Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Brushes! How long they lastin ya?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brushes! How long they lastin ya?
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about every Saturday I go to my main account and pinstripe quite a few vehicles.
Every Saturday I cuss the brush manufacturers for at least half the time I'm there, the hair continually remove themselves from the ferrel and its getting almost impossible to pull a long line without this happening.
Is it me or do others have this kind of problem?

I clearly prepare a new brush according to the same ritual as I have in the past.
1 - I roll a pencil over the hairs to remove the shipping size.
2 - I set the brush in mineral spirits to soak it.
3 - I then pat it with a towel, then oil it and set the brush hair up in a brush holder so the oil goes into the ferrel.
All this before its used.

Some brushes work ok, some brushes fall apart so quickly I begin to wonder if I'm in the wrong business.
Around 1990 I had the same problem, only with Grumbecker 1010's, I called them up and spoke with someone who asked me to send them the brushes and believe it or not , they replaced a dozen of them. That was then, this is now..

Either I am really becoming senile or the brush manufacturers are!
I really cannot understand why this is happening, how bout you?

------------------
Joey Madden the Pinstriper, Designer and Manufacturer of Killerkoncepts......
http://www.killerkoncepts.com

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not!!! Joey... ya ain't gettin senile...just old and grouchy!
Brushes ain't what they usta be!!!
The best hairs are not available! When the nuclear plant blew up in Chernoble, the cloud of radiation covered the area where most of the sqirrel and sables, that produce brush hairs, happened to live!!!!
Needless to say, the ones that managed to live, looked like a patient on chemo & radiation therapy! I hear that finally they are harvesting some good hair, and soon we will have proper brushes again... probably at the same inflated prices as gasoline

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Gladly supporting this BB !

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey joey,keep tellin ya ta try the R.R. it works. As to you bein senile,well.........
Love ya, Roger

------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
Merlin, OR

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Hulick
Visitor
Member # 1112

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lee Hulick   Author's Homepage   Email Lee Hulick       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey,

According to Mack's web site regarding Brush Care, [quote]Because a water-soluble sizing is used to keep brushes stiff during shipping, they need to be cleaned right out of the package. " A lot of people don't know what to do with sizing, so they throw the brush into a bucket of water and let it soak until the hair floats free, and it starts losing hair when they take it out," Says Glawson. Instead of soaking it, he suggests holding the brush under a stream of water, putting a dab of dish soap in, washing it out, and then drying and oiling it.[/qoute]

It sound like you might unknowingly be doing some harm to your bristles with the pencil. I think that the brisles are very vulnerable to breakage when this size is on them. I wash mine with Dawn dish soap and lose very few hairs. Just a thought.

BTW, your name has been added to the Fellow Pages list.

Lee

------------------
Lee 'Vance' Hulick
New Carlisle, OH (near Dayton)
lhulick@netzero.com
http://vance.cjb.net

Posts: 101 | From: New Carlisle, OH | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 5 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Joey. It seems the quality comes in waves. I usually order quills and swords once a year, them old flats are like the energizer bunny Some batches I get the quills quit almost immediately. I hit one batch of Cosmos stripers that were leavin hairs on almost every pull. The last batch I ordered I haven't even touched the stripers as the previous ones are doing just fine. I tend to get double duty out of mine though. The new ones take a little breaking in, then I can use them with a heavy charge of paint on the big rigs. They work fine like this for quite awhile 50-100 trucks, then they get down to losin some hairs and I can use them on the more delicate stuff for a short while, then they're junk.

------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@ixlmemphis.com

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

http://goatwell.tripod.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey HF,
I've got brushes dating back to when I was doing my apprenticeship (circa 1984)still in good working order.
Maybe the trick is to abuse the bejesus out of them .
David

------------------
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Signwriting
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ron myers
Visitor
Member # 1315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron myers   Email ron myers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know how you feel joey, i had three excalibers that lossed hair DRY much less wet but mack replaced them and the new ones were ok,i,m useing cosmos now that lose alot of hair ,but i,m told thats their nature i don,t know about that as i,m fairly new to cosmos,but i used macks for over 30 years and i never wash out the size with water,i take a new one and clean it with mineral sprits,thats it and some of my #20,s are 15 years old,in the old days we just wet them down with our lip,s [come on how many of you did that too] i,ve aways wondered if there was someway to get glue into the ferrel ,but after i wasted about a dozen i quit wondering

------------------
myersart

Posts: 10 | From: tulsa okla usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!