Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » eps files

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eps files
Jean Shimp
Resident

Member # 198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jean Shimp   Author's Homepage   Email Jean Shimp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a customer's logo in an .eps extension that is vectorized. The problem is that looking at it in Corel wireframe view, each letter has several outlines. Each outline seems to be made up of hundreds of boxes sitting adjacent to each other. I can weld some of these boxes together but I still have lots of excess lines in corners of letters that I can't seem to get rid of. Part of the logo contains a picture of a wave that seems to be made up of a thousand pieces. Any suggestions on how to simplify this artwork so I can cut it out of vinyl? Thanks!

--------------------
Jean Shimp
Shimp Sign & Design Co.
Jacksonville Beach, Fl

Posts: 1266 | From: Jacksonville Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've seen vectors of contours with gradient blends that end up looking like that. If you can select by color, you may find that one particular shade in a gradient would correspond to the correct part of each letter. If you select one contour on one letter that looks like the best shape of the original letter (not an outline or an inline)& select"same color" (illustrator has this feature anyway), maybe you will isolate a good set of contours that could be grouped & then locked while deleting the rest of the unwanted stuff.

The wave sounds like some files I've got from some clipart collections & can often be welded into one contour, of if adjacent, but not overlapping enough to weld, an extremely thin (a tenth of a point) outline on everything, then a weld may fix it.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Burns
Visitor
Member # 268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Burns   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's already vectorized, that means the colors are solid. The way I deal with this problem is to convert it to a bitmap, then vectorizre it again with your own software. It works for ME!

--------------------
Bob Burns

www.vondutch.freeservers.com

Posts: 2121 | From: Prescott, Arizona, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since it's already vectorized, that means the colors are solid
wake up Bob... even Casmate can apply gradient fills to vector contours along with Corel, Illustrator, Inspire etc. etc....

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fred Weiss
Visitor
Member # 3662

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Fred Weiss   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Weiss       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bob. At least if you need to cut it in vinyl, then you must simplify it. The quickest and often the best way to do that is to rasterize it, posterize it and retrace it.

--------------------
Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
4620 Lake Worth Road
Lake Worth, FL 33463
561 649-6300
allcompu@allcompu.com

Posts: 427 | From: Lake Worth, Florida | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen gradient blends in wireframe mode and as you describe, that would seem to be the case. Can't you just select the object and give it a solid color and eliminate the blend? Maybe try to save the eps as a cdr and then see if the blend can be removed.

(edited in)
Re-read your post. You say each outline is made of hundreds of boxes. Ignore my response as I have no clue.

[ December 16, 2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sometimes happens when the original artwork has outlines applied to the letters. Exporting as .eps will convert those outlines into hundreds of boxes.

If it is possible, have the originator of the artwork select everything, turn off all the outlines and re export as .eps.

You may also be able to marquee select a number of them at a time without selecting the part of the graphic you wish to keep, and then deleting the selected pieces.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Churchill
Resident

Member # 68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Churchill   Email Chuck Churchill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Select all X000 objects and turn them all black. Print it out like that. Take the print scan it back in then vectorize it. Takes less than 10 minutes start to finish.

--------------------
Chuck Churchill,
It's A Good Sign Inc.
3245 Harvester Rd, U-12
Burlington, Ont.
Phone: 905-681-8775
Fax: 905-681-8945

Posts: 633 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!