Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Painting on the prairies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting on the prairies
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Digital painting that is.
I downloaded a trial of Painter X. Here is my first attempt at a digital oil painting.
It's not quite as much fun as real painting, but a lot less messy. I have a friend who has been battling cancer for a couple of years now and is nearing her time. She loved her garden and flowers so I'm going to get a canvas printed and give her a copy. Maybe it will brighten her room.
 -

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it Kelly!

Even tho it goes against my painter's ethics. I may start playing with the program when I can't hold a brush anymore [Wink]

Nice thought too for your friend.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you get going it really isn't all that much different from actually painting. Your wacom pen acts as the brush and the paint follows the lines of the strokes. There is a pallet where you can mix colours and load your brush and they have "real bristle brushes" now that actually show the texture of the bristles. The brushes fan out and drag according to the pressure you use.

I'm betting that someone here is going to figure out that you can use the program to handletter digitally. I can see it being a very useful skill. I guess we'll have to put the bug in their ear to develop a line of digital quills. [Wink]

I'm trying to break the learning curve because I have a mental visual for a mural that I have been wanting to do for a few years now. I believe would be very sellable in our area, but it's hard to verbally express what's in your minds eye.

With Painter everything can be done in layers and there is a lot more flexibility for colour, size, content adjustments, should the project take. Most importantly, though you can do up something in your own style. If the mural is contracted you then have a digital rendering that can be used for your portfolio as well as given to the client for promotional items.

I realize that a lot of the veterans in this business will find the idea offensive, but it's just another tool in the business, one that allows you to be much more expressive and part of the process than most software. You can really easily pick up where you left off and work for five minutes or four hours depending on your mood. There is room for lots of experimenting and by saving often you have room to experiment and try different things that you wouldn't normally dare on an actual physical piece of art.

In the end, it's just another tool, it takes the artist to make it sing. Anyone who has watched Dan do his digital sketching will know what I mean. Drawing and painting in Photoshop and Photopaint wil produce similar results, but painter is a little more geared towards what I need.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Borges de Oliveir
Visitor
Member # 3770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Borges de Oliveir   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Borges de Oliveir   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very beautiful Kelly. Sounds like you are having fun!

Thanks for posting!

--------------------
Charles Borges de Oliveira
Borges Lettering & Design
Snohomish WA

Posts: 352 | From: Snohomish WA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan Banasky
Resident

Member # 1164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan Banasky   Email Susan Banasky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly...nothing wrong with more tools....
What a beautiful 'painting' and what a beautiful thought for your friend.
I think it looks soft, peaceful and quite magical.
Best of all .....it's pink!!
Great job!

--------------------
Susan Banasky
Source Signs
Nanaimo, British Columbia
sourcesigns@shaw.ca

When in need....go directly to the "Source"!

Proud Supporter of this "Knowledge Network"!

Posts: 1323 | From: Nanaimo, B.C. Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Kelly...What your time in it?

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Pink???????? - must be your monitor Sue! [Razz]
Actually, nature wears pink well. [Smile]
(You do too, truth be told.) [Smile]

Pat you mean learning Photopaint ot this particular image?
About three hours or maybe more. I get lost in time when I play. [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Steve Purcell
Visitor
Member # 1140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Purcell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent use of the Wacom brush, Kelly!
[Applause]

--------------------
Steve Purcell
Purcell Woodcarving & Signmaking
Cape Cod, MA

Intelligent Design Is No Accident

Posts: 900 | From: Cape Cod, MA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gorgeous!

I thought that you took a Photo and then applied filters at first, but that is true Artwork!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good Kelly! I don't find it offensive, posting pictures of Zuchini is offensive. (But I'm told it looked great on "ZuchiniHeads Website.)

I would like to learn some o those new fandangeled things someday...I still use mouse!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Thanks for the nice comments.
Neil, I've never been a fan of the artisitic filters..in the end they look like just what they are, filters. There are certain circumstances where they are useful, but they can't know what direction a petal grows.
Mike I was talking about the idea of painting digitally, not posting...you're just too sensitive. [Wink]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it Kel... this is truely beautifull!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks excellent Kelly!!! I intended to ask you at Steve and Barb's picnic if you had purchased a Wacom tablet yet?

Beautiful job!!!

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just amazing, Kelly- one more skill!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I ever say how proud I am of you. You amaze me. Keep up the good work.

I may give this medium a go. Perhaps I'll give you a call when that time arives.

Joe

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!