Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » powder-coating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: powder-coating
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The othe rdai I was applying sone high performance vinyl to some equipment panels that had been powder-coated. I cleanes them as normal (alcohol w/clean rag, twice) and I had an awful time with adhesion. Paper transfer tape kept wanting toull lettering back up. Tried to spray water on tape and waited to soften with little or no results. I squeeged till my fingers were sore. Have no way of knowing how long graphics will stay on. Was informed by plant engineer that powder-coat has an intergal wax in it. Was told that this finish is cured with heat at around 180-220 degrees. Anyone else experienced this? Curt Stenz

------------------

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
powdercoating is cured at very high temperature but needs to be left a few days to finish out gassing before use my powdercoater leaves my jobs in the sun for a couple of days for me before letting me know they are ready always use premium grade vinyl and if the surface is cold warm up with heat gun just warm not hot and you shouldn"t have trouble I have powder coated sign that have been up in the weather for 7 years no problems

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've experienced this. Vinyl does not adhere well to at least some, maybe all powder coated surfaces. Unfortunately I don't have a solution. The above post got there after I started typing, but appeared before I was done. Looks like a better answer.

------------------
Chuck Peterson Graphics
1860 Playa Riviera Dr.
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Calif. 92007

[This message has been edited by Chuck Peterson (edited March 02, 2000).]

Posts: 1050 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've applied vinyl to powder coated paint without any problems. It must have been well aged.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've screen printed on pretty fresh powder coated steel with enamel. We were told to wipe with Naptha Solvent first. The signs have been out in the field for 4 years now and still look great.
Cheers,

------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdogwww.commercialsigns.com
Edmonton, Alberta

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there!

I have experienced the same problems using cast vinyl on powder coated surfaces....we don't have the benefits of sunshine on tap here...but I find help with a heat gun to activate the vinyl and a light tac application tape does the trick.

------------------
Henry Barker #1924
akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm, Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm
www.signcraft.se
info@signcraft.se

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!