Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Stacking Copy Vertically

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stacking Copy Vertically
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to look at a potential job today where the customer wanted to have 2 columns lettered. Left column, he wanted "CAR WASH" and the right column he wanted "ENTRANCE".

Thing was, he wanted the copy stacked vertically so that it looked something like this:
C E
A N
R T
R
W A
A N
S C
H E

I don't know about you, but I've never liked the look of stacked copy whenever I've seen it, and I don't think that the message is conveyed effectively. It reminds me of some kind of puzzle, or the eye chart at the doctor's office.
The columns are 2' wide x 12 ' high. I suggested that his sign might be more readable if he was to put it on a horizontal panel between the columns. He didn't want to do this, as the columns were already there, so he wanted the message painted onto them.

Anyone have an alternative solution that might look good???

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

10,000 sperm swimming for that egg...and I won!

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken- I remember seeing in Signcraft a few years ago some car wash signs done exactly as you described, by a fellow named "Big John Brassell", out of Natchez, Mississippi. They must have looked pretty good 'cuz I still remember it. If I'm not mistaken he did convex lettering, probably with 1-shot, on a concrete block column. Think it was in like two shades of blue. Maybe someone here has the issue & can help you more--Carl

------------------
How do I know where I am if we're not lost???

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha! Looks like "Sign Slut" time!
12 x 18 inch letters?? Helvetical Bold??
Charge extra for "pain & suffering"

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
vertical signs look good if they are doen right..like carl said...you need something more the plain block letters.....

------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
6050 mobile hwy
pensacola, fl 32526
850-944-5060

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for your replies. I've suggested to this client that he "edit" the copy so that the left column reads "enter" and the right one reads "here", with two arrors below each pointing inwards.
Somehow, I still don't like the idea of stacking copy, and still think that the negative spaces between the letters looks awkward and "clunky" Try stacking the word "TWIST" and the problem becomes glaringly obvious.
Hey, Old Paint, I like the sample that you sent...the convex effect does help out a lot.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

10,000 sperm swimming for that egg...and I won!

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, check out the pics from the Mazeppa Muster. We did an "ANTIQUES" sign stacked vertically. Looked pretty good. I realize that it was 3D and that helps, but with your talents I know you can pull it off. Good luck.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!