Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Copper Painting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Copper Painting
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 5 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Folks, i'm presently doing a proposal for a restaurant thats wants some triangles painted about 250' in length, they are about 3"-10" in height, I was given some plastic type film with all the triangles already cut to be used as a stencil, but it is only about 8 feet long, and I know it "might" work, but I know I would have to sprayglue the back with some 3m 77 but somehow after a few uses, I think it will start to bleed if it doesn't begin to from the beginning. oh yeah and a swatch of the paint, it was done with a brush. looks smooth but you can see the brush strokes. they want it rolled on. This waterbasepaint is called Topper Copper, I was given some of this paint. It was about 2 inches above the bottom of the already been used gallon can. it seemed lumpy. I used a black foam roller. and cut some paint mask from the puter, i will use this instead of their material, it'll work better anyway. the paint kind of looks like it will leave a texured look, actually looks like a piece of copper metal. kind of looks good to me, but it's not my call.
Ok my question is, it there another way this can be done without the textured look? also, I wonder if this had been a new gallon, and really well shook up, would make a difference? oh yeah one more thing will it tarnish? I read on the can if it is sealed it will change color, so I don't want to kill the copper look, so thats out. Have any of you folks used this product or something simular? I just found out 1-Shot carries a copper paint, tomorrow when the supplier is open I will check and see if they have it in stock, heard its not used that much, maybe in this area...Cisco

------------------
FranCisco Vargas
aka: Cisco
aka:Traveling Millennium Sign Artist
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the 1 Shot copper sometimes and everone's happy with it. So far (2 years)
it still looks new.

Good luck,

Frank

Anyway, it works great here in Upstate NY. Good to know we can clear coat it if we need to.

[This message has been edited by Frank Smith (edited March 01, 2000).]

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1-Shot copper tarnishes fast here.

Cisco, Whatcha think 'bout making a pounce pattern and stretching 12' application tape down the wall, hand cutting the triangles, and rolling it. The app tape can conform well to irregularities on the wall better than vinyl masks, is a fraction of the costs, and cuts real easily.

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Ledbetter
Visitor
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Ledbetter   Email Kevin Ledbetter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cisco,
In order to protect the 1 SHOT Metaillic Copper against tarnish, we recommend topcoating with our 4003 Sign Restoring Clear. It will seal the Copper from the elements without running the risk of lifting the paint film as might happen with other clearcoats with "hotter" solvents such as our 4005 Speed Dry UV Clear or automotive clearcoats. For most other applications, we do not recommend this product as a clear coat because of the amber cast it can give to the project, however on copper, the amber cast is rather invisible.

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Ledbetter
One Shot LLC
kledbett@netnitco.net
http://www.1shot.com

"You've got One Shot to get it right"

Posts: 117 | From: Valparaiso, IN USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 14 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank good to know that it lasts. but not sure what area your'e in?

Rick, hummmmm not a bad idea, but its also in a busy construction site, I know the transfer tape is less expensive, but I feel cutting them on the puter would be much much faster, due to the fact there will be about 350 or more, of them to be cut. I think it's a case of time versus materials, but now you have me thinking. oh yeah it's an inside job on smooth walls.

------------------
FranCisco Vargas
aka: Cisco
aka:Traveling Millennium Sign Artist
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935

"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post 
how thin is the tinnest line??
Just follow lines with the roller?
I sometimes cut my rolls less wide
I also seen they sell some smaller rolls
would need some premask at the corners though
SteinS

------------------
Stein Sæther
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!