Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Advice/opinions needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice/opinions needed
Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Murray   Email Mike Murray       Edit/Delete Post 
This may get long, so please bear with me. I have what used to be a good customer. I have done signs, trucks, job trailers, and window lettering for them. Last winter they call and want a price on an illuminated sign to go on their building. I promptly got them a price and was told they would do something in the spring, no problem. Well one spring day I see a nice new sign on the building. I wouldn't feel so bad, but the sign company didn't even do the logo right. My wife even noticed that from about 75 yards away and mentioned it before I could. I also do work for one of partners brothers, and while doing some work for him shortly after that he told me he thought they got a pretty good deal on the sign, not knowing I even quoted it. That was fine until he told me what they paid, it actually ended up being $800 more than what I quoted them. Now, I get a phone call yesterday that they need a copy of their logo for some print advertising. It's not a logo that I created, but I did spend a few hours re-creating it (which I didn't charge for) for the work I had done for them. Do I give it to them or not? My feeling right now is, no. Opinions?

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Posts: 192 | From: Freeport IL USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Mike,
The easiest way to handle the situation is to charge the client an archive fee for his artwork. We ususally charge $25-50 per disk to burn the information to a cd rom. It normally includes a few different file types that the client can use.
This assumes that the client already paid for your time to create the art to begin with.
Another brainstorm that just hit me - if there's space available on the disk, include your company information on the disk too. It could be a simple web page or a pdf document that has a few samples of your work and a way to contact you.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would say...in order for me to get you a certain type of file it's going to take some time..because i work in a sign program...if you would like i will provide you with a cd with various file formats (ai, eps, bmp, jpg, pdf, gif)for a fee of $$(you fill in)

i am going thru something similar right with a new customer...he designed this logo in some hokey program that can't export anything vector...so i have spent over 2 hours recreating it. i'm making 3-4 signs for them....however if they ask me to provide them with artwork that is vectorized i will say that i will provide them with a cd with every file format i can think of for $150.00...or the next guy can fart around with it and they take the chance of someone else not making it exact...i was hired to make signs, if they want artwork that's going to make their life easier they must pay!....or get real program.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Grozinger
Visitor
Member # 327

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Myra Grozinger   Email Myra Grozinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really dislike it when a customer has so little loyalty.

One option of course is to let them have the logo along with a bill for the corrections and adaptations, saying you would not have charged for them if you had remained their sign supplier.

The second is to tell them about the unbilled corrections and let them have the logo along with expressing the hope that they remember the good service you have given them in the past, and that you remain available to do their work in the future.
I would it in some sort of form of writing, could be a regular bill stating the value and a No Charge notation.

Some things are just a Bummer, and that is all I see that you could reasonably do and get your point across.

--------------------
Myra A. Grozinger
Signs Limited
Winston-Salem, NC

signslimited@triad.rr.com

Posts: 1244 | From: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that WAS kind'a weird that such a reg. customer would dog-you-out like that an' kick theirself in the butt at the same time!!

I betch'a there was some kind'a "backed into a corner" thing goin' on by a couzin or somethin',lol.
Mabey the sales person was extremely georgeous and an' affair ensued, lol, or mabey a black-mail situation is involved here.
Mabey the person tol' you a lie about the real cost of the sign . . . .GASP!!!
Be objective man, these things happen, lol

In all actuality, if they are as good of a customer as you say, you should be able to communicate openly. Of course, they've shown that they will disregard that act, but that does'nt mean you have to.
I'd go to them and say look this is the original logo that we've been using and I will now have a charge for the change. Also, I'd mention the electric sign and ask things like how do you like your new sign, are you satisfied with that purchase, That you noticed the logo change and was that at their direction or a mistake, etc., to generate openness on yer part and re-establish a better communication so something like this would'nt happen again.

HEY! I'm slap full of advice & opinions, huh!!
That'll teach ya to title a post that way!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Try to take the emotion away from this transaction and how would handle this to another good customer?

Take that decision and add to it the intention of confronting the customer as to why you did not get that last job. If you have the following you detail here then it is right in my opinion to ask.

You either have to resolve this in your mind or write them off as a good customer.

