Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » STRIPING PRACTICE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STRIPING PRACTICE
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are 2 fenders I did for practice Sunday. The orange one is my brother's, & the colors match his tank. The blue one is his friend's.

I asked my brother if anyone was there before I got there, & he said no, so I brought my paints. Lo & behold, some people showed up, & were swarming around the bikes, between the bikes & the paint, & I had to weave around them & their kids. I was ready to SCREAM!!!!!!

I know these are very far from perfect, & this is not a pride thing, I simply do NOT want people around when I do this.

One question to any stripers out there, please? What do you use to draw a grid on your surface, or even to draw your design? I seem to do better if I draw it beforehand. I know, I know, they are crooked!!!!! I will post a bit more as a get better, ok?

-

-

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Flint
Visitor
Member # 6602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Flint   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Flint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey There,

Not bad for someone who hasen't done much of this type of work.

As for your question: I usually draw out some guide lines with a Stabilo and go from there. For intricate designs I will make a paper pattern, transfer the design on the vechicle with tracing paper then go over it lightly with the stabilo and then start striping.

Question: What type of brush did you use...a sword striper or a quill?

--------------------
Rich Flint
FLINT SIGNS
6 Holbrook Road
Oxford, Massachusetts
rich@flintsigns.com

Posts: 90 | From: Oxford, Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, it looks real good and nice colors too.

Try not to use a grid but a starting point like a center piece, teardrop etc. This way you can add as you've done in these pieces. In the future you'll find designs which pop out of your head for the correct look of what you're working on at that moment.

Hope this helps [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks really good, Bobbie! No appologies needed!
Cat

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie,
I've seen a hell of alot worse by people that got paid!

You got the feel, just keep on with it.

Nice job, by the way. [Applause]

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice work, Bobbie.
I'm jealous.
You gotta come down here some day and teach me.
love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Bobbie! I bet they were thrilled. You are certainly on the right track there!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They both turned out nice Bobbie. I really like the blue one.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work, Bobbie- no grid used here, just a centre line, often chalked in, or pressed in a bit of paper, chalk the back, and press it on the guard for an imprint, then blow the dust off. Alternately, you can often guess a good centre line as Joey mentions, as you do the first tear drop.

Keep it up!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like yer getting a good handle on this Bobbie!
Nice work!!!

Stevo

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so very much!!!! Yes, your tips will help a lot, & I have to tell you, when people who do the kind of work like all of YOU do, encourage you, it pushes you on!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, forgot to answer you Richard... I actually used a Mack virus brush I bought at the zoo. I also bought a Swirlie Q, but can't master it!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good, Bobbie. I think you've got the feel, my friend, so stay with it and remember my name when you're famous.

I know what you mean about people swarming around while you work. You eventually block them out, but they mean no ill will. They are just fascinated. Being a veteran of bike rallies, I can tell you, that when you're on a roll, you'll have an entourage and you'll feed off their excitement. The excitement can bring out the best in ya. A good striper always draws a crowd.

Stabilos are good for laying out a grid if you need to, although with bikes and the narrow format of a fender, you probably won't need one, besides under hot weather circumstances, stabilos are worthless unless you have them in a cooler, because the heat makes them soft and they smear.

In a multiple color design, you can start out with a subtle color that you want to visually go back in the distance and let that be your guideline. Put your brighter colors on top and look for nests and shapes that can be enhances or crossed over by other colors.

Well ... look at me trying to describe how I go about it ... hey, girl there are no rules -- let your mind wander, become one with your brushes and have fun with it and the rest will take care of itself.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

My teacher!!! Famous? Oh my.

I can hardly wait to see you again! Hope you are going to Dixie Meet, I am trying to go too!

[ July 12, 2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Rochow ]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent job Bobbie!

You're doin the trade well! Have you had a chance to try a Kafka brush?? (Maybe another tool for your kit)?? They're kinda wierd at first, but also work really well (get a small one).

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as grids and drawing out a design, go with whatever feels comfortable. I started out not using grids or guidelines as the stripers I watched growing up never used them. Then I started "cheating", using my sign experience and doing some basic layouts. After panel jamming one time at meet and noticing a lot og "name" stripers were using grids and guidelines I figured it was OK.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, you keep this nice work up, you gonna be Busy!! What a nice way to make money, eh!

[Applause]

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Salyers
Visitor
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Salyers   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Salyers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two words.... Su WEEEEET!
look how far you have come! Nice style!

--------------------
AirbrushBobby.com
Clearwater, FL
The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.1Cor1:18
“The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord”Rom6:23

Posts: 505 | From: Clearwater Florida USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet!!

Nice work Bobbie.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very NICE!!
Bobbie!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Bobbie! I was nervous as hell the first time I striped around alot of people, but not any more. The more ya do it, the easier it becomes, so put yourself out there and go for it. And just have confidence in your abilities! Keep them brush hairs wet! ...Kristie

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Hey, a girlie-striper! Cool! Hope I get to meet you someday Kristie!

ps....do you ever have trouble getting the handle of the brush to stay tucked under your hand? Do you always hold your brush the "standard striper" way?

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, Ha Bobbie, I hear that one alot! No, I don't have any trouble with the brush handle, but it takes practice, practice, practice to learn to stripe in my opinion. An old signpainter gave me a very good piece of advice that helped me alot when starting out...he told me to let my brush and hand follow my eye. It worked for me, and just fir fun, I use the computer mouse and do striping on windows paint. I guess I hold my brush the "standard" way, or any way I need to really. I'm probably not the best one to ask about technics because I'm better with a brush than I am with words, and explanations. Anyway, lookin' forward to meeting you someday, too. ...Kristie

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!