Canada
shirleyc@magma.ca
613-623-7053

Posts: 503 | From: Arnprior, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip, Shirley! I've not done very many logs, and am learning, mainly by looking at images on the web. I'll try your suggestions on future pieces.

When I showed it to my customer, he went wild! Said he wanted a bunch more, for different areas in the store, as the expansion/remodel progresses. So, I guess I'm in the right ballpark anyway.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some fun stuff here Dale. Looks great.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good Dale, it's nice to paint!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale ya just don't know how great it was to meet & see your past work at Birmingham, was greatly inspired & really wanted to talk more, but there was so much going on.

These new ones are outstanding ya didn't miss a beat , hope to see alot more.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the type of fun stuff to start back with!! I always loved whimsical signage.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!