Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Silicone Failure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silicone Failure?
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Yesterday I trimed a shaped, aluminum faced ply sign with plastic edge trim. I used an interior/exterior white silicone (supposed to be guaranteed for 50 years)

I checked it this morning, and the silicone is still as wet as it was when I put it on. This was an opened tube that has been used before, so I don't know what gives.

Should I give it a couple of days to dry, or should I clean it off and start again with a fresh tube? Anyone ran into this before?

Thanks

Sue

------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, Sk Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErnieBalch
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure it's warm enough and not too dry in the shop.

Silicone RTV needs moisture from the air to react. It makes acetic acid and cures. It should have a slight vinegar smell if it's curing.

ernie

------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Wholesale Routing

http://home.nycap.rr.com/balchsigns/

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have found this happens if the edge seals to tight and keeps the air out just like it was still sealed in the tube could be the problem

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have found this happens if the edge seals to tight and keeps the air out just like it was still sealed in the tube could be the problem

------------------
Ian Wilson

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a product called Lexel. It's similar to silicone but it sticks better. I have never had a problem with a sign coming loose in over ten years. I've removed many signs that appear to have been installed or fastened together with silicone, and although I can't tell what brand they used, it peels right off of some smooth surfaces. I swear by Lexel. I use it for all kinds of stuff. It's paintable, too. It dries/cures about as fast as silicone and also requires some moisture to set, but Ive never had a problem with it not drying, even in dry weather, which we get a lot of here.

------------------
Chuck Peterson Graphics
1860 Playa Riviera Dr.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Calif. 92007

[This message has been edited by Chuck Peterson (edited March 10, 2000).]

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

my son just reminde me of a product called stikaflex that use in body shop repairs for sealing and there is another one of the same brand that actually holds the new cars together instead of welding it appears to be the same stuff that holds the fa18 fighter aircraft together if it can do that it must be good

------------------
Ian Wilson

bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound stupid but I have never had luck with colored silicone. Clear will hold to anything. We used white when we were out and were desperate and your right It for some reason never dried and it would not even hold Gemini letters to dryvit! This was on a warm day also. Could be the problem, do not know!

------------------
if you wanted it tommorow...you should have called last week!

bruce ward
visual images
montgomery, al
visual8@mindspring.com

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do not use any latex or "siliconized latex" silicone for adhesive. (use that to seal the edges of your MDO)
Use only 100% PURE CLEAR silicone. Available at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, most hardware stores...
It "cures" when exposed to the moisture in the air... in dry climates, spray some water on the surfaces after you have your items pinned in place. (Just be sure to remove any traces of factory oils prior to mounting) Here in Georgia, our humitiey is about 90% all the time and i still spray with water.....

------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA
ICQ# 5165335
John@FineWoodSigns.com
>>> inovator extraordinar <<<
www.finewoodsigns.com

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Fisher
Visitor
Member # 107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Fisher   Email David Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sikaflex rules.
Can't speak highly enough of it.
Enjoy,
David

------------------
D.A. & P.M. Fisher Signwriting
Brisbane Australia
da_pmf@yahoo.com

Posts: 1450 | From: Brisbane Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw the headline, I thought this was gonna be a "pamela anderson" joke.

BTW....Lexel it great stuff!!

------------------
:) Design is Everything! :)
Glenn Taylor
in beautiful North Carolina
http://members.tripod.com/taylor_graphics

walldog@bbnp.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!