Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Another Coal Vines Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Coal Vines Sign
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here’s a couple of pictures of a job we finished yesterday. We did a smaller version of this last year.

There were two of these signs, one on the front of the building and one on the back. They are approximately 5' x 9'. The 2" thickness background is Aluminum with black beauty smalts, the incised lettering in the outer ring also is filled with black beauty smalts. The outer ring was given a hammered copper look and it, the scrollwork and grapes are finished with copper paint. The letters are prismatic face HDU and the drop shadows are HDU finished with Gold leaf.

This view shows it on the trailer as we left the shop.

-

This shows the finished sign on the wall.

-

We dodged lots of rain and motorists who were still driving the Indy 500 on this one and I was very happy to put it in the rear view mirror. The customer loved it and wants some more.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Harding, that is first class.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still one of my all time favourite signs. Glad it turned out okay after the problems you had... now take a long weekend!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't. Sophie has knee replacement surgery tomorrow morning. Now, she'll be able to kick me with two good legs.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triple whistle here, David! The colors also really take me away! very cool. (and I love the design, of course).

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Roberts
Resident

Member # 7301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Roberts   Author's Homepage   Email John Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Stuff!

--------------------
John Roberts
Dimensionalcarving.com
3751 E. Diamond Ave
Mesa, AZ 85206

Posts: 22 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is fabulous. I wish we would get jobs like that here. HOw fun it would be!

T

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Classy!

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

That sure is a beauty! I love everything about it.

[Applause] [Applause]

joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutly beautiful. Another Signcraft caliber sign from Dave.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave - that's one of the coolest signs I've seen - sincerely nice design and great execution.

Is that a design you created or did you create a dimensional version of an existing logo? In either case, again - GREAT JOB!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is beautiful!

Did you draw the scrollwork yourself? I always want to use scrolls but can never seem to find ready made versions that fit the need. When I try to draw them they are terrible.

What brand is the copper paint?

Very nice.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A to Z,...top to bottom,... Wow!

Yes, like Amy said, more details please.

Peace,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

The logo was designed by David Beck, an illustrator in the area who also designed the menus, boxes, etc. He came up with the scrollwork through many revisions a year ago.

I tweaked the scrollwork and lettering because the final design wasn't symmetrical. The grapes and "V" were to the right of center and the scrollwork was condensed to accomodate for that. I worked on the letter forms and spacing to bring the "V" and grape cluster to the middle and allow for the scrolls to be mirrors of each other.

The printed form is orange, black, and white. I came up with the construction techniques and colors to use on the sign.

The scrolls and grapes were cut out of HDU and hand carved to their final shapes. I carved one of each and gave them to the shop as a pattern on how to carve the rest. The copper paint is Modern Masters Metal Effects Copper, which has real copper in it and will patina without a clear coat. It is equivalent to the paint Dan Sawatzky uses. I first did a base coat of a rust red Sherwin Williams Superpaint, then the copper and clear.

I used black silicone sealant to adhere the scrollwork and letters. That way, any adhesive that squished out wouldn't be noticeable.

The black smalts, Copper, white, and Gold makes for a really dramatic effect in person.

Edited to add: When we built the sign last year, at first the outer ring was going to have a smooth surface with the incised letters. We had painted the copper color and I kept thinking, "This just looks like another panel off someone's router. It needs texture."

SignCraft had just done an article on Dan's textures and I thought, "What would Dan do? He'd make it look like hammered copper." I grabbed a ball pien hammer and started pounding away at that ring. The more I beat on it, the better it looked (it really says something about your work when steadily bashing it with a hammer improves it).

After about two hours of abusing that piece with the hammer and other implements of destruction (including Todd Gill in a theater), that portion of the sign had a totally different character. I repainted it (although the paint held up under the abuse remarkably well) and we continued on our merry way.

[ May 31, 2007, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David that is beautiful!!

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice David [Applause]

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top shelf Dave!

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Norcross
Resident

Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Norcross   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Norcross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow great work, keep up the good work.
Mike

--------------------
Mike Norcross
Mikes Signs and Graphics
Box 1232 172 adams street
Afton, Wyoming 83110

Posts: 82 | From: Afton, Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thats over the top awesume and a class act wow ..I'm a copper fan for resturant signs you made that even look better then ever seen

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!! That looks like a Raymond Chapmidget sign design. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] ...beauty!

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff, Mr Harding! [Applause]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talisman
Visitor
Member # 1869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talisman   Author's Homepage   Email Talisman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, that is one sweet sign!

--------------------
Joe Abner
Talisman Signs
Middleboro, MA

"We are limited only by our perception of our abilities."

Posts: 445 | From: Middleboro, Ma USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Holohan
Visitor
Member # 2514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Holohan   Email William Holohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double WOW...Outstanding piece of work...

--------------------
William "Irish" Holohan
Resting...Read "Between Jobs."
Marlboro, MA 01752
email: firemap1@aol.com

Posts: 1110 | From: Marlboro, MA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, David! Truly a classic..love the colors and I imagine it looks even better in person..especially the gold.
Judy

[ June 10, 2007, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!