Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Bear Creek Lodge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bear Creek Lodge
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a layout for a shirt that I just completed.

Please offer some good, honest, constructive criticism. The job is complete, but I'd like to know what I can do better with next time.

-

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much too critique. It's a great design! I'm not a big fan of that letterstyle. In LODGE the D and the G don't exactly look like a D and a G. However the layout, colours and images are so perfect you know it says lodge without even reading it.

Great logo!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phillip Newell   Author's Homepage   Email Phillip Newell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Terry. I agree on the font. I should have adjusted it a bit. I tend to rely on my fonts too much and not really look at each letter with a critical eye.

I also notice something else that bugs me about the layout. I should have taken care of the white/light space between "Bear" and "Creek". I think I should have made that the dark brown color.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Posts: 187 | From: Henderson, IL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm liking that 100%...nice job Phillip!!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cliff Butner
Visitor
Member # 5996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cliff Butner   Email Cliff Butner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a great layout. Agree with the Lodge lettering not working well. I might have used the Mikes Block Style on lodge to match cabin. The bear paws look out of place to me. the design would have a great silhouette without the paws. Keep up the quality work! how long did you work on this design?

--------------------
Cliff Butner
Motion Graphix
2410 Crane Ct.
Saint Cloud Fl. 34771

Posts: 45 | From: Saint Cloud FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a great design Phillip!! (as always)
I agree that Lodge is a little too bold and tough to read.
Also, the upright B and K bug me abit. Maybe should have had them flow with the arc.

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anything, I might have played with making the C in creek larger, that way you could reduce the space between words and maintain the flow. Overall, though, very nice; the letterstyle complements the subject and theme very appropriately.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about changing the background behind the bear? He would stand out better with no outline needed.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phillip,

Thats one cool shirt design. I bet your customer is very happy.

Keep up the great work!

-Charles

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a nature lover...so I always love to see designs with a nature theme and this one is no exception...my first impression was that of the total design without looking at the details...and I saw what Cliff saw...the unattached bear paws are a distraction...although a neat idea...when I cover them up the design seems to have a stronger central focus and is less busy...some good ctiticisms have been made on the finer points...all seem to have value and would make a great layout even better...but even without them I like it alot.

[ October 08, 2009, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a great logo Phillip. Im loving the bear. Is it something you had drawn up, or from an art bureau?
Great logo though.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip Newell
Visitor
Member # 4618

Hey John,

It's actually art that I found on istockphoto. It came in a group of 3 bears. Nice stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

--------------------
Phillip Newell
Newell Graphics
1346 Garnet St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-754-5113

Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the overall concept and the fact that you distressed it. The lettering is an easy fix though personally I think the imperfections add to the charm.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice design - how'd you get a gig in the north Georgia mountains from Iowa?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!