Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Need a lesson in 'HOW TO"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a lesson in 'HOW TO"
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a business in my city that has got alot of $$$ and that I have been trying to get in with for a bit now.
Last week they called me to bid on a job. When I got there, they said they needed a double faced 8x16 sign replaced as well as a 40' canopy and to go down the block to their new lot and job check it.
She also gave me the other sign guys quote! Along with everything he plans to do and materials involved. She added that they been dealing with him for years.
When I got to the site, I realized that the Flex faces have already been removed by the other shop (as it was stated on his quote) and the canopy is in his possession too. This size of job could be (or couldn't be) a little out of my league but without anything to job check from besides teh other guys quote..I feel that I can't go any further. Another part of me feels that she is feeling out the other guy and that his price may seem too high so she is "USING ME" to verify his price.
IN A PROFESSIONAL WAY, how would you write up a letter stating 'THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY BUT......? [Confused]

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Barba
Visitor
Member # 431

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Steve Barba   Email Steve Barba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underbid the hell outta the job- and then tell her you are too busy to do it. That will keep her guessing.

"proffesional"? Thats a laugh. It seems that everyone does not play by the same rules.

I would just be honest with her about your suspitions. I mean, why would she need a quote from you, if the other shop already has the pieces? What, are you going to bid lower, and then walk into the other shop and get the stuff? I would call her little game, no hesitations.

--------------------
"B0LT" on the chat room thing.

steven.barba@yellowjackets.bhsu.edu
605-720-7669

Posts: 768 | From: Sturgis South Dakota | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 4 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're just setting yourself up to play free yo-yo. If the other sign co has the canopy and took down the faces they have the job. Nobody pulls down two 8x16 faces for free and a 40' canopy. Just tell her Merry Christmas and have a great year.

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought is RUN!

Actually Corey, there could be reasons for things to be in the state they are (like maybe the other sign co is incredibly backed up and cannot perform, or they pulled it by accident before getting the final approval). I would definitely ask the client for an explanation and have a frank discussion about not wanting to get in the middle of a dispute between them and their vendor. You might find the other sign co would welcome you taking them off their hands.

--------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
e-mail: joe@capecraft.com

SONGPAINTER Original Sign Music by Sign People NOW AVAILABLE on CD and the proceeds go to Letterville's favorite charity!
Click Here for Sound Clips!

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Advice as per usual here.
Truth be told, I am friggin busy right now with many 1000$ jobs and not really willing to take on a 10,000$ job especially with my mentioned variables (other shop has faces etc.). I am just really pleased and surprised that I got a call from this particular business (did I mention they have $$$). Just because they have a job in the making right now and it is something I have done for previous employers before and the money is there doesn't mean it'll be gravy. One of my last employers taught me what alot of us sign guys never learn...the ability to say NO to a potential client. Although this job is not appealing to me with it's variables and the time frame is not there to pull such a job off with my company, I want to assure her that I am the local guy (the other guy isn't) and every business also has to purchase the smaller signage sooner or later as well (and more often) than the bigger signage.
Basically, I want to leave the door open for future work and not burn a bridge with a "staple business" in our community. Just not sure how to approach her without her feeling let down.

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Just not sure how to approach her without her feeling let down."

Get real!

purchasing Agents have ethics two steps below Ambulance Chasing lawyers!

She's using you to bludgeon the other shop...and if you ever get a job from her, expect the same!

Just tell her that it looks like the other shop has already started, and next time she should call you sooner!

Heed your previous emplyers advice...learn to say NO!

Just my humble opinion! [Smile]

[ December 18, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thought would be to call the client and be extremely honest and friendly. Tell them you would really like to do work for them in the future but you feel this job is already taken, as evidence of the missing faces and awnings. "If there is a problem with the other sign company and they can not get to the work in a timely manner, or don't want to do the work, they wouldn't have taken it to their shop, right, Mrs. Smith?" This sets yourself up for a good relationship with her but also shows her that you are ethical and don't want to hurt your fellow sign shop. It also leave the door open for HER to approach the other sign shop and see if, indeed, they DO want to do her work. Maybe they ARE looking for an opportunity to get out of it, but that should come from her, not you, I think.
Put the ball back in court and see how she handles it. It also tells her you don't want to get in the middle of this situation and gets you out of the bidding war, if that's what it is.
Just my thoughts...

