Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Canopy Oaks/Magic Sculpt I

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canopy Oaks/Magic Sculpt I
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Gang, This is going to be a step by step with some photo gaps. 2 years ago I was asked to give an estimate to dress up the Westminster Oaks' assisted living hallways these were to include quaint signs to Identify the 4 different corridors as "Street" signs and signs for 2 different Cafeterias. Even though I have done other similar projects for them in the past. see http://www.saulssigns.com/index.cfm?cat=clients&subcat=Westminster
They were a bit taken back by the prices this time. I knew these would be stepped up designwise and be multi-paneled if not fully dimensional.
They did them in stages over several years for budgetary reasons. They never would pay for full dimensional.
Sometimes there are jobs that would be nice to do for our own reasons: Learning new medias and techniques. We have to create high end samples if we are ever going to sell them. Might as well get paid partially to do them. On the Canopy Oaks Cafe sign and on the up coming Garden View Cafe, I'll be making a smaller version of each for my own wall.
Now with the history behind us we move on. My objective was to wow them and others with what is possible. Knowing that I would be taking a financial hit in the hourly rate department I wished to used shop scraps whenever possible. Why not let past clients pay for the materials for this project.
The only materials that I would purchase would be. $8 worth of ESP foam, 2 Cans of spray paint and 4 machine screws with matching nuts.
I began by transferring the letters drawn by my plotter on to Poly-metal with a ball-point pen and carbon paper. I then laid the metal on a piece of 1 inch thick Styrofoam sheet. I then placed an 1/8 inch router bit in my plunge router and cut out the Poly-metal letters by hand. The foam sheet was just a soft material to suspend the Poly-metal on for routing. Although this worked well as Sam Staffan suggested my hand routing skills did no justice to Dave Correll's Signmaker and Stone Cutter fonts.

-

I then pressed a 1/8 in. layer of MagicSulpt Epoxy clay on to the letters. This 2 part clay remains workable for a couple of hours give or take depending on temperatures and humidity. I then took a tool from a ceramic sculpting set, that was nothing but a heavy duty straight pin secured in a wooden handle. with it I trimed off the clay that was over lapping the edges of the lettering. After the trimming and some hardening of the clay I smoothed the surfaces, letter faces and edges, with my water soaked fingers. While the Clay was reasonably soft I pressed in texture with a round end wooden tool and a wet burlap sack for the Garden View letters.
I cannot tell you with enough enthusiasm the hiding benefits of adding the texture. My rough routing went away and the letters were just plain more interesting.

My next step was to join two pieces of foam together edge to edge. Because I did not know what type of adhesive to use on this frajile product I went with duct tape a seam on the front and one on the back. because of the layout I could trim the tape and remove it from between my raised letters. The foam was to be used mainly as a build up or filler for the clay. I was relying of the MagicSculpt to harden and create a durable shell. But first some depth and detail, would have to be added to my foam base with Hot-wire hobby tools.

-

My next step was to firm up the foam base because I would need to spread a thin layer of the dense clay on to the soft beaded cells, all without tearing it up. I had done an experiment with a local company that sprays Pick-up truck bedliners the product that they use creates a tough rubbery shell without "eating" the foam chemically. My guy when asked about spraying one for real suddenly mistook me for Donald Trump, so I fired him. He finally suggested that I try an aerosol product sold at Home depot's paint Dept. It was Rustoleum's
Black bed liner spray. Thank Heavens I did a test it DID eat the foam.
I Painted 3 heavy coats of latex primer on all surfaces before spraying on the coating. It did pock the foam even through the primer, so I kept the coats very light with a lot of curing time between about 3-4 coats. Would the Magic Sculpt or latex paint stick to this coating? I would know soon enough.
Next a layer of Clay was spread on to the coated foam in strategic areas. Before a more detailed layer of Magic Scuplt could be applied.

-

-

Here some of the components are laid together un-painted.

-

Continued in Part 2

[ November 24, 2011, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Bob Sauls ]

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bumped

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting, and looking great.

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see something still done by hand and not machine, nice and refreshing!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Bumped back up for dave Sherby.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bob. Don't know how I missed it the first time.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Desrochers
Visitor
Member # 7508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Desrochers   Author's Homepage   Email William Desrochers       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to ask, what's poly-metal..?

--------------------
William Desrochers
Excalibur Creations & Recognition
"Cutting Edge of Quality & Design"
http://www.excaliburcreations.com

Raster Bitmap to Vector Conversion Service

Posts: 9 | From: Ayer's Cliff, Quebec, Canada Eh! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

It is a solid sheet of nylon or some form of plastic clad on both sides with a thin aluminum laminate.
I have heard it called by several brand name. Dibond being the most well known.

Be watching for part 3 of this post I am almost done with Garden View Cafe, the sister cafe to Canopy Oaks.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!