Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Rude and embarassing...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rude and embarassing...
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the years I was pushing a brush, when speaking to a client I was either eye to eye with them or leaning over their shoulder as they look thru porfolios or pictures.

It just dawned on me today I was neither eye to eye nor was I aware of how rude I was being.

Right in the middle of a conversation with a client it dawned on me...I'm sitting and she's standing (for about 30 minutes).

Not only that but for the last 30 minutes I haven't really looked at her...only spoke "at" her.

Anyone else notice they treat customers so appallingly...or am I making something out of nothing?

I need to rethink the positioning of the computer screen and making a comfortable chair or two available.

What do you do?

Has this ever happened to you?

What really concerns me is how long have I been doing it and how much does this indifference put off the customer?

More importantly do they go away feeling as they have been slighted?

One other thing I've notice (now that I look back at it)...the younger, more computer literate people seem less put off by this than older customers.

Whats your take?

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lighten up, Monte!
You are not being rude...just doing your job.
My screen is positioned so that the clients can see over my shoulder.
Most find it fascinating to watch. I am positive that your clients do too. Just explain here & there as you go. It is usually over their heads anyway.
Sincerely- JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really see your point Monte, and as I read what you said I mentally re -arranged things and created a side by side seating arrangement at my own design computer.

Then I agreed with Jill, too. Customers get so carried away and impressed watching the manipulations inside a sign program it does not matter really. I genuinely think if you do your job of wowing them well it will never even occur to them that they had to stand up and be less comfortable.
Even in retrospect.

I also have lots of visuals around the computer, not for them so much, but that's just how I live: photos on the walls, cartoons, sayings....
All they remember is : "Every time I come here it's like you just never know WHAT you're gonna see...."

I do though turn to them and look at them, that's a self interest thing, because if I do that I know how to tailor my presentation better based on what they seem to like.
And, lastly, if you were to say to them, would you like to find a chair for you...... they probably will refuse and you will have done your part.

I really do know what you mean though, and you are quite correct that the young people seemingly are more comfortable at this kind of interaction. I think the older ones might walk away feeling like they have been involved in something exciting new and different. And if you turn to them once and address it like: "Is it wild what can be done or what.....?" you are home free.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After customers get past the front office, they come into the "eyecandy" shop and we have a desk they can sit at with all kinds of candy to munch on. We always have a fresh pot of coffee going for them with REAL coffee cups. We have a bullentin board on the wall right behind where they sit, and encourage them to place their biz card on the board so we can offer their services to others who come in the shop.

It works for us. [Smile]

[ December 20, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running a pinstriping business where most of the customers call first, is simple. I speak with them on the phone, make an appointment at their convenience and at their home. I go there and give them my portfolio to view, get the job and make an appointment for their vehicle to be dropped off at my shop at a future date. I'm always nice but may talk too much. [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a chair on the other side of my desk facing me so they automatically sit. I myself prefer a sit down desk meeting as opposed to a high countertop meeting with both of us standing.

All you need is a chair, Monte. Wise of you to think about that customer standing up for 30 minutes, that is a long time.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought...That would work with both a side by side seating arrangement and a face to face arrangement.

How about 2 monitors. I know that several folks here have a 2 monitor arrangement but have never really looked into exactly how that is done.

Anyone out there that could give me an explanation please?

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to everyones posts I need not be as worried as I was about the situation I described.

I think I was just embarassed at the fact that going in it should have only been a couple of minutes and as I worked on her project she kept changing things ...one thing led to another and before you know it a half hour had slipped by...shame on me for not having made the offer for her to sit...it only occurred to me as she was leaving and I found myself sitting looking up at her.I appologized and she indicated it wasn't a big deal...I got the job ...but still I felt bad about my rudeness.

At least now I am aware of the problem and am less likely to make the same mistake again.

I hope!

Thanks for the replies...glad to know I'm not the only one thinking of this. [Smile]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte...
maybe this lady was a bit rude herself!
I hate when a client takes 2 hours doing this when a half-hour would have been oodles.
Let her stand! I hope she was wearing high heels! HAHA
Sincerely
JILL

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my procedure is a little different because I do not design on the computer with the customer watching. We have a small showroom area with samples and photographs, which has a small round table and two chairs, plus a counter. In talking with the customer we either stand at the counter and I will ask them to have a seat if it seems the conversations is going to take awhile.

