Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Safer paint.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safer paint.
Diane Wilhelm
Visitor
Member # 1391

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Diane Wilhelm         Edit/Delete Post 
As the mother of three small children and a budding sign freelancer I am very concerned about the lead in my One Shot. Is there a good sign paint out there with comparable workability and durability but without the serious health hazards?

------------------
Diane Wilhelm
DW Signs

Posts: 2 | From: Epworth, IA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trevor Cluck
Visitor
Member # 795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trevor Cluck         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I don't believe that One-Shot contains lead anymore. I had a can around from almost ten years ago that mentioned lead, but not anymore. I don't think you can get any kind of paint that still has lead in it.

If your still worried about the fact that its oil based, you could try Deka sign enamels. There a water base, but don't expect the same results as One-Shot.

------------------
Trevor
cluck's deSiGN studio
Gettysburg, PA
graphics@netrax.net
ICQ #46510836

Posts: 99 | From: gettysburg, pa usa | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Ledbetter
Visitor
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Ledbetter   Email Kevin Ledbetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diane,
One Shot has been doing everything possible to remove lead from our products without sacrificing the quality that sign artists expect. At this time there are only 13 colors within the Lettering Enamel line that still contain lead-based pigments. These colors are:
100-L Vermillion
102-L Fire Red
104-L Bright Red
120-L Coral
124-L Orange
130-L Primrose Yellow
132-L Lemon Yellow
134-L Chrome Yellow
142-L Emerald Green
144-L Medium Green
148-L Dark Green
168-L Salmon Pink
191-L Imitation Gold
Every other product we make is lead-free.
This includes our Graphic Coat Bulletin Enamels which are available in almost the same colors as the Lettering Enamels. Another line we manufacture that has a similar color pallette as the Lettering Enamels is our Gloss Enamel line, however many of our distributors have been reluctant to stock this line. If you need me to, I can probably hook you up with a distributor that carries this line of product. If you have any addition question regarding 1 SHOT, feel free to contact me.
Kevin Ledbetter

------------------
Kevin Ledbetter
One Shot LLC
kledbett@netnitco.net http://www.1shot.com

"You've got One Shot to get it right"

[This message has been edited by Kevin Ledbetter (edited February 29, 2000).]

Posts: 117 | From: Valparaiso, IN USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diane, the lead in the paints is essential for a lasting colorfast finish in exterior
uses.There are no known practical color pigments that hold up without fading to replace these colors or I feel quite certain the paint manufacturers would quickly switch to a safer product,considering all the epa restrictions & red tape on hazardous chemicals.This is the reason graphic artists
paint's were given a variance from the paint industry standards & allowed to keep a lead content.If you exercise practical caution & use some common sense the lead content poses little or no hazard,just don't let the children in or around your paints when in use.Use plenty of ventilation & don't let tha kids chew on your artwork.I also suggest ya use a waterless hand cleaner after every use to keep it off your your skin & out of your own system.Don't chew or bite your nails either,...etc. I have 3 fine boys that
grew up around sign paint without any problems whatsoever other tha the ocaissional
messed up article of clothing. My oldest is due to get his degree in math from NC State University this coming year & plans to go on to to Princeton to get his masters & possibly doctorate there.The other two are in advanced
curriculums in thier respective schools.These
children have never known life without the lead hazards around them & were taught at an early age to stay away from the paints,without adult supervision.The primary
effort to remove lead from paints was due to children ingesting lead by chewing & eating chipping & peeling paints from old housing that was painted with the white leads
in years gone by.
Rule number 1 don't eat tha paint!
Rule number 2 don't chew or sniff signwork!
Rule number 3 keep your hands clean!
hope this helps ya!

------------------
fly low...timi/NC
is,.....Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC
members.xoom.com/Signz

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diane,
I too used to be a little concerned over lead in paint. I liked what it did for the paint, but I was concerned about health.

I listened to a lecture by Bob Bond, famous pinstriper of many years. During his pinstriping demo, Bob related a story to the crowd. As he was striping a panel, I noticed that Bob palettes his sword striper between his finger and thumb. He's done this for many years. He decided to have himself checked for lead. He was sure that he had lead in his system, but to his surprise, he tested clean.

I think that as long as you don't ingest the paint or breath in paint dust from sanding it, you should be fine.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I was always concerned about this too. So that is why I started using Benj. Moore. The Impervo is great! Actually though, I think the soil around your house is probably even more of a concern. I had all new top soil brought in just to be safe. (yes I am a mom that tends to worry alot too)

------------------
Cheryl Nordby "surf" signs by Cheryl!
"surfsigns"
a hop and skip from Seattle
surfsigns@excite.com

ICQ# 36992184

Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shon lenzo
Visitor
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon lenzo   Email shon lenzo       Edit/Delete Post 
One Shot Rules!!!
Nothing compares to it.

1)Use adequate ventilation,respirator if spraying
2)Keep off hand as much as possible
-Use gloves when mixing,pouring, etc.
3)Dispose of properly.
4)Begin new hobby of removing cuticles soaked with paint from fingernails
---Hours of fun!
-Shon

------------------
SiriusGraphics
"Don't applaud--Just throw money!!"

[This message has been edited by shon lenzo (edited February 29, 2000).]

