Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Retirement?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Retirement?
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been noticing Bob selling his stuff because of his retirement, and I can understand retiring, but watching him liiquidate his stuff is bumming me out......in my case, the only way I am going to retire is when they have to pry a haggered worn brush from my cold knarled hands-then my kids will have to duke it out over all the tools. books and magazines I have collected through the years.......my dad still works, his philosophy is this, if he plops over dead on the jobsite, he said push him in the mud and trowel him over, he means it too...I love old man talk like that.....

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
then my kids will have to duke it out over all the tools. books and magazines I have collected through the years.....
Rick, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do that to your kids!!!!!!! LOL

If you knew what I had to go through to clean out my dad's shop and house. Like Bob, he had EVERY issue of Sign Craft, 30 years of SOTT, etc, etc. Every pattern he had ever made, rooms full of art/sign books. You people would kill me if you knew the stuff I threw in the dumpster that I rented.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started with the brush and work full time for the school board.The equipment I have will come in handy when I retire from this full time job.Hale to brush work at 65!!! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the thought of all that stuff, that must have been something going through all that, part of the healing process is taking care of that, it can be sad, but also awesome to see his life through his work, what a privelidge......my dad has every tool imaginable, over 60 years, I don't think he threw anything away...but yeah-I am ****ed that you threw that stuff away........ [Wink]

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,
Wait'll you get to your 60s and your health starts heading south, and you get sooooooooo cranky, you can't stand the thought of baby-ing one more customer......at THAT point you may think differently. But don't count me out entirely! My plan is to sell out all what I don't need (operative word....."NEED"), and move into a 5th wheel, do some travellin'(a la Cisco), and a bit of snappin!I won't have any debts, so I can work when I feel like it, and guzzle a few beers when the mood strikes me. It's time to do it MY way! But FIRST.....the house and all the crap in it, has got to go! I'm workin on it!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kimberly made me think about the usual scenario when I walk into my dad's garage to steal, er, borrow something.

I always go in and start snooping around. If he asks what I'm doing, I tell him I'm shopping. If he asks what I'm looking for, I tell him I'll know when I find it.

Once I've gathered up whatever it was I initially came for along with a bunch of other stuff I found, he gives me a hard time. Usually 'Who said you could have that?' 'Where are you going with that?' 'Quit stealing my tools' or he offers to rent it to me at a daily rate approximately twice the cost of it new. [Smile] I turn to him and tell him "You aren't using it anyway and it's all mine when you die." He gives me dirty looks. I think I'll get nervous if this scenario ever changes. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ashes to ashes ...brush to brush!

Retire? I think not...when the brush skills give out I can still "stick" them letters with the best of the new breed, so I think I'm ahead of the game.

I understand the "cranky" thing bob talks about too. Pat and i have talked about cashing it all in and traveling ...I only brought it up once and she started packing suit cases ...seems like she's ready for it sooner than I am.

Our incvestment in the new shop will come in handy as an income when we are ready to retire...I can already rent this place for more than the mortgage...just think what it'll be like in 10 years when it's nearly paid off.

My kids already know they need to make their own fortunes (this one is mine).

I have been considering a will I know too many that left before they wanted to...my dad included.

But for now we'll just "keep on keepin on".Besides I have two dogs and a 18 year old cat...we don't have the heart to get rid of them and they aint traveling with us!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Bob, My dad is 80, still gets on his hand and knees when he has too and works like a dog 7 days a week(cement finisher) yeah he is cranky, not as good as he used to be, and definitly feels the pain, but that ol man still loves his job...even when it goes bad, he still loves it..but most of all he loves teaching other young guys the business...

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
retirement....yea....whn i cant funtion any more....ill get myself without any property, money and unable to work...ill go on WELFARE....or maybe rob a bank, get caught and get "3 hots and a cot," free medical and catch up on my reading........hehehehehehehe

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
Kimberly . . .DITTO'S

Oh yeh, if I ever get to the place I don't HAVE to work and can "retire" . . .I'll be workin' on more stuff than I did when I was "workin", LOL

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Retire? Ya gotta be Kidding!!!

Everyone that I know who has retired is miserable becuase they don't have time to do anything, anymore!

Starnge....when they were working, had lots of time to go hunting, fishing, camping, ballgames, etc.! Now they never get to do anything!

What gives????????????/

[Dunno]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never actually retire..I'm havin too much fun doing what some might consider a job.

BUT Shirl and I already consider ourselves semi-retired. We, at ages 58 & 59, have been walking sandy beaches in the winter for over 10 years and each year the time period doing that gets longer. We figure we may as well do it while we can still walk!!!!

Monte..About the will thing...DO IT!!!! If not for your own peace of mind then for the peace of mind of your heirs. It isn't something you want to think about but it sure makes things easier for everyone that survives you.

We also have drawn up "power of attorny" papers in case either or both of us become incapacitated so that someone of our choice can look after our affairs.

NOW...The only thing left for us to do is actually admit we WILL die some day and pre-arrange/per-pay for our funerals and burials. AFTER we quit spending so much money enjoying ourselves!!!!! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!