Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Differences between brands of vinyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Differences between brands of vinyl?
Laurie Pfaff
Visitor
Member # 1349

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Laurie Pfaff   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Pfaff       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to get opinions on differences between brands of vinyls. The two I am looking at are both 2 mil high performance films. One is made by Oracal, the other by Arlon. Only differences I can see so far are the price. The Arlon is $40 a roll more expensive for a 20" x 50 yard roll. Thanks!!

------------------
paintchick
Laurie Pfaff
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
www.paintchick.com

Posts: 10 | From: Pittsburgh, PA 15229 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share my driveway with a neighbor whos son tends to drive too fast around a blind corner, some close calls prompted me to put a sign up. I didn't want to be "overbearing" so the sign is red octagon, (like a stop sign) but says "make your own decision" !!
You have the products in front of you,maybe theres a reason for the 40.00 difference ?
Roger

------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
Merlin, OR

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie, great work girl!
Checked out your site.
Loved the wildlife portraits.

I have used only 3 types of vinyl in my experience in this trade, and have been pleased with them.
Arlon is the one most available to me, and so I use it most. But I like Sparcal and Gerber as well.
I don't have any experience with Oracal.

Keep up the great stuff!
Nettie

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehehehe a fellow pissburgher....hahahahi lived 36 miles south of there, out past tonidale, BURGETTSTOWN, area....got out in 81, went to fla. i use sparcal(which was bought by arlon recently)i use the promo plus mostly and its real good, oracalis strange stuff to me....the calendared is like heavy plastic..and it eats blades...i use AMERIBAN HI-PER...and its great stuff and great price....
old paint
joe

------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
6050 mobile hwy
pensacola, fl 32526
850-944-5060

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Sparcal was bought out by Avery.

------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Sign Studio
in Sunny Florida
jbalogh@earthlink.net
Current Pet Profile - Please send us yours!
http://www.markfair.com/nettie

Start packing and move in! It's just too easy to be a Resident!
Location, Location, Location! It's all right here!
http://www.letterhead.com/supporters

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie, I have had the same experience as Nettie and use those three brands as well, primarily Arlon. I have used their films for over seven years with good results.

Being in Pittsburgh, I would recommend Pioneer Supply, but I'm sure you already know that.

------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

farhasigns@citynet.net

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post 
I strictly use Arlon for High Performance, although Sparcal is an excellent product. I've tried a sample of Oracal, but found it does not conform (stretch around rivets, etc.) as well. Arlon and Sparcal both have a great range of colors, too. I suggest you do a sample job with both. Is that an extra $40.00 per 50yds.? The savings is only .80 a yard.... I can make $140.00 sale with a yard of HP vinyl.

------------------
Tim Whitcher
Quality Signs & Design
107 E Adrian St
Blissfield, MI 49228
qualitysigns@hotmail.com

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same subject, different brands.

I haven't tried any of the brands listed in this thread. Am I missing out on a great vinyl?

I started with Gregory and 3M. I have never had a failure or performance problem with either one. My first vinyl sign on MDO was Gregory vinyl installed 8+ years ago. Red and white vinyl facing west and they still look like they did the day I put them up. Does anyone have anything bad to say about either one? I'd like to know if there is something better out there.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cook
Visitor
Member # 1214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cook   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurie,
I have used both. Depending on what your doing, I would recommend the arlon. Oracal
doesn't conform as good or weed as easy.
Arlon is alot easier to work with all around.

------------------
Robert Cook
Signs of the Time
977 5th. Ave.
New Kensington, PA. 15068
(724) 335-3133

$$$Proud Supporter!$$$

Posts: 61 | From: New Kensington, PA. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just started using oracal...and I love the stuff. I think I would save the cash, and go with the new product. NOW< I bet they'd send you a sample of each, if you asked....test them for yourself.

------------------
Master's Touch Signs & Screenprinting
Clinton AR
ICQ 17430008
Signs of Excellence!!!

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Wilson
Visitor
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Wilson   Email Ian Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Arlon and Avery and find them better than any others I have tried and they have a great range of colours I like them better than 3m Oracle is to thick

------------------
Ian Wilson
Signmaker Toowoomba City Council
Cnr Anzac Ave & Stephen st
Toowoomba Queensland Australia
may all your toubles be little ones
The man that never make a mistake never makes anything

Posts: 656 | From: Toowoomba Queensland Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie Pfaff
Visitor
Member # 1349

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Laurie Pfaff   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Pfaff       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for responding. I am going to try both to see which I like better. The Oracal seems to be stiffer for some reason. I have a feeling I will like the Arlon better (of course, isn't that the way it always is? If it's more expensive we prefer it!) I will be installing over rivets on this one, so we'll just see which conforms better for me.

