Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard   
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Old Archives » Applying Vinyl to Galvanized Metal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Applying Vinyl to Galvanized Metal?
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lettervillians:

Is there any special attention that should be paid in applying vinyl lettering to a raw unpainted galvanized metal door. I know that galvanized metal can repel paint so it requires special treatment and primer. Any experience anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Happy Signing.....Marty

------------------
Marty Happy
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada
happyad@sk.sympatico.ca

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/happyad

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

A proud supporter of this great site!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although zinc is not the best thing to hold paint the main thing that creates the adhesion problem is the"fish oil" they use to treat the panels when they are manufactured(It's applied to keep the sheets from sticking and corroding).

There are 2 things you can do...wait for the door to naturally age (a year or two should do it) or go to your local automotive paint
store and ask for a bottle of Dupont Metal Prep...(follow the directions on the bottle)it will turn the metal slightly dark
but the sheen can be brought back alive(if thats important) with a little 400 grit wet or dry sand paper(used dry).

This all sounds complicated but it can be done in a matter of minutes and you'll like the results.If you are unsure try it on a piece of galvanized scrap before you do the door.

"Werks fer me it'll werk fer you"

------------------
Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.

[This message has been edited by Monte Jumper (edited February 23, 2000).]

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you only got one reply ,I'll stick my kneck on the log. We have applied vinyl to galvanized metal (old stuff) several times! Found no problems,long term or otherwise. Roger

------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
Merlin, OR

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indoor or outdoor?

I lettered a galvanized panel 10 or 15 years ago; it's still hanging inside a storefront window and it looks as good as the day I lettered it. I used lettering enamel, though, and let the galvanized background show.

I remember being leary of the substrate and believe I wiped it with lotsa paint thinner and then methyl alcohol. No sanding, though.

If I were doing it in vinyl for outdoor use, I might want to edge-seal the lettering. I would leave a small test edge unsealed to see what happens.

Good luck,

Frank

------------------

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a project that we did about 4 years ago...the customer specifically requested a galvanized 2'x20'sign....I was afraid to paint it, so I sheeted the whole surface with vinyl.

Now, 4 yrs down the line, the vinyl is a little faded...but no peeling or repulsion at all. Do not be afraid of it. these were NEW sheets I got from a buddy in the heat and air business.

just my 2 cents

------------------

Master's Touch Signs & Screenprinting
Clinton AR
ICQ 17430008
Signs of Excellence!!!

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marty, I've never applied vinyl to galvanized, but I made a welded sign frame out of galvanized fence posts several years ago. I was told that the paint would never stick but it still looks good as new. After welding it together, I thoroughly rinsed it with 1. lacquer thinner 2. mineral spirits 3. white vinegar (can't remember if the order is correct) I then primed with white primer especially for galvanized metal(I think Glidden) then topcoated it. Think maybe it was the vinegar then the mineral spirits then..... oh well, it worked!

------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Sign Studio,Inc.
Blastin' "woodesigns" in Chipley, FL
"autograph your work with excellence"
webbsignstudio@digitalexp.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Duncan
Visitor
Member # 316

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Duncan   Email Mike Duncan       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work in a sheet metal shop when I was a kid, well-I'm still a kid, just an older kid!! Anyway, all we ever did to "galvie" was wipe it down good with vinegar, and then primed and painted it. I would think that wax and grease remover would probably do about the same thing.

------------------
Mike Duncan
2315 H Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
eves 360-738-9846
days 360-671-7165
mikeduncan99@home.com
$$ Supporter, 1998 & 1999

"Good Luck many times comes disguised as hard work."

Posts: 367 | From: Astoria, Oregon 97103 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have tremendous success neutralizing the galvanize with Kangaroo Urine!

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!