Posts: 286 | From: Manzanita,Oregon | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the issue of lead in paint is way way overblown!
There are many forms of lead compounds, some very stable, others not so! Which brings up a problem to the Government Regulators...who cannot distingwish various shades of grey - ONLY black or white! If it's lead... it's gotta go, because they aren't about to try to figure out the differences!
"white lead", as previously used in paint, is toxic, but has not been used in paint for over 30 years, primarily because titanium makes a better pigment!!!
Various shades of yellow and green are based on lead chromate, which is exteremly stable (that's why bulldozers are yellow) and shades of red are lead dioxide, again extemely stable (that's why bridges, such as the Golden Gate Bridge is that color)!!!!
I have been been painting for OVER 1/2 A CENTURY...and I AIN'T DEAD YET!!!!!
Simply follow a couple of basic rules:
1. don't drink or eat paint!
2. clean up your hands before putting them in your mouth or handling food!
3, clean the paint off the rest of yourself so that you don't look like a slob!

The solvents and other additives in paint are a lot more toxic then the lead on the pigments! So be neat!

------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA
(714) 521-4810
ICQ # 330407
"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Ledbetter
Visitor
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Ledbetter   Email Kevin Ledbetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diane,
The artists answering your post all made very good points; we all need to treat the products we use in our trade with respect. Whether we like it our not, we are surrounded by chemicals that pose some risk to ourselves and our families if not used in a responsible manner. While I was working in my garage last night I looked around and found many items from the Weed N Feed we put on our lawns, to the spot of anti-freeze in the drive where the lazy uncle's 78 Chevy was parked, to the can of gasoline for the mower (my parents would have killed me if they knew the stuff I did with gasoline when I was 10). Hazardous chemical and children need to be kept separated.
Sometimes it boils down to a matter of economics; would you like your state highway department to use a non-lead paint for that yellow line down the center of the road at a added cost of many thousands of dollars a year, or would that money be better spent testing the water supply we all consume. One Shot products along with most other paint products, including water-based enamels pose health and safety risk if not used properly. Several of our employees at One Shot have been working with lead chromates in excess of 30 years without adverse health problems. Common sense, the use of proper personal protection, and good housekeeping are essential for the safe use of all chemicals, whether lead is the issue, or not.

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Ledbetter
One Shot LLC
kledbett@netnitco.net
http://www.1shot.com

"You've got One Shot to get it right"

Posts: 117 | From: Valparaiso, IN USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trevor Cluck
Visitor
Member # 795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trevor Cluck         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you learn something new everyday... thought the lead had to be gone by now. It doesn't matter to me, one shot's still the best. I don't have a problem with my son around the paint, he knows not to touch daddy's wet paint. And I can't recall a time when I saw a little kid knawing one of my signs around town.

------------------
Trevor
cluck's deSiGN studio
Gettysburg, PA
graphics@netrax.net
ICQ #46510836

Posts: 99 | From: gettysburg, pa usa | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Bustamante
Visitor
Member # 370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Bustamante   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bustamante   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All excellent posts. I like the fact that a rep from OneShot was kind enough to reply with an informative post.

I agree with most of the letterheads here, OneShot is the best.

Now that thats taken care of. I can't get over that the last name of the OneShot's rep. "Ledbetter". That has to be a cyber name.

I like that this paint has lead. Why do you think it covers in "OneShot"? The lead. Why does it flow so nicely from the brush? The lead. How come it holds up for so long? The lead.

Which leads me to my next question.

"Is there a lead additive for the paints that don't have it?"

"I wish it came in something like a "Smoothie" bottle. Yea! Just add a couple of drops, and Bamm!. Your paint lasts another five years."

"Do you think you guys (at the oneShot factory) could put more lead in color 104-L Bright Red? I seem to have a problem of it fading after one or two years."

"By the way, I very seldom use any other paint."

"A proud user of OneShot since 1972."

------------------
Richard Bustamante
12646 E. American Ave.
Del Rey, Ca. 93616
e-mail: signwiz@valleyone.net
www.studio-b.net

Posts: 781 | From: Nevada City, California | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Wilhelm
Visitor
Member # 1391

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Diane Wilhelm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, thanks for the replies. I feel a bit better now. And don't worry, I've amended most of my old bad habits. I no longer hold brushes in my mouth and I try not to get paint up to my elbows. I even wear latex gloves when painting even though it kind of makes me feel like a surgeon working on a patient. Still love my 1 Shot. (Fess up Mr. Ledbetter, is that really your last name?)

------------------
Diane Wilhelm
DW Signs

Posts: 2 | From: Epworth, IA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to chime in for Chromatic. We have been doing much the same and since 1990 have been able to remove most of the leads from all of the enamels in the line. The main lead besides a trace amount in the drier is in the lead chromate which is the yellow pigment and is in any color containing yellow. Be sure to read over your MSDS to be aware of these heavy metals, their safe use and disposal.

After many years of lettering signs I too had the lead test and my doctor informed me that I had no more lead in my system than anyone who has lived through the age of leaded gasoline. Furthermore, the heavy leads are not water soluable (or blood soluable) like the sweet leads such as white lead were. Sweet leads are no longer used in commercial paints. While all leads are still hazardous in many ways, lead poisening in the traditional sense comes from soluable leads.

If you do not have current MSDS check our website at signfinishes.com You can also e-mail specific questions to me or contact the lab at 800-233-3301.

------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
Greeley, Colorado, USA
oldgilt@aol.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!