Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Poor man's router?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poor man's router?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever seen one of these? Is it any good? www.ShopBotTools.com

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.
Blastin' "woodesigns" in Chipley, FL
"autograph your work with excellence"
webbsignstudio@digitalexp.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post 
"you supply computer, router, and table"?? Sounds like a deal to me! I don't think I'd feel comfortable building a CNC Router.

------------------
Tim Whitcher
Quality Signs & Design
107 E Adrian St
Blissfield, MI 49228
qualitysigns@hotmail.com

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did I generate two posts? I only posted once. Tried to delete one and that didn't work.

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErnieBalch
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking at low end routers since I built my own in 1993. My system cost $10k and a lot of grey hair.

I'm impressed with the low cost approach ShopBot came up with. They have improved it a lot in the last couple of years. Although it still doesn't look rigid enough.

The problem with "rolling your own" is the lack of support. You have to locate and fix every problem with the system hardware, electronics and software. You are trading your time and effort against the high cost of a Commercial unit. You have to treat it like a hobby because it takes a lot of time.
Also it really helps to have friends that are experts in machine design and software.

"If you want to work ON a router make it yourself; If you want to USE the router buy a commercial unit"

ernie

------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Wholesale Routing

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be checking out the Shopbot router shortly. Our high school has one. I know they have been using it daily in the woodworking shop all year. I plan on purchasing one soon if it looks ok. I'll post a report here as soon as I check it out.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Rees
Visitor
Member # 211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Rees   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Rees   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wayne, A router is in our plans for this year and ShopBot with its under $5000 price tag is on our list to check out. I first heard about it over a year ago and actually acquired a manual for it. Looks simple enough. Looks like it would work. But I have yet to see one in operation. Aside from it's strength and accuracy, I'm a little concerned about the software. It seems like so much VOODO. And I mean all the brands. Until I actually make one work I'll remain skeptical.

I pestered the hell out of all the router vendors at the USSC show in January at Atlantic City to compare cost and features. (Of course ShopBot wasn't there.) Each maker told why everyone elses stuff was junk and theirs was the only "safe" choice for trouble-free, intuitive production. The whole experience left me suspicious. My suspicion is that they ALL work pretty much the same and pretty reliably - kinda like plotters. The scare tactics remind me of "Sign Layout" software sales pitches. What is the real truth? Until you've compared all the packages side by side you can't know - and that ain't gonna happen. So we're left at the mercy of hype. I hate that.

I must see that ShopBot in operation and what the software interface looks like. Preferably get it to cut an actual job from layout to final pass. Then I'll see. If it can possibly work, it is a way to get automated for practically the cost of a vinyl plotter.

With "Real" routers starting at about $15000, this sounds too good to be true. Has anyone actually used one?????

------------------
Joe Rees
Cape Craft Signs
(Cape Cod, MA)
http://www.capecraft.com
http://www.dave-joe-show.com
e-mail: joerees@capecraft.com

Posts: 1974 | From: Orleans, MA, Cape Cod, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Himes
Visitor
Member # 1390

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Himes   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Himes       Edit/Delete Post 
Man this site has really changed. I haven't been here in about a year, Looks good Steve! Anyway We have a Shopbot and it is worth it's weight in gold. In fact I'm going to contact them Monday morn about advertising here. The machine is definitly rigid enough(although I highly recommend buying the steel table or taking shopbots plans for one and having a local welder build one for you). We use it mainly for HDU, but have also used it for polished gold alum. laminated to gatorboard. I'll be honest there is a huge learning curve, much greater than learning sign making software and plotters, If your are planning on just cutting blanks and stuff like that it's pretty easy to learn. But if you are planning on doing 3D carving, plan on ALOT of reading and practicing on blue board, it's a heck of alot cheaper than practicing on HDU. So far the only Sign software that will run it directly is Signlab with the router module, but I think more will come soon when they see this thing is for real.Don't be intimidated by assembling it yourself the nice thing about that is if something breaks or is not right you can repair it yourself. Give them a call if you are interested they are very helpful. Later, Jon
P.S. I am not affiliated with them in any way other than an extremely HAAPY customer!

------------------

Posts: 12 | From: Moline, IL USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'm leaning towards buing one of these even more now! However, I would like to se one in operation. Thanks again.

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.

Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited our local high school and saw the ShopBot in action. I was definatly impressed. They had a toy router in it and it still cut lettering in oak at speeds that surprised me.

Now the only issue I have is software.

------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwood@up.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrian Howard
Visitor
Member # 491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrian Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Howard       Edit/Delete Post 
i have just installed an 8x4 shopbot and it has all the features of the gerber , camtech machines but it does not have the fancy case etc. have used the others and this is just as good, i use signlab 5 and it has a spt driver (shop bot tools) it cuts, carves like the rest even 3d, so if your customer doesn't see the beast buy one, the finished sign looks the same as the top dollar machines

Regards Adrian
Signrite UK
The 3rd Shopbotter in the UK I believe!

------------------

Posts: 42 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!