Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Taxi Restoration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taxi Restoration
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year a gentleman came into the studio and asked if we could do some hand lettering on a peddle car that he had received for Christmas as a child. It was in really bad shape but was to go to a body shop for restoration, but he needed someone to replace the hand lettering. I took patterns off the little car and he left for the body shop.

It was six months before he brought it back. It was in perfect condition.

I found out that he had received the little car as a Christmas gift in the 40's - almost the same year I was born. He had kept it all these years and wanted a memento to pass on to his grandchildren.

As I did the lettering I couldn't help but imagine an old sign painter back over sixty years ago sitting and doing the same thing I was doing. My shop was well lighted and heated - comfortable, with music playing in the background. He probably was working in a dingy garage with a dirt floor and a light bulb hanging from a cord, heated by a wood or kerosene stove.

His paint may have mixed from pigment and lead while mine was out of a can all ready to use. Thinner was turpentine or maybe even gasoline while mine was a special mixture that matched the temperature.

There was probably not a lot of difference in the brushes we used.

It was a nice time of trying to visualize what he looked like and how he felt while lettering this little car for a man that was about to give it to his son for Christmas. He was a taxi driver here in Temple and may have used a sign painter by the name of Lee (Raymond Lee)who was still painting signs when I was in high school, although an old man by that time.

I'm not sure who lettered the little peddle car, but I would like to think that it was Raymond Lee because I have some of his gold leaf and other articles that were purchased from his widow back in the 60's. It was nice to think that while I admired his work way back there (and he had no idea who I was) that I was getting to reproduce his design over 65 years later.

Lawyers and plumbers don't get those experiences, I don't think.

-

-

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story, cool car...Thanks, Raymond

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool stuff Raymond. And while this job most likely didn't fill the bank account in a big way I'll bet it was more worthwhile than many that did.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got that right, Mr. Dan.

It felt good to have a brush in my hand. And while my 66 year old hands didn't shake, there must have been something wrong with the lighting because the little details were hard to see.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Carney
Visitor
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Carney   Email Robert Carney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nicely done Raymond ... ditto on the great story!

--------------------
Robert Carney
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 131 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clark
Visitor
Member # 2268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clark   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, Raymond!! Looks real sweet.

--------------------
Michael Clark
Clark Signs
138 W. Main St.
Aledo, IL 61231
clarksigns1@yahoo.com
www.clarksigns.net

Posts: 241 | From: Aledo, IL | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Story and Great Work!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work monsieur Chapman!! It put a smile in my face everytime I see you still get to do hand lettering work! And always rewarding to bring back memeories for people.

Life is so good!!

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Mr Chapman.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond,

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago except it was a grandmother who purchased one for her son. I think that model was about 1967 or so and in about the same shape. I totally redid it and it was a success. I wish I could see the smile on the kids face when he gets that as a present!

Awesome job!

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

It's not a gift for a child. The man received it as a Christmas gift in the 40's when he was a child and had it restored to keep for himself.

Thanks for the nice words, though.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas

Dirk Rampling
Visitor
Member # 9233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirk Rampling   Email Dirk Rampling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quirky jobs like this that make the sign industry so enjoyable. Nice work.

--------------------
Dirk Rampling
Far South Design
South Pambula NSW

Posts: 39 | From: South Pambula NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is cool

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Ray! I did one for a friend a few years back... I'll try and post it in the next day or so...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really a neat job...and what a great before and after pic

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to believe that those pics are of the same car!!!!!

Wonderful story and an even better paint job.

Congrats Ray.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks great Raymond! I miss the days of brush lettering. So much, that I am resupplying my brushes and paint and going to do more hand lettering on my signs. ONe of the people whos work I love, Todd Hanson, still does everything by hand and turns out some awesome work, not to mention Pierre also.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's really nice. I hoped you signed and dated it somewhere.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3812 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Winkler Erik Winkler has just turned 47
Visitor
Member # 9040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Winkler   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Winkler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wowww that looks allmost impossible.
Beautifull!

--------------------
Erik Winkler
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler
Stammerkamp 14
1112VH Diemen
Nederland
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Dekoratie Studio Ferry Winkler on facebook
Schitterend on facebook

Posts: 121 | From: Amsterdam Nederland Europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Raymond! That is beautiful! What fun that must have been!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!