Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Dual booting Xp & 98se query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual booting Xp & 98se query
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a system already formatted in NTFS, and a hard drive partitioned into 3 drives (c,d,e), and XP Home already on it,
is it possible to set it up to dual-boot into Win98se with fat 32, or do we have to start from scratch and reset everything/all partitions to fat 32 and begin loading XP from scratch?

(I'm still having problems with XP deciding that some directories are write-protected or read-only, and in spite of me resetting their properties to share & be available for editing, they instantly reset themselves and prohibit saving or creating of new files. Microsoft has offered no workable solution. I figured I'd put the offending programs on a Win98se boot if possible, weithout scrapping the current installation, hopefully. )

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are not fully familiar with dual booting in FAT 32 and NTFS. Let me recommend that you get a dual boot manager. This will help you set up your dual boot system until you get more familiar with this. There are several great managers around

I've used Hyper OS 2002 ver 6 to set up machines to triple boot... but this is expensive

You may need to use FAT 16
Microsoft dual-booting NT and DOS requires the bootable partition (C:) be formatted as FAT16. The option to boot into DOS is automatically added if the NT (XP) installation program finds a DOS boot sector in place on C:. If C: is formatted as NTFS, it won't find one. DOS cannot be installed on an NTFS partition.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Curtis. So with a dual boot manager, the existing NTFS system can stay as it is? I want to install w98se onto the XPhome laptop.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the boot manager will allow you to format the new partition to FAT32 you will be fine.. I dotn know the latest in boot managers because i dotn do much work like that any more..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!