Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Signgold question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Signgold question
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really necessary to seal the edges on letters cut from Signgold? I have seen the silver go bad at the edges, but silver tarnishes, gold doesn't. I haven't yet seen Signgold go bad, but I want to make sure I don't have to re-letter any trucks in the future. I don't want to waste my time painting around the letters with frogjuice or whatever if its not needed. I would rather just surface gild if it holds up better. I have a signgold test on my roof facing the sun that looks new after 3 or more years, but it's not exposed to abrasion, car washes, etc. Thanks for any input.

------------------
Chuck Peterson Graphics
1860 Playa Riviera Dr.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Calif. 92007

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our signgold gets very little harsh weather, we've never had a problem but maybe we have been lucky.

I lettered my truck five years ago with Arlon vinyl and signgold hearts (as in Bob Loves Signs). The Arlon has totally failed, and we just took it all off the truck. The signgold hearts look like the day they were put on the truck.

In summary, I would not do an edge finish unless it was specifically recommended by signgold, and then only in those applications where they recommended it

------------------
Victor Georgiou
Bob Loves Signs Inc
Danville, CA
email blssigns@verio.com

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that sealing the edge of the Sign Gold is a safety precaution. I just purchased a new product that is a UV clear sealer in pen form for just that purpose. It claims to be clear enough to seal the edge even on glass. It has a felt tip that you use just like a pen to trace around the letter. I haven't used it yet though.

I know this is off the main subject but I thought Arlon was suppose to be a pretty good vinyl. My truck lettering is over 5 years old and still looks like new. I didn't use Arlon and I'm glad I haven't ever used it.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

[This message has been edited by Dave Sherby (edited April 01, 2000).]

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Biggs
Resident

Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Biggs   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do the edges on signgold,
unless it is a boat or firetruck,
they get a lot of harsh treatment
so I use frog Juice on the edges.
I used to use arlon and universal vinyls, both of them did not hold up like 3m now I only use 3m except for avery sparkly silver and gold and dayglo colors. I think Dave Grundy uses avery with good results.
Bill

------------------
Bill & Barbara Biggs
Art's Sign Service, Inc.
Clute, Texas, USA
Home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival
Proud Supporter of the Letterheads Website
MailTo:twobees@tgn.net

Posts: 1020 | From: Lake Jackson,Tx | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As part of the Tech Support Team for SignGold, I have tested many different applications. Technically, no the gold does not have to be edge sealed, I is an extra measure of precaution which ensures the value of the sign for your customer. Most failures of most vinyls are from physical damage which can be minimized by edge sealants. The new edge sealing pens work great for those who are not brush friendly or for quick applications. I still prefer a brush as I find that not only quick but a few ounces from a quart of clear is inexpensive. Any clear acrylic or acrylic-urethane will work well for edge sealing.

------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
Greeley, Colorado, USA
oldgilt@aol.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!