------------------
paintchick
Laurie Pfaff
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
www.paintchick.com

Posts: 10 | From: Pittsburgh, PA 15229 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is the Arlon good stuff, available, and the reps are always at alot of the letterhead gatherings to find out what we like and want, but if I buy enough of the stuff from my supplier then Arlon sends them on a cruise!

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using nothing but Arlon since I started my shop. Unfortunately, when you try out different things, in our biz it takes several years sometimes to see the difference. That's why it's go great to have all these folks here to be the guinea pigs ahead of time for us!!

Once I got some Gerber instead of Arlon. I found it to be kinda flimsy and too stretchy, and the white just didn't have the same coverage, opacity, whatever you call it.

One tip I did learn... if you are applying bright red vinyl, and use a blue stabilo to mark where it goes, mark it ABOVE the vinyl, so that when the vinyl is applied, the marks are NOT covered... they show thru the red for some reason!!

Geez, reds can be such a pain sometimes...

------------------
Dana Aaron
Sign-A-Saurus
Nevis, MN
(218)652-3839
ICQ# 37949659

Thought for the day: The more you cry, the less you have to pee.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 14 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered, and received,some rolls of Sign Warehouse's Endura Gloss vinyl. It's a five year vinyl, and has gloss as good as any premium. I used some today, and it weeds better than some premiums I have used. It's a little more price wise than the vinyl I had been using, but the weeding qualities alone have sold me.

------------------
John Deaton III
Deaton Signs&Grafix
400 May St. Harlan, Ky. 40831 606-573-9101
"Grab an ol'cold tater and wait"
johnd3rd@kih.net
http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/dsigns

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I hope you're not using this for your long term signage. I need to get at least 7 years out of my long term signs. Five years can come pretty quick, and come back and bite you in the A$$!

------------------
Tim Whitcher
Quality Signs & Design
107 E Adrian St
Blissfield, MI 49228
qualitysigns@hotmail.com

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my experience for anyone that is interested...

Arlon

Pros - 2mil great stuff, easy to work with, this is my choice for 3mil if I use it at all, have had failure with the reflectives.

Cons - the silver metallic is less glittery than others on the market, low choice of metallics

Sparcal

Pros - Great to work with, no failures, excellent choice of metallics, some translucent type colors come with a white adhesive so they're more opaque, such as yellow, the gold/gold 1 mil foil is excellent for outdoors, pretty good chrome.

Cons - the texture of the 3mil is abit brittle to work with.

Avery

Pros - very aggressive glue, excellent for vehicle applications, comes with non perforated rolls

Cons - aggressive glue bad for temporary signs, have had failure on compound curves, less metallic choices, the chromes are garbage; the chrome warps the roll if not wound very tightly before any installs, vinyl has high plasticiser risk running to surface; this helps extend the life of the vinyl, however risky to layer with another brand of product for a multi color effect.

3M

Pros - customers like the name, reflective product is the best.

Cons - some colors way too translucent, low color choices, normally too pricey

Sharpline

Pros - awesome metallic choices, the best choice of pinstripes.

Cons - way too expensive if you aren't a francise, I believe this is 3M in disguise.

------------------
Graphic Impact
located in BC Canada
gisigns@sprint.ca

[This message has been edited by Donna in BC (edited March 02, 2000).]

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B Daniel
Visitor
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Daniel   Email B Daniel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Oracal for over two years now and have been nothing but pleased. Yes it feels slightly differant, but we all feel it's easier to weed. When I cut some Gerber or Universal H.P. the weeders complain! I've had no failures either with the intermediate or H.P. Good consistent glossy look. For you Edge users it works well on the Edge too. the vinyl goes all the way to the edge of the paper.

On another note, it was mentioned several times about franchises getting a discount. Maybe they do, but sometimes you may be able to get one too if you only just ask! I worked for a sign supply place for a year and a half and realized sometimes all it takes is for you to ask your salesman. Even now I get a discount from my supplier for certain items, Gerber included. I pay the list price for Oracal, but it is good price to start with to start with. Some places may require a minimum monthly purchase, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask!

------------------
Beth Daniel
Murfreesboro, TN

Posts: 86 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Hodge
Visitor
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Hodge   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a choice between Arlon and Oracal I would choose Arlon. I tried Oracal and the biggest problem I had was getting it off the release liner, it really hangs on. I will not be using it again.
Here down under 3M have a nice cast vinyl with a plastic liner, nice but expensive.

------------------
Gray Hodge camriver@southcom.com.au
Cam River Signs
Somerset, Tasmania,
Down Under

Posts: 441 | From: Somerset, Tasmania | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!