Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Secrets for Photographing 3-D Polished Brass Laminate Sign?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secrets for Photographing 3-D Polished Brass Laminate Sign?
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lettervillians:

Anyone have any secrets for photographing a reflective surface like polished brass laminate in a dark barroom. I just completed a three dimensional sign that I can't seem to get a decent picture of despite a decent camera.

Thanks in advance!

Wishing I was at the Migration!

Happy Signing....Marty

------------------
Marty Happy
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada

e-mail: "happyad@sk.sympatico.ca"

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marty. If you're using a flash, try angling the flash off the ceiling above your area that you intend to shoot. Better still, if you can use a hand-held flash that you can aim so the reflective surface doesn't bounce the light directly back at you. Your subject is a tough one, but by changing the path of illumination, you may get a better result.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail kjmlhenry@home.

10,000 sperm swimming for that egg...and I won!

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marty,

Have you tried KODAX MAX 800 film? Works great for me! Then again lighting is tricky, and to get it right you might have to set up tri-pod lights, yada yada yada...like a professional would do!

Wouldn't it be great if signmakers were also great photographers so they could take a good picture of their great sign? Does that make cents? hahahahah

------------------
Go Get 'Em..... :)
AKA Raptorman on #Letterheads mIRC Chat
Draper The Signmaker
Bloomington Illinois USA

Proud 2-yr. $upporter of this Web Site (May 1999-May 2001)

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Allan
Visitor
Member # 52

Icon 14 posted      Profile for CJ Allan   Author's Homepage   Email CJ Allan       Edit/Delete Post 
Marty.............
Its really simple.........It's called "Dulling Spray"......you get it at your local camera shop, for a couple of bucks.
All of my work is done on highly polished surfaces, and it as very important for me to keep a good record of everything I engrave.....especially firearms, and High-end knives.....(in the 2/3 thousand dollar range). I've also used modeling clay to dull the surface for camera work in a pinch.

You can check out my web-site to see the results of doing it this way.......ALL of the work on there is HIGHLY polished, or chromed.

Theres a bunch of other ways to do what you're trying to accomplish.....so if ya want to hear about light tents, overcast days, and a few others I've been "FORCED" to learn............give me a call.....

Hope this helps.............cj

------------------
CJ Allan
CJs Engraving & Designing
Hazel, Ky.
270-492-6209
cjallan@cjs-engraving.com
www.cjs-engraving.com

A Proud "Professional Guest" of this site!!

[This message has been edited by CJ Allan (edited February 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by CJ Allan (edited February 25, 2000).]

Posts: 1284 | From: Hazel, KY. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErnieBalch
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just use an old white sheet or white paper to provide broad diffuse lighting. Avoid bright point sources like flash units.

ernie

------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Wholesale Routing

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Thomas
Visitor
Member # 1356

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Robert Thomas   Email Robert Thomas       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm into photograpy a bit, take two helpers with ya to the bar with two spotlights, tape some paper or white translucent or frosted vinyl over the lights to diffuse it & point them at the ceiling, you can see how it's gonna look before you shoot or even better if you had two light colored umbrellas you could point the lights into the umbrella and reflect the light to the sign. Robert Thomas, formerly of Naples, Fl.(Soviet Republic of Collier County) See post......(#*{?% County Regulations)

------------------

Posts: 965 | From: Bonita Springs, Florida USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!