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, she is using you. (Red flags) This client may have some bucks, but they are probably corrupt.

Why not call or better drop by the other shop and discuss this great "client". There is something fishy going on, and your sign "brother" may have some tidbits of info you may NEED to learn about this "good /moneyed" client. And you may even make a new sign friend along the way. Be ethical first.

If you must bid. I'd say go WAY-WAY over the other shops bid. (But only after you talk to them about it).

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corey,

Although the customer has money, I think I can see why they do...playing both side of the fence can do that for a business in a case like this.

With all the grey area in the details on this job, I'd remember that the $1000 jobs are in hand. Maybe you don't really need this new customer at all.

If you still want to quote it, just go with the other guy's quote, less the removal of the Flex and canopy since it's already gone. That puts the customer right back to square one, and might intice them to be a little more honest and truthful.

Give them a "6 of one, half dozen of the other" deal".
If they don't bite, keep casting...there's plenty of other fish in the sea.

Just a thought...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Leyden
Visitor
Member # 2437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Leyden   Email Jack Leyden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Corey-

Congratulations! You've been marketing to them for awhile, and now they've invited you to bid on a project. Sounds to me as if they genuinely would like to give you the opportunity to do some of their sign work.

I think that you're uneasy for two reasons: 1)the specifications are too vague; and 2) sharing the competitor's quote with you feels a little unethical.

Probably the two things are connected. Rather than spending a great deal of her company's time writing a RFP especially for you, she assumed that you could figure out the specifications from the other guy's quote. She's wrong, of course. Maybe get an appointment with her, ask her to clarify the items that are vague to you, and perhaps tactfully dissuade her from sharing competitive quotes in the future.

If this job is more than you want to take on right now, there's nothing wrong with telling her that. She might take that answer as an incentive to invite you into the bidding process at an earlier date next time.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Jack Leyden
Jack's Signage
1330 "H" East St. Andrew Place
Santa Ana,CA 92705

Posts: 22 | From: Santa Ana,CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Corey.
I really don't see whay you want to kiss this lady's butt for future signs. She will more than likely do the same thing to you that she is doing to the company that has her faces & awning.
Money ain't everything, honey, and in my experience it is the big $$ clients who will try to screw you out of yours every time.
Not that you have to be rude to her, that is never good to do. I would simply say something like, "Mrs. WarBucks, when stopping by to take measurements to do your proposal, I noticed that the faces and awning are missing. I assume that they are with the shop whose bid you showed me. I do not understand why you need me to give you an estimate for work that is already in progress by a fellow sign company. Pehaps you can clarify this for me?"
And then watch her backpeddle. I would never want to work for this woman no matter how much $$ she has.
Good luck.
Love- JILL [Wink]

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple, take the other guy's quote, add about $1000 to it, then tell the client you don't see how in the world the other guy can do this type of job that cheap! You can keep your ethics, the other shop won't get screwed and the customer thinks they are getting a bargain! If you charge for the estimate, everybody wins! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1735 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair warning here...If you give her any kind of bid low or high you'll be making a mistake and it will come back to bite you.

Sssimply tell her since another shop has already begun you don't wish to get involved at this level. Thank her for calling you and make her aware you're interested in doing work for her in the future...if there is no "future" she's told you all you want to know.

Better that way than undercutting the other guy and by some turn of events you get the job then have to wrestle it free from the competition...(losing proposition at best)or worse yet bid it high and run her off for good.

The onlly way you can win this is stay on good terms with everyone involved...and save your self the stress and embarassment.

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice! Monty, you nailed it!
I was expecting to see her this morning at 9am however, leaving the supermarket yesterday after buying film for an install, I ran into her going in to the store. She jokingly asked if I had her quote and that's when I said almost the same exact thing that Monty had said.
"Actually, I planned to let you know that I was going to surrender the job do to time frame as I am busy as hell and the fact that the other sign co. has already made off with the faces deeming it very hard for me to quote the job." She mentioned that the owner is bigtime ****ed at the other co. for assuming it was their job. I thanks her for the opportunity and mentioned I had hoped that I could be included in future projects and wished her a Happy Holiday Season. She thanked me and said that she sees me everywhere (well, my bitchen truck) and that she sees me when we both pick our kids up from school and we left each other happy and friendly.

Once again, thank you Letter/vinylheads for the advice.

Signed,
Still earning the game! [Wink]

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!