Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » clear on clear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: clear on clear
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a job doing some panels for a trade show booth. There are eleven panels cut to a specific shape out of clear 1/4" plexi. I cut a template with a reduced size to account for the offset and used a router template guide to do the cutting. That came out real clean using the proper bit.

One side of the plexi gets lettered, the other gets that faux sandblast tape on it. The tape the designer chose was the dusted crystal Gerber makes. The panels get this repete pattern of hexagons covering the plastic.

Problem is... seeing the cut lines on this stuff is real tough. Then after it's weeded, seeing the forms through application tape is just as tough. When you have clear release liner, clear vinyl, clear application tape, and apply it on clear plexi, there's not much to look at.

If I had this job to do again, I'd cut the patterns from the paper that comes on the plastic and sandblast them.

------------------

"The codfish lays ten thousand eggs,
the homely hen lays one
the codfish never cackles to tell you
what she's done
And so we shun the codfish while
the lowly hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
that it pays to advertise!"
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Ogden Nash

The Sign Shop
Mendocino, CA.

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try rubbing a very small amount of chalk on the cuts, I know what you mean about this stuff being a real problem to see even when weeding.

------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,
a little charcoal on the vinyl before you weed it helps with weeding & although I haven't had a a need to try it but what about making a rubbing of the vinyl after you mask it to see it better?
just a suggestion,
Checkers

------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
Classic Signs
South Plainfield, NJ
http://members.home.net/sign-it/
"Our signs are well hung"

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carlos herrera
Visitor
Member # 503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carlos herrera   Author's Homepage   Email carlos herrera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you might also try rubbing the side of a pencil over the application tape after masking so tht you can get an outline of the shape before applying.
just a thought

------------------
Carlos Herrera
*SignLizard* on chat
Visionary Signs
Carson, CA 90745
310-886-4581 Page
VisionSgn@cs.com
"SIGNS DONT COST MONEY, THEY MAKE MONEY"

Posts: 195 | From: carson, ca, usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
weeding sim etch is a bear but application is a real bumer!I just did a ton of windows with the stuff and ended up marking the outlines on the transfer tape before applying

------------------
Brian Stoddard
Expressions Signs
A few puddles east of Seattle

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Percell
Merchant

Member # 399

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ron Percell   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Percell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just back light the panels

------------------
Ron Percell
Percell Signs
707-769-0639
Petaluma, California

Home of the MicroMeet!

percell@percellsigns.com

Percell Signs Web Site

Posts: 913 | From: Petaluma,California,U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean!! I had to put some of those frosted letters on a window. The only way to see what I was doing was to rub them with my stabillo. I had to stand there and scratch my head for awhile on that job.

------------------
Cheryl Nordby "surf" (previously Cheryl Bianchi)
signs and lines
"surfsigns"
a hop and skip from Seattle
surfsigns@excite.com

ICQ# 36992184

Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!