The design process takes place in my little corner of the world and then a drawing is either e-mailed or they are given an appointment to come back to approve the design. If changes are needed I will make them and e-mail the revision. Only on rare occassions will I make the change with the customer looking over my shoulder, and then only on very simple jobs.

Sometimes I will sketch out a simple layout with pencil and paper to give the client an idea of the direction I'm thinking about. After we seem to both be on the same page I will do a more detailed design (or sometimes two) for them to look at later.

I'm not trying to be secretive, it's just the way I like to do business. I think it saves a lot of time, because some will never come to a decision if you are making changes while they watch. It's an endless array of moving this and changing the color on that. Especially if the sign is a dimensional one with lots of ding-bats and such.

As Monte says, it works for me.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a soft futon just a few feet from where I do design or sketches, whether I'm using the computer or the drawing table just a few feet directly behind me from the puter... so if they need to sit they can, otherwise they're watching over my shoulder as I rough out ideas... that is, in the rare cases I actually have a local customer.

Dave, dual monitor setups are a snap, just get a video card that supports dual monitors, and it's as easy as setting up the resolution in the driver settings. My laptop (which I use as my workstation) has an SVGA output on the back, so I can use the laptop LCD, or a monitor, or both at the same time. You can set the driver so both screens display the same image, or double the width of the screen resolution so your desktop spans two monitors allowing you to put menus and palettes on one screen and devote the other screen entirely to drawing real estate.

Either way, it helps to have lots of video memory on hand cause running two displays sucks it up.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I don't usually have too many people around while I'm working on the computer, but almost always do when I'm out lettering a truck or race car, or when installing signs. Sometimes a few more bodies than I would like, and that can make things slower when there are more people asking questions and throwing their 2 cents in on ideas.

Over the years I have gotten a reputation for running my mouth a bit...ok, a lot...but never to the point where I felt I was slowing down the work to an unnecessary point. Always with the intention of trying to get things right for the customer and getting to know them a bit better.

Some people look at that as "running up the hours", but they are few and far between. In the end, you're not being rude, just thorough.

My long winded 2 cents... [Smile]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going through my annual years-end ritual of cleaning out my files. In one of my personal files I was just re-reading some new-years resloution type ideas I had written for 2003.

One plan that didn't get fullfilled completely was to make my office & my sales/consultation process a little less comfortable.

I have allowed clients to intrude on my side of the sales counter & watch over my shoulder while I design. (not on logo designs etc. but on banner layouts & other 10 - 20 minute design tasks.

At my sales counter/weeding table I have chairs on both sides. My desk is also facing the door just behind the table, so I look up from the desk or production table to greet a client & will usually move from my desk to the counter to establish that as the place where they should remain. If I retreat to my desk (& computers behind it) they usually stay put at the table, but often walk back into "my" space to see their layout if I offer to draw it up on the spot.

I am generally sociable & not acting rushed, so some time wasted chatting is normal. I usually have music on, & air conditioning so I have seen some people get "too" comfortable & stay too long. I think a service counter with a wall between us & a sliding window to open for discussions might be overkill, but I have seriously considered blocking off a small client area that does not permit entering "my" space, & is somewhat less comfortable to encourage getting our immediate necessary communication completed quicker. Over-all the should result in less time spent with each client.

I'm not sure if the friendlier arrangement I now have is a large part of my success, or if it is a drawback inhibiting further success.

I would add another monitor in that scenario though, because sometimes the co-designing process is the quickest, & when I am willing to allow that, I could still do it without bringing them back into my work area.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Monte, yer just gettin' mellow, sweet an' sensitive in yer ol' age man. . .

. . . an' here I tho't me an' my clients were doin' ok standin' around the fire-pit in the winter time and huggin' the shop fan in the summer, LOL

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray and Doug,

The guy who i was lucky enough to take under his wing and teach me in the 80's, Bob "Cos'"Cosgrove, is famous for not letting anyone watch while he works.

I have heard stories of customers saying they would not leave him alone, and he would pack up and leave. I think for a time it seemed like he was arrogant, but became his rep and people actually looked forward to him throwing them out when he would start their job.

I asked him once about it, he said, "I don't hate or dislike people, but i love to talk, if someone is there, I'll talk all day and take an extra 3-4 hours to get done, I have 5 kids at home, i want to finish when i am happy with the job, and go home."

It's worked for him for 30 years now......

MC

[ December 20, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Mike Clayton Graphics ]

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!