Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » We did it already!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We did it already!
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are full blast into another cool project... this time an Adventure Golf with a nautical, seaside theme.

The shiney new shop is a pleasure to work in. I haven't had this much fun in ages!

Currently I am welding up the armatures for the sculptures, with the crew putting on the diamond lath before we add concrete and paint - all in the comfort of the new shop.

One of the bigger pieces was ready for mud this morning... but looked heavy, even without the concrete on it. The crane and lift beam are inside the shop, so I decided it was a good idea to put the piece on the trailer BEFORE we mudded it.

Everything worked like a charm... I even put the piece on the trailer solo without breaking into a sweat.

I unhooked the truck and as I closed the doors we stood back to admire the fine work we accomplished thus far... [Smile]

And then I noticed that the piece looked awfully tall sitting on the trailer... maybe even a little too tall.

We first measured the height of the door opening and then the height of the scultpure... YUP four inches too tall. [Smile]

We went ahead and started adding the concrete anyway as the piece is way too heavy to consider any other alternative unless I want to hire a crane to lift it onto the trailer after we take it out of the shop. With the driveway not yet paved this would be difficult once we cleared the short apron just outside the garage doors. And I don't want to incur the cost of a crane until we get to the customer's site in any case.

While we mudded I pondered some creative solutions to our dilema. I've come up with three scenerios so far...

One we lower things by letting the air out of the tires on the trailer until the piece clears the door. Might just work.

Or the second idea is to move the piece to the front of the trailer and then lower the hitch with my rolling jack and drag the trailer out of the shop.

Third... it just might take both ideas together to get the piece low enough to clear the door frame.

I have no doubt that we will get the piece out of the shop... intact and totally finished.

Tomorrow I have to take some pics for the customer's progress report... and I'll post some here too. [Smile]

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveDefibaugh
Visitor
Member # 2245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveDefibaugh   Email SteveDefibaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do what I did when I spent a winter buildig an old 1949 Harley Trike in my kitchen.
CHAINSAW !!!

--------------------
Steve Defibaugh
Decal Magic
Edinburg,Virginia

Posts: 79 | From: edinburg.virginia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you need there Dan is a flip top roof and a #4 skyhook ;p [Smile]

good luck with it...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today I took another look at the piece... and the doorway. Almost everyone agrees that the door is the right size, and the piece maybe a little too tall.

-

The picture makes it look even taller than it really is. The work is coming along nicely and I'm still pretty sure we can get it out in one piece. [Smile]

Hopefully I will never build another shop but if I did the shop would open up like the new GMC SUV's with the retractible roof and opening doors. It would be the way to go without a doubt.

-dan

[ December 17, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!