Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Sign building vs. Sign installation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sign building vs. Sign installation
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wanting to build custom signs , but would like to bypass the installation, as I am getting a little more than average arthritis. The signs are planned to be very different for my area, (hand carved and under 50 square feet) which should help my sitiuation here. This would save me buying a bucket truck, and a lot of unpleasant outdoor etrocities such a high voltage lines, bad weather and unlimited liability issues. I'm sure some of you have subcontracted this work out to others who are willing to do it. Who are these people...other sign companies that need to make their bucket payments. Does anyone just sell the sign to a customer and let them take care of the rest? Or, do you at least lay out the plans for them. I think that spliting the fee into two sections and one paid directly to the sub by the customer certainly lessens my liability issues a lot. I would still like to have a bucket truck, for maybe a duck blind or something. I think they are cool. Bronzeo......

------------------
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
bronzeo@prodigy.net
http://www.imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Mathel
Visitor
Member # 526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Mathel   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Mathel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack,

I know exactly what you mean about the arthritis, since I have the same problem. I've also given up doing any installations.

I tried using other sign companies, but for a lot of reasons, it just didn't work. I finally found a father and son who are licensed contractors that specialize in small jobs. If the customer wants a "turn key" job, I make the sign and they contract directly with the customer to do the installation.

Actually I've found this works a lot better than doing the installations myself. I can spend more time doing what I like... making signs. Although I've certainly done my share over the years, I've never found postholes and wall anchors to be my favorite part of this business. It also saves me a ton of money on my liability insurance.

Jerry Mathel
Jerry Mathel Signs
Grants Pass, Oregon
signs@grantspass.com

------------------

Posts: 916 | From: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell a lot of cash and carry stuff...but if you have a ground sign or two you don't want to mess with, contact a Fence company,they know more about digging holes than anyone I have ever met.Usually fairly priced also... and if they don't want to do it one of their laborers will (they don;t get paid much and are eager for the extra money on the weekends).

"Werks fer me,it'll werk fer you"

------------------
Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.

[This message has been edited by Monte Jumper (edited March 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Monte Jumper (edited March 25, 2000).]

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to elimanate installations also, because of a herniated disk in my back. And I hate installations! But most installs require a permit and most sign shops won't install if thay didn't do the job. So I feel I might lose the job if I didn't do it. How about hiring a helper, you play director or big shot president over seeing the job! The fence co. a good idea on some jobs. The last time I sent helpers (without my guidence) out to do an install some signs, they were not level and not centered etc., so double check their work before you feel confident in anybody else doing your installs.

------------------

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until I can't, I'm gonna do all my own installs. Here in my area, you don't have to get permits for signs, but I'm sure it'll happen before long. If a customer wants to save the money for installation, I explain the best way to do it, and send them on their way. Most do a good job on it, and others do the exact opposite of what I told them. Kills me sometimes. Good looking sign sitting on two warped posts, not painted,screw heads not painted, etc. I guess because of the permit thing, I kinda like doing installations. That way, I know it gets done right, and looks good. Course, I sometimes change my mind when I hit rock at six inches.........

------------------
John Deaton III
Deaton Signs&Grafix
109 N. Cumberland Ave.,Harlan, Ky. 40831 606-573-9101
"If I was any happier, I'd be pukin up smiley faces!"
johnd3rd@kih.net
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/dsigns

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned to offer installation at a separate price on most jobs. Usually customers like to buy the "package deal" and we accomodate. What's important is to charge enough to make it worth doing. I find I can usually install in less time, I don't have to work around someone elses schedule, and I don't worry about whether the job was done right and the sign put in place correctly, not damaged, etc.

------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke (Hunter S. Thompson)

Cam
Finest Kind Signs
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack, Whether you do them yourself or hire another company you could still be liable if something fell down. I had this happen to me. The outfit I hired had ample 'liability' insurance in case of property damage or injury on the job, but when a sign fell down years later - after the fact - I was sued along with everybody in a ten mile radius, even though I could proove I had nothing to do with the installation. What you need to protect yourself is called 'completed operations' coverage.

As my current company gets more into installations I need to look into it again myself. I recall it worked in an odd way; either it had to be in place at the time of the install; or at the time of the claim, but not both. Whichever it was, I had it the opposite for my lawsuit.

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!