Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » A Helpful Hint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Helpful Hint
Robb Prahl
Visitor
Member # 754

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Robb Prahl   Email Robb Prahl       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is how you know if your stay at a job is all said and done.

I currently work two jobs. I work at a sign shop in the morning, then I go to work unloading a trailer at night. Still I find the energy to exceed at both jobs. Doing a lot more than expected of me.

So when an employer tells you that you are doing more than what is expected of you. And then not give you a raise for your efforts. Well then pack your bags.

Here I go again. See you hopefully in the future. Where I don't know, I don't care. As long as I can find a place that rewards efforts. Perhaps there isn't such a place. Maybe I'm in the Twighlight Zone. Cool!?

------------------
Robb Prahl
West St. Paul, MN
robbsigns@hotmail.com

Posts: 17 | From: West St. Paul, MN, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to you Rob. I'm sure I saw an article about you in signcraft. You have alot of talent, and I'm sure you'll come out ahead.

Suelynn

------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, Sk Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robb, Don't let it get you down. Sometimes people just don't get it about the value of a key person. Sometimes they do get it but for any number of reasons cannot pay the money. I have had to let people go in the past that I really regretted. It wasn't their fault, I just had my finances so goofed up that the money wasn't there to keep them on a regular payroll.

Before you burn any bridges, try setting up a subcontract arrangement with them. You can bid on work for a set fee and get paid by invoice. This saves them keeping you busy on a daily basis and they can save the extra insurance and matching withholdings. When they're slow there's no payroll burden. When they're busy, they be paying you a lot more per job, but it will seem to them like you're 'making' them money instead of 'costing' them money. In your off time you can solicit some full-price jobs. Before long you could even be too busy to sub to your old employer.

It's just a shift in viewpoint. Call yourself a sub instead of an employee and you could easily end up with that extra income to reward your assertiveness. If they take you off the payroll then never sub any jobs to you, there was something else going on that they're not telling you. Then you have to decide whether to seek employment elsewhere - or go into direct competition with them as your own sign company.

Could be interesting, eh?

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Joe said!

------------------
Linda Silver Eagle #5653
Silver Eagle Graphix Studio in GA, USA
Big on Murals and Tight on Camera Ready

Proud Supporter of this Site!

"Old Sign Writers never die, they've always got 1-Shot left!"

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there -
Done that.

Don't get me started. I've ben ripped off far worse by employers than by customers. 'nuff said.

------------------
"If it isn't fun, why do it?"
Signmike@aol.com

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robb,

I hear ya loud and clear. However, here's another spin on your situation you may want to consider.

Put together a mini speech for your boss, filled with lots of back up, and present it to your boss, ASKING for a raise. Remind him what he said to you and offer more reasons. Be prepared for a no, not at this time, etc. and be prepared for a professional comeback to reconfirm why your idea is a good one.

Worst case scenario, he'll say no. But what if he says yes?

My employee brought forth a proposal such as this not long ago. After little debating, she got what she requested. I told her I respected her request and thanked her for the heads up.

It's human nature to not pay more than what we already do. Sometimes we as employers need a gentle reminder. And sometimes employers are too busy to look at the extra details of every day.

It may not work for your particular boss, but then it just may.

------------------
Graphic Impact
located in BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!