Personally I would tell them to get it from the other sign maker seeign as he did such a sucky job to begin with.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I think the real key here is how to handle the immediate request by the customer.

Regardless of how you may feel personally, or what kind of history you have with them, the company who made the illuminated sign may have limitations in their production capabilities that kept the design from being accurately reproduced on the sign.
I'll take a wild stab in the dark, but that's probably why they have called you back in to do the print artwork...for the accuracy and consistancy of the image they want to convey.

Should that be the case, bill them accordingly for your time.

Then again, whadda I know?
Rapid

[ December 16, 2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you tell them that you woulda done the lighted sign for less money and how the got taken? that would 1st thing i did as i give them them ther logo in a jpg at 72 dpi.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Leyden
Visitor
Member # 2437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Leyden   Email Jack Leyden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike -

You still have a good client. Try to move past your natural feeling of being shanked.

To deal with the immediate request - why not give them the 300 dpi jpg that they need for printing. That'll satisfy their request. Snicker up your sleeve as you're handing it to them if you like, knowing it won't help your competition at all.

As for losing the electric sign job - you got out-sold. Somebody who does inferior work at a higher price gave a better sales pitch. When your client asked you for a "price quote", you gave them exactly what they asked for. However, when they asked an electric sign sales person for a "price quote", they got a full blown sales presentation. And probably with a different group of people in your client's organization than you normally deal with.

Before being too harsh (and resentful) on your client, remember that alot of business people consider electric signage - with all the permits, licenses, UL listings, cranes, etc. - to be an area where most of us "sign shops" aren't qualified; where we don't want to and aren't able to compete.

Otherwise, good clients are hard to come by and need regular servicing. Hope you're able to maintain your good relationship with this one.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Jack Leyden
Jack's Signage
1330 "H" East St. Andrew Place
Santa Ana,CA 92705

Posts: 22 | From: Santa Ana,CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Good point about the nature of the electric sign biz. I tend seldom to get involved with electrical signage for many of the same reasons you listed and, as a result, it's very infrequent that someone inquires about them.

Great first post and welcome to Letterville.
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post 
(1)Customers are NOT loyal
(2)It is JUST business
(3)Don't take it PERSONAL
(4)Treat them BETTER than they treat you

Hope this helps [Wink]

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I have had customers"migrate" to another shop! The PITA ones don't usually come back, and it doesn't bother me!

The good customers come back, because they see that a lower price is not better, and a "low ball" quote always cost them more in the end. They wind up as very loyal customers. I have customers that have been calling me for 34 years (their sons, cause Dad has retired).

Get over the hurt feelings, it's only business, and not personal!

Just my humble opinion!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
did you tell them that you woulda done the lighted sign for less money and how the(y) got taken?
quote:
The good customers come back, because they see that a lower price is not better, and a "low ball" quote always cost them more in the end.
BWAhahahahaa ...
Glad to know every price I give I'm a lowballing scab and an overpriced crook at the same time.

I agree with Checkers but would charge more ... or less ... depends on if I'm in a scab or crook mood.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how else you handle it, DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM. The quickest way to loose a customer is
to give him your work. They will feel that if they come again that you are going to make up for
the freeby by charging extra on any subsequent work. "Been there, done that"

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Roy, or worse yet, they'll come back wantin' more freebies or cuts and feel victimized if you won't "act right"....

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Murray   Email Mike Murray       Edit/Delete Post 
I found out from them that the company that did the electric sign quoted one price but had all these "extras" on the bill after it was installed. They were not happy to say the least. Guess I got out sold, but that's not how I like to sell my signs. So, I got a good laugh out of that and ended up sending the file to them, along with a bill for my time to do it. No questions, no complaints from their end. All is well.......for now. Thanks to everyone for your input.

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Posts: 192 | From: Freeport IL USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see things worked out alright. I wouldn't be surprised if they were very loyal to you now because they were burned by that other shop.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of shops that tack on add services as part of the way they do business, when a bid goes out, it's always best to incluude specs and a very good drawing showing detail, that way they have to bid it as drawn and be closer to what everyone else might bid.

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!