Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » critiques and advices please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: critiques and advices please
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel Gervais   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Gervais       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, this is the latest version of my logo. I would like to keep the essentials but give it a modern twist. I really love the paintbrushes like Mark Yearwood's sign in the past issue of signcraft but I can't find where to put them [Confused]

When my clients see it, they feel I might be too expensive.Any comments are welcome !
I know , it's all french !!!
Thanks in advance!

Dan
 -

Thanks to Si for telling me how to post corel work!!!

[ July 20, 2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Daniel Gervais ]

--------------------
Daniel Gervais (dgd34@hotmail.com on MSN messenger)
Atelier d'enseignes Bois et Passions (Wood and Passions signshop)
www.enseignesbp.com
75 rue Luc St-jean sur richelieu, Qc,Can
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Posts: 74 | From: Saint Jean sur Richelieu, Qc ,Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the panels and the conservative colors. Very elegant look. I have a hard time with the concept of arching (or arcing) an italic font or script in this case. It makes the lettering look off balanced.

And, I can't read French- [Big Grin] so it looks like it would translate "Boys of Passion" (Just kidding!)

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael - to me with my high school French it translates.....

Atelier Designs
Drink and Passion
Signs
Residential and Commercial

I'm pretty sure the drink part is wrong though [Rolling On The Floor]

Dan, It is nice, but but a bit fussy for a logo. I also agree about not arcing the script. Could you pare it back to the basics a bit and then add the extras on your business cards and signs? It does definitely give the impression of a higher priced shop, but that could be a good thing....

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks a bit crowded to me with all the copy pushed to (or over) it's nearest border.

IMO the phone number doesn't really belong there ... maybe extend the back panel below the front one and put it there.

The blur around it makes it look dirty.

How's it look in black and white?

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel Gervais   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Gervais       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI and thanks Mark,Kelly and Michael, I will modify it and post it again later today. Here's a word to word translation of what it says, as you'll see, the order of words is sometimes inverted in french :
Workshop
signs
wood and passions
signs
residential and commercial
Should read: Wood and passions sign shop(no french for sign shop) residential and commercial signs.
By the way Kelly, I stopped drinking 3 years ago, but the passion is still there... [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Posts: 74 | From: Saint Jean sur Richelieu, Qc ,Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

You took the time to help me ,so I took the time to quickly redo,

-

Took away the arc(h)ing and centered words to keep away from the borders.Also took of the drop shades(they looked good on my colour flyer but not on the white background of the post)
I took out the second "enseignes" (signs) cause it felt repetitive.
BTW,I did like the arc and over border because it brought attention to the word "signs" but I did post for advice . Let me know how it feels to you !!!Mostly, does it look like a signs business ?
Thanks again ,love y'all [Thanks]

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel,
I am glad that you "uncrunched" the bottom panel.
My suggestions:
I don't care for the brackets around the area code, or for the italic alphabet....try swithcing to University Roman or just getting rid of the slant.
The kerning between the D' and the enseignes needs to be tightened.
And the whole title needs to have more negative space around it.
I think that the two panels that you have chosen are from two different time periods, and that kinda bugs me too.
OK, sorry to be so critical but you asked! It is an elegant-looking design.
Love....Jill
Edited to add a different version, panels by Gary Godby, period alphabets, with handmade brushes and a chisel by Stevo.
 -

[ July 21, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Jill Marie Welsh ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

I'm glad you did Jill , I love your work and find you are always a good critic .Fact is , I learn a lot from watching your advice on other posts.
 -

Keep 'em coming !

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

Hmmm, what's with that picture ?

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daniel,

I like the colors....not to be mean, but the sign shape itself sort of reminds me of a tombstone....it's giving me the creeps.

I'm also thinking the horizontal panel at the bottom seems a little too "bottom heavy"

I'm in agreement that the revision looks much better than the first though...

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

Kool one Jill ! The carving tools are familiar among us , but may confuse people with a butcher [Rolling On The Floor] I like that border, I found mine to be a bit too square and serious. I think I can come up with something by merging our two styles !

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Denis E. Renaud
Visitor
Member # 4610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denis E. Renaud   Author's Homepage   Email Denis E. Renaud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salut Daniel,
mon opinion serais de mettre le mon "Bois Et Passion" comme titre, ensuite enseigne commerciale et residentiele. Je trouve que les mots "Atelier d'enseigne" ne sont pas nécessaire. cela donnerais de l'espace negatif sur le panneaux qui est nécessaire.
Denis

--------------------
Denis Renaud
EXIT66 Signs & Graphics
Caselman, ON Can.
denis@exit66.ca

Posts: 84 | From: Casselman, On. Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, It seems that you're trying to force a layout to work in the panel you chose. Don't do that.

Instead, get rid of the panels and go back to just the wording that needs to be on it. Do a nice layout of the words, paying attention to what the main copy and primary copy is. Then draw a panel around it.

I think if you do it this way you'll come up with something awesome.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always try to picture the person posting rolling on the floor laughing continuously like the little yellow smily face guys like him------------> [Rolling On The Floor]

[ July 25, 2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Dawud Shaheed ]

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Gervais
Visitor
Member # 5684

Hi everybody, Salut Denis(je vais continuer en anglais) I chose my company name in a strategic way. starting with Atelier, alphabetically, it places me first in most media(yellow pages,phone books,local business books...) the other guys use "enseignes" or "Design". the word "enseignes" (signs) says it all. My competitors name have nothing to do with their field of work, for example, one uses 3 letters(ex.:A.B.C.)and the other uses his name(ex.: John doe Design) and my market research showed me that the clients thought they were hard to find because they looked under signs.

They are both successful in their field (the first in residential, the second in faux-finish and structural signs)
The first guy is a part-time doing wonderful house numbers, the second(A.K.A.john doe Design)
tells me he wastes a lot of time answering to people who want wedding dresses, interior decoration tips and stuff(design being used in many fields in french). Bois et Passions (wood and passions) well describe my interests, wood signs but also many other media like iron work,sculpting, painting and soon, creating web sites and more... I'm working on something different that I will show soon... But the name remains as is !!!
Many thanks to all [Wink]

[ July 25, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Daniel Gervais ]

--------------------
www.enseignesbp.com
dgervais@enseignesbp.com

Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Daniel,
I like the flavor, version 2 imho is best, but it doesn't seem to incoporate your passions.
First, I would loose the script, I feel it is difficult to read on a sign.
Second, I would incorporate your other passions, your ironwork and sculpting. I could see a cameo or dimensional shape on top of your current layout. How you include the metalwork is up to you. I'm drawing a blank this early in the morning [Smile]
As for your picture problem, it would appear that something got corrupted during the export or uploading of the file.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!