Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Adding dimension w/colors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adding dimension w/colors
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finished a sign with blue background and yellow vinyl lettering. When I originally designed the sign, I had planned to use a brown/gold vinyl as a contour shadow for the letters and an oval under a decoration and a double border stripe. I cut a "&" in yellow and the contour and, knew I didn't want the look. I quickly fell back to a metallic silver for the oval and shadow and opted a single yellow border stripe. I hung the sign but still thought it lacked readability from a distance. The contour was wide enough so, I outlined the yellow w/ a Deka blue that matched the background. This solved my readability and also added some additional dimension.
Can anyone suggest some other techniques to add dimension to flat work by utilizing color? Shadows and outlines combine with color variations are what I am trying to work with at this time. Thanks

------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Youngsville LA.

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 12 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, heres one, and a real easy one to get something to pop off the surface. A simple shadow. If the image doesn't load, right click then click view image. If painting use a pattern. Pounce the pattern then shift the pattern over and down and repounce. I usually take and clean off the intersecting lines with a cloth. Paint the shadow up close to the letter, paint the letter then paint the outline, no waiting. The same thing can be accomplished with vinyl, I would recommend some sort of "cookie cutter" on the shadow.
The key to the success here is proper choice of the shadow color. You want it to look like an actual shadow. Something just a little darker than the background. Hold your hand over the surface and see what color shadow your hand casts. Try to match that. Some of that trucast vinyl would be good here.

------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@ixlmemphis.com

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

http://goatwell.tripod.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks George,
The example illustrates a lot of what I was asking for.

------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Youngsville LA.

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louis A Lazarus
Visitor
Member # 763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louis A Lazarus   Email Louis A Lazarus       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try adding some dimension within the letters themselves using either a beveled or prism letter or a forward extrusion (i-beam). You could also add a second outline or contour of white. Did you submit a color print to your client for approval? If he approved it and HE isn't complaining...he just might like it the way it is....and isn't that the goal in the first place?

------------------
fontking1a@aol.com

Posts: 560 | From: El Granada, CA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jerry jaran
Visitor
Member # 524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jerry jaran   Email jerry jaran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I just came across 3D vinyl software for $210 at Procut-plus.com. Very interesting!
Imagine making patterns of 3D perspectives
and pouncing them for painting too!

------------------
Jerry Jaran
Moab Sign Design
Moab, Utah

Posts: 133 | From: moab,utah,u.s.a. | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!